Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking for other people using IHG number

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Booking for other people using IHG number

Apologies - I was looking for a general FAQ section to ask what it is a fairly innocuous question

Are there any dramas booking a room for friends under my IHG rewards code?

Is it required that I actually be there?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 1:24 am

Programs: QR Gold/CX Silver/EK Silver/EY Gold/Spire Royal Ambassador/Hilton Diamond
No you dont. Just put your friends name as an additional guest and you will be fine.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:14 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I have booked 35 nights so far for a friend who travels a lot at last minute

I book the room for TWO people and add his name under the Additional Guests.

He gets all of my aspire benefits, upgrades, and always tells them to put the Welcome Bonus Points into my account.

I also use my IHG CC so this year I'm going to have almost 160 nights and an insane amount of IHG points!!!! WooooHooo! ^^

This has worked at every single brand within the IHG U.S. portfolio.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:22 am

Programs: BW Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, M&C Gold
You can book for other people using your IHG account number for any paid stay, but under the rules, you will not get stay credit or points.

For reward stays booked under your account, you can just put your friend's name in additional guests.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by baggyred

Dramas? Well, you would be breaking the rules of IHG Rewards Club. So your friends need to behave as if you are physically there or arriving later. It does start looking suspicious if a room is booked in your name, but somebody else checks in (as second guest), spends the night with a third person who isn't you, pays with their own credit card, etc. You might easily find yourself with zero points or night credit, or even an account closure if you've ever done anything like abuse promo codes.

Given IHG don't really have in-hotel benefits worth noting, you might be a better friend by suggesting your friends sign up for the Accelerate promo in their own name(s) - 2 stays = 1 free night anywhere, 2 more stays = another free night... If it's a couple they could alternate one night in person A's name, second night in person B's name. Much more legit and much more lucrative...
Old Aug 31, 2015, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Dramas? Well, you would be breaking the rules of IHG Rewards Club. So your friends need to behave as if you are physically there or arriving later. It does start looking suspicious if a room is booked in your name, but somebody else checks in (as second guest), spends the night with a third person who isn't you, pays with their own credit card, etc. You might easily find yourself with zero points or night credit, or even an account closure if you've ever done anything like abuse promo codes.

Given IHG don't really have in-hotel benefits worth noting, you might be a better friend by suggesting your friends sign up for the Accelerate promo in their own name(s) - 2 stays = 1 free night anywhere, 2 more stays = another free night... If it's a couple they could alternate one night in person A's name, second night in person B's name. Much more legit and much more lucrative...
Thanks - this was my concern

I'm actually not worried about points/status

Just with my rewards code I can get a better rate at a hotel than my friend can - even after joining

So trying to pass on that benefit
Old Aug 31, 2015, 5:51 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Just with my rewards code I can get a better rate at a hotel than my friend can - even after joining
Eh? What's a rewards code? Are you talking about points stays or paid stays?

Last edited by Keefy-boy; Aug 31, 2015 at 6:01 am
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keefy-boy
Eh? What's a rewards code? Are you talking about points stays or paid stays?
Sorry, I meant ihg number

It will be a paid stay

Edit: had a quick skim of the ts and cs and can't see where it is prohibited

Last edited by baggyred; Aug 31, 2015 at 7:17 am
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Sorry, I meant ihg number

It will be a paid stay.
Do you have a special rate preference code? That's the only thing that will affect the rates quoted.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:10 am

I have booked several times for my friends or family members with my account and got always Points and Stay credit.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:33 am

I want to book a room for my mother and my sister under my account, but the room stated only capable for 2 people. If i put my mother and my sister when i make my reservation, which i don't stay only my mother and my sister. Do they allow this when my mother and my sister check in? i just want to make sure they able to get in w/o any issues, can anyone tell me if they ever do this to their family member? thanks in advance
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This thread covers two separate questions: 1) Will I get caught if I scam the program; 2) How do I do it?

If #1 doesn't bother you, #2 is answered above.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...eone-else.html
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Keefy-boy
Do you have a special rate preference code? That's the only thing that will affect the rates quoted.
It is a returning guest policy.

I get a preferential rate at a hotel I've stayed at before (and have a current booking for)

The prevailing best advanced purchase rate is about $40USD more per night

Given this room will be for 5 guests - I think I might need to sweettalk the hotel direct! Not sure it is going to work putting someone else as a guest given that is the strategy

As mentioned - I am not interested in the points, and if the rules simply meant that I didn't get points/status - but they got the rate I'd be happy!
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Apologies - I was looking for a general FAQ section to ask what it is a fairly innocuous question

1. You don't have to be there before or after your friend checks in if friend is named as additional guest. It is more problematic if booking on your account for a friend and friends other half

2. If you do not attend then you should get neither points or qual night

3. Under IHG corporate and hotel rules if you do not attend the room name needs to be updated to friends name and your IHG member number removed from the reservation.
Friend is obviously welcome to provide their IHG member number if they have one

NB
The post above with one member booking many many times for a friend , trading his Spire bennies for receiving points for friends stay is definitely not allowed. In effect this is running a shared account.
Once IHG notices this , account will be closed and points balance forfeited

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.