Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unbelievable Walk by Candlewood Suites FLL

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2015, 7:39 am

I've had a pre-auth bump before and the hotel contacted me to advise they couldn't do it. I'm glad they did as my card had been cloned. I suppose it depends on the property but you would think out of courtesy they would call perhaps I was just lucky.

There is no excuse for the second booking though.

OP have you heard anything else?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:13 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by chrism20
I've had a pre-auth bump before and the hotel contacted me to advise they couldn't do it. I'm glad they did as my card had been cloned. I suppose it depends on the property but you would think out of courtesy they would call perhaps I was just lucky.
Hotels will usually do this on paid or reward reservations. In this case, however, the hotel saw a way out of their BRG case, as well as a way out of their overbooking situation. They just didn't expect the OP to make a new reservation and NOT play along their came of bait and switch (walk to the sister hotel and have him pay there).

HTB.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by nicolas75
Actually I did not know that hotel had to pay when a cheaper price can be found.

In such perspective, maybe it was not that smart (read risky) to check-in late AND ask for BRG, wasn't it?
AFAIK the hotel has to pay for the free night. We did late check-in on our BRG night and there was not a problem.

Originally Posted by FlyingHigh20
Not at all, that had ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with it.

In retrospect, the hotel did NOTHING wrong to cancel his original reservation, as his credit card could not be authorized....even it as for $0. IHG is very clear in saying that your card must still be able to accept preauthorizations.

It was his second reservation where the hotel blatantly screwed up.
OP said the hotel can't authorize his card because they can't authorise "$0". I think this is BS since they can just do a deposit of $100. It seems to me that the hotel wants to get out of the BRG.

I guess the hotel is not that overbooked as OP can make another reservation there.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by nacho

OP said the hotel can't authorize his card because they can't authorise "$0". I think this is BS since they can just do a deposit of $100. It seems to me that the hotel wants to get out of the BRG.
It's not BS. All hotels around the world require credit cards for GUARANTEED reservations. Without a credit card that works, your reservation is not guaranteed.

The hotel my have been using that loophole to get out of the BRG, but it's within their right to do so since the terms of having a working credit card are clearly communicated in the BRG e-mail.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If OP has a CC that works (I think that's what OP meant), and the hotel couldn't authorize it because it's $0, then it's the hotel's problem.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
never mind.

Last edited by mikeef; Aug 5, 2015 at 6:31 am
Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Yes the original CC used was declined as a fraud detection from my bank.. I'm sure we all have been there... The hotel then canceled the entire booking without contacting me.. Since I was arriving late, I gave the hotel to let them know, and that's when I learned of the cancelation.. (I'm glad I called them) Mark told me that I was no longer staying there, and he would book me at the HIX. I assumed he was walking me, but he told me that I would have to pay there..
When I got off the phone with him, I promptly checked rates in the area, and low and behold the CW was available! So I booked it, even changed my Visa card (To one that has little security lol)

Results so far.... IHG is sending me a check for what I paid at the HIX.. Which sucks for me as I am never home (Last time was Christmas) Also I'm getting 30,000 points (Which is the cost of this CW) All this was done by IHG customer service. I'm appalled that they had to intervene, also the hotel didn't want to play ball with IHG it seems either..

At the end of the day Oversells happen, I don't think I'm above an oversell as a plat.. In fact I would rather a hotel walk me than a kettle just because I understand the business, and wouldn't give the FD a hard time.. This property handled this in every possible wrong way.. I have spent literally hours of my time to get a resolution which the hotel should have offered in the first place..
I am now in touch with Alex Mendoza who is forwarding my concerns to upper management.. I am following through with this, and I have high hopes that someone has half a brain, and knows how to run a hotel.. Juan, and Mark should not be employed by an IHG property at all. I will report back if anything comes up.. My expectations at the moment are 30,000 points for not following the Best Rate, and at the least another 30-60K for all the inconvenience, and bad service provided.. I doubt it, but lets see..
Old Jul 22, 2015, 1:07 pm

It does not seem it was a oversell if you was able to book the hotel again and then they cancelled it. That bit I just cannot get my head around why they would cancel it!
Old Jul 22, 2015, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by Oliveredmunds
It does not seem it was a oversell if you was able to book the hotel again and then they cancelled it. That bit I just cannot get my head around why they would cancel it!
They are saying that it is a mistake and not their fault.. Lol.. So I guess when some Kettles or other frequent guests book their oversold hotel online they will tell them the same, and send them away paying elsewhere.. Amazing!
Old Jul 22, 2015, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by ryan754
They are saying that it is a mistake and not their fault.. Lol.. So I guess when some Kettles or other frequent guests book their oversold hotel online they will tell them the same, and send them away paying elsewhere.. Amazing!
Well whose fault is it if it's not the hotel who manages there own inventory? If the hotel is not accepting blame then that would annoy me so much! I really hope you are successful with getting the hotel to confess!
Old Jul 22, 2015, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think OP got a fair compensation - he got his free night and a bunch of points. I think IHG handled this well.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nacho
I think OP got a fair compensation - he got his free night and a bunch of points. I think IHG handled this well.
Nacho, I would totally agree if the situation was a simple walk.. I have to wait a month or so for my refund, and well countless phone calls emails etc.. Finally the hotel not honoring a BRG claim.. The bad treatment etc.. I hope to stick it to them for a lot more points.. Hotels/employees need to learn from their mistakes..
Old Jul 24, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ryan754
Nacho, I would totally agree if the situation was a simple walk.. I have to wait a month or so for my refund, and well countless phone calls emails etc.. Finally the hotel not honoring a BRG claim.. The bad treatment etc.. I hope to stick it to them for a lot more points.. Hotels/employees need to learn from their mistakes..
On any advance rate (brg or not) the hotel us entitled to charge CC almost immediately , but typically during the current/next 9-5 working day

As such any BAR brg's are usually precharged - and if CC is rejected for any reason the bog is invalidated

For flex rate brg's there should be no need to charge provided CC , but under t&c's I guess they are entitled to try and if CC gets bounced even on checkin day the hotel is I titled to reject ones bpg claim

The reason for CC rejection is irrelevant unless the hotel put through a higher amount
Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by scubaccr
On any advance rate (brg or not) the hotel us entitled to charge CC almost immediately , but typically during the current/next 9-5 working day

As such any BAR brg's are usually precharged - and if CC is rejected for any reason the bog is invalidated

For flex rate brg's there should be no need to charge provided CC , but under t&c's I guess they are entitled to try and if CC gets bounced even on checkin day the hotel is I titled to reject ones bpg claim

The reason for CC rejection is irrelevant unless the hotel put through a higher amount
If there are issues with a CC on an advance pay booking, I typically find that the property calls me to get a replacement card. This has usually happened to me when I have had a card on my profile replaced.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Flex Rate day of arrival cancelation policy.. BRG went through days before.. They tried to charge the card before the cancelation..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.