HIX Lisbon Airport Master Thread

Old Sep 2, 2015, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

HIX Lisbon Airport Master Thread

I was planning a visit to Lisbon and saw that the HIX at Lisbon airport charges for its airport shuttle; so I wrote them asking for the shuttle schedule. This is the response I received

Good evening Mr. XXX,

We would like to thank you for choosing our hotel.

The shuttle service works from 05h00am until 13pm from the hotel to the airport. It leaves every 20 minutes, it has an extra charge for that, for 2 people will be 8€. Even IHG Spire Elite member pays for it because it is an outsourcing company that provides the service.

From the airport to our hotel, it will be necessary to call us to check if there is a driver available to pick you up and it will be necessary to call between 05h00am until 17h00 because this is the time of the company that works doing the transfer.

Kind regards,

Mariana Assis
Receo/ Front Desk

UNQUOTE

Is there something wrong with me for thinking this is an absoluitely ridiculous response from an airport hotel?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Given how central LIS is to the City and the cheap taxis and hotel rooms are etc. why would you stay anywhere else but the IC? I am confused.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Given how central LIS is to the City and the cheap taxis and hotel rooms are etc. why would you stay anywhere else but the IC? I am confused.
  1. Because the IC is more than twice the cost of the Airport HIX
  2. Because the HIX includes breakfast and IC does not
  3. Because the idea of crashing into an airport hotel rather than worrying about a taxi ripoff after a long flight, is infinitely more appealing
Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
The HIX on Ave Liberdade is more centrally located, offers free breakfast, and you can get to it by metro or bus or taxi.

PS: Not sure why you thought the response from the property was ridiculous: because they charge for the shuttle or because you have to call or because it is too expensive or because you feel slighted as an elite? The hotels at OSL do the same thing - outsourced shuttle that you have to pay for.

Last edited by PilgrimsProgress; Sep 2, 2015 at 6:25 pm
Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carpediem22
  1. Because the IC is more than twice the cost of the Airport HIX
  2. Because the HIX includes breakfast and IC does not
  3. Because the idea of crashing into an airport hotel rather than worrying about a taxi ripoff after a long flight, is infinitely more appealing
You are looking at no more than 15 euros to the IC from LIS. The metro is also a viable option with hand luggage.

My view is coloured but the minibar contents alone are worth more than the room rate I pay and I have the choice between a good lounge or restaurant breakfast. I feel 60 euros is a small price to pay for that (and the inevitable 1200 sq foot suite they give me). But I understand 60 euros is a lot to some.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress
...PS: Not sure why you thought the response from the property was ridiculous: because they charge for the shuttle or because you have to call or because it is too expensive or because you feel slighted as an elite? The hotels at OSL do the same thing - outsourced shuttle that you have to pay for.
None of those reasons at all. Absurd because the shuttle FROM the airport operates only until 5pm and then only if there is a driver available! Flights arrive much later than that and I would expect an airport hotel, especially one that charges for a transfer, to run its shuttle until much later. Obviously, YMMV.

...My view is coloured but the minibar contents alone are worth more than the room rate I pay and I have the choice between a good lounge or restaurant breakfast. I feel 60 euros is a small price to pay for that (and the inevitable 1200 sq foot suite they give me). But I understand 60 euros is a lot to some.
Indeed you are quite right, 60€ is not an insignificant sum to me. Besides much of the contents of a typical minibar (sugar water and spirits) hold little attraction for me. But I take it that you are a RA to enjoy free minibars and suite upgrades etc; not everybody is so privileged, you know.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carpediem22
None of those reasons at all. Absurd because the shuttle FROM the airport operates only until 5pm and then only if there is a driver available! Flights arrive much later than that and I would expect an airport hotel, especially one that charges for a transfer, to run its shuttle until much later. Obviously, YMMV.

Indeed you are quite right, 60 is not an insignificant sum to me. Besides much of the contents of a typical minibar (sugar water and spirits) hold little attraction for me. But I take it that you are a RA to enjoy free minibars and suite upgrades etc; not everybody is so privileged, you know.
The IC LIS minibar has 3 full bottles of wine and a full bottle of port along with a plethora of spirits etc. It is about the best of any minibar I have ever seen at IC properties.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
+1

Or the 2 Holiday Inn in Lisbon (10 minutes ride from airport, very cheap, a bit dated but perfectly ok).
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
You can also have breakfast for nothing in Lisbon.
Try for example Versailles:
http://www.thelisbonconnection.com/t...rvice-quality/
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by nicolas75
+1

Or the 2 Holiday Inn in Lisbon (10 minutes ride from airport, very cheap, a bit dated but perfectly ok).
Sadly, the HIs are making a bid to increase revenue from IHG reservations. Rates have doubled this year, making the IC a value option

Not sure if the new strategy works: the hotels discount heavily through online agencies, and tour groups seem more in evidence - presumably making up for a fall in direct bookings.

The well located HIX continues do very well. (thats the avenida HIX, not the strange airport one).
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Thank you very much - I did not know of the Versailles (cafe / restaurant) and it seems to be exactly the kind of place I would love to visit!
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:16 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Considering how cheap taxis are in Lisbon, in lieu of paying the 8 Euros for the shuttle I would just get a taxi (or even better, Uber) to/from the property. (I recently took an Uber from the IC to the airport and it was only 8 Euros.) It will certainly save the hassle of having to call and wait for the shuttle.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
(Bolding mine).
What exactly do you mean by "breakfast for nothing"?
Old Sep 18, 2015, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Paulchili
(Bolding mine).
What exactly do you mean by "breakfast for nothing"?
I assumed he meant it's cheap. But it's not - well, in Lisbon terms it's not
Old Sep 18, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I assumed he meant it's cheap.
In that case I think saying something like "you can have a breakfast for NEXT to nothing" would be more appropriate and less misleading

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.