IC Hong Kong versus IC Grand Stanford comparison

Old Nov 13, 2015, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
IC Hong Kong versus IC Grand Stanford comparison

Hoping an FTer RA based out in the Asia/China area could advise regards current upgrade, benefits treatment, location advantages and disadvantages.
I booked IC GS for day one as the lower quality IC. and flight from Bangkok lands 6pm , then I can have 8am RA checkin Wednesday for IC HK

As in Bangkok I just booked 3 nights for an end of November HK side trip on Double11 promo hotel rates that ends this evening.
Still to book my flight BKK-HKG but looking at Emirates First Class on A380 , 22000 thb 1-way, and then later Cathay Pacific HKG-MNL for the usual Xmas scuba trip.
Any tips for a cheaper Emirates rate will be great fully accepted ^

Tues - IC GS , King Bed Deluxe Side Harbour View = prepaid hk$1732
Wed - IC HK , Deluxe Harbour View Room (1-level below J/S) =}
Thu. - IC HK, ditto =}prepaid hk$6517

Updated Info - Initial hotel room modify during the day after booking
IC GS - modify = 2 Double Beds Deluxe (view not mentioned !)

IC HK - modify = Deluxe Junior Suite
(Disappointing, So I really hope for better at checkin time ?
- Same upgrade as Currently for RA booking entry level room 3-levels lower and hk$990 less per night
- and is the same 1-level upgrade as "plain" Ambassador receives)

Last edited by scubaccr; Nov 14, 2015 at 4:47 am Reason: added room modify update made day after booking
Old Nov 13, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: IHG Royal Ambassador
[IC GS]
Pros: cheap, renovated room, shuttle bus service
Cons: location, view, club access is not guaranteed for RA, selection of F&B, Agraria toiletries even in the suite.
Others: They offer Moët Champagne in club lounge

[IC HK]
Pros: View (guaranteed harbour view J/S for RA), guaranteed club access for RA, location, selection of F&B, rich mini-bar, grant All RA benefit even in point stay
Cons: Rate is usually pricy. dated rooms (but well maintained), no shuttle bus service
Others: They offer Perrier-Jouët Champagne in club lounge
Old Nov 13, 2015, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Raynyan
Cons: Agraria toiletries even in the suite.
One year ago I had toiletries by Salvatore Ferragamo on the club floor (17?) while Agraria products on the 5th or 6th so I am surprised you had them in a suite. Ferragamo products have been in a standard room at the IC HK.

The first impression of IC GS was pretty good. Early check in (8 am) without a fee and invitation to the bar on the ground floor. Staff was very attentive and communicative without being flashy. Friendly pinay singers at the bar. During night hours (10pm-1am) you might run into female freelancers at the square next to the hotel which might bother some people.

IC HK was rather strange. The lady walking me to my room kept trying to talk me into a (pricy) dinner reservation. It's alright to mention it once but not 3-4 times when I tell her that I have made plans already. At the same time the bell boy suggested to buy drinks at the 7/11 nearby. That is what I usually do but it was a weird advise by an employee. But the hotel is great. I enjoyed the harbour view from their jacuzzi (really awesome) and during breakfast hours. I only had partial harbour view. If this is RA guaranteed you should go for it. You won't get a better view.

Note: I am (and have been during the stays) only a platinum ambassador.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

IC - GS (RA Upgrade is Choice, Lounge Access OR Better Upgrade)

At checkin (20.00) told that IC-GS these days offers RA's a choice ie
Club with minimal upgrade OR b)Better Upgrade without Lounge Access
a)For RA Booking Entry Level INTERCONTINENTAL DELUXE ROOM
can have Club Room with Lounge Access(probably no Harbour View but could get lucky with a Harbour View)
b)Side View Room but no Lounge access (although can then purchase lounge upsell separately, could be best way to go)

My side view room upgraded w/o Lounge Access to King Bed J/S, two separate rooms, since lounge no good to me with my checkin 8pm, depart 8am schedule.

It is also possible to purchase upsell of Lounge Access at Ambassador Discount, and even 1person Lounge Fee instead of 2persons lounge upsell. As such it is usually better for RA to
i)Take the better upgrade w/o Lounge
then
ii)Purchase Lounge as upsell addon

Total per night is then lower compared to take room+Lounge AND purchase room level upgrade

Last edited by scubaccr; Nov 24, 2015 at 10:41 pm
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

IC - HK (Amb+RA Upgrade Paths)

IC-HK gives RA's Club access which ever room they book since 2014. Lounge access does not allow restaurant breakfast here.

Also if checkin early (eg 8am as RA) Lounge Access officially starts at standard checkin time so not allowed bf on morning of early checkin, ie 3 breakfasts on 2night stay. I asked and was instead allowed to have breakfast on early checkin morning, in lieu of breakfast of checkout day.

