London & Paris Best Locations?

Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

London & Paris Best Locations?

Amongst other travel we will do just a few days in both for pure sightseeing the usual (going with first time visitors) so which would be the best locations in each city? Thinking close to a metro line and also within walking distances to the major sights.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IHG Spire
I just went to both...stayed at Crowne Plaza London The City and recommend it - near St Paul's Cathedral, across from Blackfriar's tube stop, right by the Thames. I stayed at the Holiday Inn Notre Dame, right by Notre Dame and everything else on Ile de la Cite, near Notre Dame Metro stop, rooftop bar. Both come highly recommended around here...
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dk240t
I just went to both...stayed at Crowne Plaza London The City and recommend it - near St Paul's Cathedral, across from Blackfriar's tube stop, right by the Thames. I stayed at the Holiday Inn Notre Dame, right by Notre Dame and everything else on Ile de la Cite, near Notre Dame Metro stop, rooftop bar. Both come highly recommended around here...
The Holiday Inn Notre Dame has really small rooms and microscopic bathrooms. Although I did like the roof-top bar and the location, I would not stay at this hotel again unless I was alone.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: Oneworld, Avios and IHG Spire Ambassador
Spent 3 nights in the Crowne Plaza London The City at the weekend.

Great location, great Hotel and upgraded room plus Club Lounge access throughout
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:01 pm

I stayed at the IC Paris Avenue Marcue ( cannot spell it) I got a fantastic upgrade to the best suite overlooking the tower and free champaign so I would stay there
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Another huge thumbs up to the Notre Dame for its location. Room was small but we fit four of us in there. Its like a cruise cabin. But the location is phenomenal. I particularly like the lil street of creperies about 50 feet away.

Im doing 2 nights with family at the CP London the City based on reviews. A lil perturbed that they wont guarantee club access as a Spire.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
The Holiday Inn Notre Dame has really small rooms and microscopic bathrooms. Although I did like the roof-top bar and the location, I would not stay at this hotel again unless I was alone.
The entry level rooms are indeed small, but if you book an executive room or suite, or get an upgrade to one of those, then it's fine for two or three in the room.

But to the OP, as long as you are close to any metro station in Paris, you are well located. Sort of the same in London. The best choices in both cities would be the IC's.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:00 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I second HI Notre Dame in Paris. Couldn't ask for a better location due to very close access to subways. ^^

It's actually nicer inside than any Holiday Inn I have ever stayed in.

Smaller rooms (welcome to Europe)....but you can get a BEAUTIFUL view of the Eiffel Tower outside on your balcony if you stay on the back side of the hotel!
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:02 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K; VS Gold; IHG Spire Royal Ambassador; Hyatt Diamond; HHonors Diamond; M Life Plat
As others have stated, the Crowne Plaza is fantastic with its location. I'm a big fan of the InterContinental at Park Lane, great hotel in London, very comparable in atmosphere to The Royal Horse Guards.

If I'm on a budget and need an easy room near an Underground Station, I tend to stay at the Holiday Inn at Mayfair that's a block from Green Park station. Near the Winter months, I tend to stay at the Holiday Inn Bloomsbury just a block from Russel Square station.

Do understand that the Holiday Inns in the UK are a bit rough in terms of bed comfort and room size.

Now depending on when you're heading to London, the new InterContinental at the O2 in North Greenwich will be opening at some point. It will be right at the O2 Underground station as well. But think it's not due open until February 2016.

In Paris, I tend to stay more at Hyatt properties, most of the times I've been at IHG properties is at the rail stations in Paris. Gare De L'est, Gare De Lyon and Gare Montparnasse. All what you'd expect for Holiday Inns at rail stations, good cheap rooms.

I have enjoyed staying at the Holiday Inn Opera at Grand Boulevards. Great Paris hotel for the price, decent rooms and beds, and just a walk across the street to the Metro. One stop on the Metro to Opera to change to just about anywhere you need to go.

And if you've not already setup your transfer between London and Paris, I'd highly suggest the EuroStar. It's like 2 hours and 13 minutes from Paris to London and a great experience.

Best of luck on the travels and hotel bookings.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:25 am

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Silver, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Silver, RapidRewards
Gare du L'est just got remodeled, for whatever that's worth - the new bar is nice and rooms are decently sized.

Montmartre is my usual when I'm there, but it's not the best for sightseeing. Good metro links though.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:34 am

In Paris, the IC Le Grand has one of the best locations for me. It is within walking distance to a number of attractions and has immediate access to the RER and several metro lines, which also means direct link to most train stations.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FonzieBone
Gare du L'est just got remodeled, for whatever that's worth - the new bar is nice and rooms are decently sized.

Montmartre is my usual when I'm there, but it's not the best for sightseeing. Good metro links though.
? All the HI's in Paris were recently remodeled with the overall HI makeover world-wide. But there are still some very small entry level rooms at that property. And Montmartre is quite a long walk to the metros. Uphill depending on the direction and metro. And it has even smaller rooms. It's often the cheapest HI in Paris, mainly because it's so far from public transport. I like the neighborhood though.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:05 pm

HI Notre Dame

Has the HI Notre Dame, been remodeled also? We stayed there 5 years ago.
Rooms were VERY small, but had a nice little balcony that you could see the Tower from. Plan on staying there again next April.

Got any better suggestions? I am Spire with 500,000 points, so points are not an issue.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:46 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by stimpy
And Montmartre is quite a long walk to the metros. Uphill depending on the direction and metro. And it has even smaller rooms. It's often the cheapest HI in Paris, mainly because it's so far from public transport. I like the neighborhood though.
Agree with you for the most part, though I think we lucked into a room on the back side that had beaucoup windows and made the room feel significantly larger than it really was. The walk from the Metro can be rough, especially with suitcases, but we prefer more residential than smack in the middle of tourist throngs, and I like being able to walk to the corner bakery, greengrocer and Carrefour Express for light breakfast and snack supplies and dozing off to the sound of kids playing football in the courtyard behind the hotel.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Iam4UK
Has the HI Notre Dame, been remodeled also? We stayed there 5 years ago.
Rooms were VERY small, but had a nice little balcony that you could see the Tower from. Plan on staying there again next April.
It's a rather new hotel so no remodeling anytime soon. If you are Platinum or Spire, you should get at least an executive room or maybe a suite. Those rooms are not small. Or maybe you can use your points to book an Exec room and not worry about the upgrade.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.