Room Levels/Upgrade Paths, nominal tarrif in hk$
1. Intercontinental Superior Room 7,200
2. Intercontinental Deluxe Room 7,800
* 3. Executive Room 7,900
4. Intercontinental Harbour View Room 8,900
5. Inter'l Deluxe Harbour View Room 9,400
*. Superior Junior Suite 10,200 (Rooms xx01, xx45 , not 3rd Floor)
6. Deluxe Junior Suite 10,700 (Rooms xx08, xx16 but not 3rd floor, eg 316 is an Exec Suite)
7. Executive Suite 12,750
* Superior Suite 12,750 (yes, same rate as Exec Suite)
8. Deluxe Suite 19,500
then by direct purchase only
9. Terrace Suite hk$40,000
10. CEO Suite hk$52,000
11. Presidential Suite (1 Bedroom) hk$98,000
12. Presidential Suite (3 Bedroom) hk$108,000
13. Presidential Suite (5 Bedroom) hk$118,000
Extras
3rd Person $800
Lounge Access (1 person) $1080
Lounge Access (2 person) $1380
Lounge Access (3 person) $2380

++Free Limo Change for the better
Rates for Deluxe J/S and above include Roundtrip Airport Limo Transfer (previously was for Deluxe Suite and above)

Ambassador Upgrade =>
note:- Exec Room (always), Superior Junior Suite (usually) ignored for Ambassador 1-Level Upgrade path purposes
1-level up when booking Superior Room through to Deluxe Harbour View, Deluxe JS, Exec Suite
ZERO Upgrade with booking Deluxe Suite and up

RA Upgrade =>
note #1:- Deluxe, Exec, Harbour Viiew, Dlx Harbour View Rooms are bypassed for RA upgrade path
note #2:- Currently RA receives Lounge Access foc
Entry Level "Superior Room" -> Superior J/S
Also "Deluxe Room" -> Superior J/S
Harbour View Room -> Deluxe J/S
Deluxe Harbour View Room -> Deluxe J/S
Deluxe J/S -> Exec Suite
Exec Suite -> Deluxe Suite
Deluxe Suite -> No upgrade (Terrace Suite and up are excluded Suites)
ZERO Upgrade with booking Deluxe Suite and up

Warning, IC-HK RA upgrade path creates two anomalies,
i)Both Superior, Deluxe, Rooms upgrade to Superior JS. (RA's should not book Deluxe Room)
ii)Both Harbour View and Deluxe Harbour View Rooms upgrade to Deluxe JS. (RA's should not book Deluxe Harbour View Room)

Hotel checkin policy if RA becomes aware of this anomaly after booking IC-HK will neither refund the extra $xxx/night RA has inadvertently wasted nor upgrade extra level instead of partial refund

My checkin (I had unknowingly booked the anomaly rate of Deluxe Full Harbour View)
================================================== =====
o Ambassador Checkin Agent confirmed the above, anomaly that I was alas getting same upgrade as If I had book lesser and cheaper room type.
o I explained as first visit here, to ensure Full Harbour View , I booked that, as for all I knew a Side View Harbour View could be upgraded to a sideview suite, so would IC-HK refund difference of hk$500/night on this ocasion
o Agent phoned her manager(s) and 60seconds later said on this 1-time-only ocasion they would be happy to upgrade me 2-levels to an Exec Suite.
o I said I was happy with either Exec Suite or partial refund, and Agent mentioned hotel never refund from room rate, but yes I get an Exec Suite this visit.

I've amended IC-HK Upgrade Path Info above Thurs 26th November after chat with Duty Manager (Roman)
================================================== ==================
(Lounge staff had new room category/rate cards but were had different onfo on upgrade paths, Reception Amb desk was more right)
o Went to book a stay for Chinese New Year Monday 8th February, after seeing Deluxe J/S xx16 to compare with my Exec Suite
o Thrown curve ball by Lounge staff who had different ideas from Ground floor Ambassador Checkin / Reservations Staff
o Lounge staff had newer IC-HK tarrif cards, with updated rates and insertion of room type Superior J/S and superior suite
(It is reservations who process the upgrades here at IC-HK, not Club Lounge staff)
o Due conflicting Info we were unable to agree on which room to book for my February stay so Duty Manager came to lounge to cover the issue
o In this instance Lounge staff were incorrect
o I've added room numbers to show which rooms are Superior/Deluxe Junior Suites
++ Superior J/S xx01 (r/h/end looking at harbour) , xx45 (l/h/end looking out at harbour).
note:-Superior J/S are bBigger rooms than Deluxe J/S but deemed to have lesser view so category below Deluxe J/S )
++ Deluxe J/S xx16 (almost center of causeway, two windows, 1st straight ahead , 2nd angled so can view down harbour)
++ Deluxe J/S xx08 (angled inwards on r/h/s , above 3rd floor, floor shape is \__/ , on 3rd floor shape is ____ )

Last edited by scubaccr; Nov 26, 2015 at 6:36 pm Reason: New Pricing Card/Rates and now shows Superior J/S + Superior Suite
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

IC - GS Stay

to follow,
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

IC - HK Stay

to follow
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:08 am

IC HK upgrade policy

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...l#post23225361

As far as I know, this upgrade policy is still active as of today.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
Can I assume that if I have an upcoming 6 night point stay in the ICHK in Jan that if I purchase RA status now, I will get an upgrade or Club entry or both?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eyuro
Can I assume that if I have an upcoming 6 night point stay in the ICHK in Jan that if I purchase RA status now, I will get an upgrade or Club entry or both?
You can not purchase RA whic is by invitation only

You can purchase Ambassador for us$200

Invitation to RA requires minimum of 60 IHG nights of which at least 20 nights must be at IC brand, spreadacross at least 3x different IC hotels. Also only paid qual rate nights count towards RA, unlike Plat/Spire (where award nights count)
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:08 am
Original Poster

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...l#post23225361

As far as I know, this upgrade policy is still active as of today.
That post is 2014?? Things change and time moves on.

My post this Nov2015 is the result of sitting down with the Senior Ambassador Checkin Receptionist, and having the upgrade paths for both Amb + RA fully explained.

Any older posts related to historical treatment for RA's can and should be discounted moving forward.

Whilst some regulars repeating at IC-HK could maybe be treated better that would definitely be an exception to IC-HK's current upgrade standards (I was told repeaters are not treated differently sine now now all RA get Lounge since 2014 )

Whilst rates I posted are the target room rates, the upgrade path holds true if you book room cheaper on a paid qual rate, eg company rate.

I will check and post how award night entry level room booking is treated before I checkout Friday (Sorry, I forgot to ask during my checkin)
Old Nov 26, 2015, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by scubaccr
That post is 2014?? Things change and time moves on.

My post this Nov2015 is the result of sitting down with the Senior Ambassador Checkin Receptionist, and having the upgrade paths for both Amb + RA fully explained.

Any older posts related to historical treatment for RA's can and should be discounted moving forward.

Whilst some regulars repeating at IC-HK could maybe be treated better that would definitely be an exception to IC-HK's current upgrade standards (I was told repeaters are not treated differently sine now now all RA get Lounge since 2014 )

Whilst rates I posted are the target room rates, the upgrade path holds true if you book room cheaper on a paid qual rate, eg company rate.

I will check and post how award night entry level room booking is treated before I checkout Friday (Sorry, I forgot to ask during my checkin)
I visit IC HK every quarter. Policy is definitely not changed.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 8:11 am
Original Poster

I visit IC HK every quarter. Policy is definitely not changed.
I just editted my post #5 RA upgrade category/tarriff block posted above. I suspect more in line with what upgrades you see.

Had a chat with Duty Manager as I was unable to book my room for Chinese New Year as I was getting conflicting upgrade info from Lounge Ladies versus Reception Amb Desk Checkin Ladies

I knew which room I wanted to end up in for Chinese New Year, but due to the conflicting "ordinary" staff views, it was impossible to know which was correct pre-upgrade room I needed for February.

Reason Lounge staff had a newer tarriff card with 2new category types inserted of Superior J/S and Superior Suite and modified rates for rooms (not that we ever book these super high tarrifs online).

Lounge Staff newercard differences included
o Increased tarriffs
o 3rd Person tarriff is now $800 (was $600)
o 2-way Limo Airport transfer now included Deluxe J/S upwards (was Deluxe Suite upwards before)
o Lounge Upsell for 3person rate added
Old Nov 26, 2015, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by scubaccr
I knew which room I wanted to end up in for Chinese New Year, but due to the conflicting "ordinary" staff views, it was impossible to know which was correct pre-upgrade room I needed for February.
I'll be there on Chinese New Year season. Hehehe.

FYR:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...DGQqcKq0rCC35G

Last edited by Raynyan; Nov 26, 2015 at 2:20 pm
Old Jun 20, 2016, 1:59 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
How are people finding the difference between the two hotels lately?

I am looking at spending a long weekend there with the in-laws in the first part of 2017.

Thinking of booking the one with points and the other with BOGOF certificate and some £££'s.

I am leaning towards the Intercontinental Hong Kong and not the Grand Stanford from what I've read.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.