Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: scubaccr
List of properties that have (or have not) recognised Spire. AND Provided Spire 'Specific' Benefit.

I suggest listing country, brand, property, how you were recognised (Club/not at all etc) and the month you stayed that way if anyone stays after that date we can have an update on whether things have changed.

Or if anyone can think of a better solution feel free to change it.

INDIA
CP JAIPUR - Suite upgrade, club access, happy hour with free snacks, Spire Elite label placed on your table for better treatment - Sep 2016

INDONESIA
IC Bali - local gift at check-in, room upgrade, free breakfast - Jan 2016

JAPAN

IC Tokyo Bay, not recognised at all, August 2015

NETHERLANDS
CP Amsterdam South - Spires Amenity choice now 'Lounge/Drink/600pts' on both paid+Award nights.
(On paid nights at checkin likely to be offered Junior Suite upgrade too if room is free, but not offered on awards.)

UNITED KINGDOM

CP London Heathrow. Free breakfast only. Offered discounted cash payment of 24 GBP pp for lounge access June 2016
Indigo Paddington, no recognisition. September 2015 (this hotel now gives good upgrades to Spire even when checking in late)
Indigo Kensington/Earls Court - apparently recognised. Got nothing not even Welcome Amenity, October 2015
HI Haydock M6 - J23, recognised as club. September 2015
HI London Gatwick Worth, Recognised as Club, September 2015
HI Express Birmingham NEC recognised as "basic member" August 2015
HIX Birmingham Star City, no recognition or amenity - January 2016
HIX Hamilton, recognised as club Aug 2015, recog. Spire Aug 2016
HI Birmingham M6, recognised as club Sept 2015 & Oct 2015, recognised as Spire January 2016
HIX Leigh Sports Village, recognised as club Sept 2015
HI Portsmouth, recognised as Club 22/October/2015
HI Leeds - Wakefield, recognised as club 19th December 2015
HI Luton Airport Recognised as Club 18th March 2016
HI Norwich Airport Me Recognised as Platinum June 3rd 2016
HI Norwich Airport MrsB Recognisd as Club June 3rd 2016.

USA

HI Express, Chicago, IL, recognized at Platinum (not Spire), October/2015. No benefits

THAILAND

HI Pattaya, Thailand, recognized at Platinum (not Spire), November/2105. August 2016, recognized as Spire, upgrade to Ocean View Suite but no benefits

CHINA

CP Guangzhou Haidu letter recognising as a Spire but no benefits additional to Golds. No room upgrade
CP Qingdao No letter, no recognition nothing
Print Wikipost

Discussion about new top tier: Spire

Old Oct 16, 2016, 7:58 pm

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP
I'm definitely on the most-useful-thing-about-Spire-is-the-HHonors-Diamond-status-match bandwagon.

My experience with Spire has been lackluster; there have been a few properties where I've been treated pretty well and received free lounge access, but it's not the majority. Usually it's an "upgrade" to a room with a better view and, at hotels with lounges, a discount on buying that. I do receive breakfast vouchers a majority of the time.

Contrast that with Hilton where I'm guaranteed lounge access on every stay at every property in the portfolio. Even if I'm not upgraded to an executive-level room I still get the lounge access.

I have moved all my stays to Hilton except those where I absolutely need to be in an IHG property for one reason or another.

Also, the Hertz 5-Star seems like a joke. Usually the car they offer isn't that interesting, and the Yelp reviews on many Hertz locations are abysmal. Last time I booked at a Hertz location, I got there to find the location that was on my reservation CLOSED with a paper sign on the door directing me to another Hertz location on the other side of town. Hertz Corporate did reimburse the $15 Uber ride I had to take to do that, but it was a colossal waste of time. And that next location was backed up with a huge line, not enough people working, and not enough cars for the people in the line. Total mess. You could put me at the top of their elite program and I still wouldn't rent from Hertz unless it was a location with 4-5 stars.

Contrast that with Starwood/Marriott where top-tier elites are getting airline status. My dad's Platinum status with Marriott now gets him upgrades/lounges at most Marriott properties, the same at Starwood properties, Silver status on Untied, and free upgrades on Delta.

Tell me again why anyone would give an ounce of loyalty to IHG when the best they can do is offer me VIP benefits at some of their hotels some of the time, and get me from a Kia into an Impala?
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
As of late I started getting blank emails from IHG Rewards. Turns out it is the "you have been upgraded" type emails they are sending to Spire's these days.

Only issue I have is that my stays are at ICs and I'm getting the obligatory 1-category upgrade based on my Ambassador status. So what's the message here? I don't need Ambassador and would still get upgrades based on Spire or they are trying to make Spire look better than it is?
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Wow.

What a new Spire benefit I just got my first-ever best upgrade to a Presidential Suite and I was amazed to hear that "you got our best room in the hotel since we are fully booked". Until I entered the suite and found out that the 150m2 living room area was locked out and I only received the 30m2 "secretary" part of the bedroom and bath.
Well, that was perhaps better than a standard room than I had booked, but what a way to exceed expectations and then smash down them
Life goes on.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FFlash
Wow.

What a new Spire benefit I just got my first-ever best upgrade to a Presidential Suite and I was amazed to hear that "you got our best room in the hotel since we are fully booked". Until I entered the suite and found out that the 150m2 living room area was locked out and I only received the 30m2 "secretary" part of the bedroom and bath.
Well, that was perhaps better than a standard room than I had booked, but what a way to exceed expectations and then smash down them
Life goes on.
Which hotel is it?

We got an Executive Pool View room at IC HKG on a free night stay last month, and got to keep the room for the 2nd night booked from a Plat account. The room is at the "turn" part of the building which is like an S shape, and is pretty large. From the floor plan on this floor, it is the 2nd largest room on the floor.
Last year we got Deluxe partial sea view room on same type of stay. That room was smaller but had a bit of sea view towards the east side of HKG Island. (Wanchai / Causeway bay direction)
Old Oct 17, 2016, 4:37 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
While I wish IHG would add a breakfast benefit to Spire, I've been rather pleased with the UPG experience and will hit the 75 nights (12 award nights) to requalify this year. Also have RA but not requalifying. I supposed that if I was bouncing around the US staying at HI's my experience would be difference (and it is for the US stays.)

Some of the great UPG's have been resort settings, so makes it all the more useful: i.e. HI Resort Ao Nang in Krabi went from King Premier to the Penthouse (top room HI Resort Mai Khao went from lowest category to the Mai Khao Pool Access Suite; HI Chiang Mai King River view to King Suite; and HIX Zhabei always gives me a two room suite.

I'm also HH DIA but not a big fan of Hilton.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 5:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
It is just so sad and disappointing that the best part of Spire is our Hilton Honors Diamond status match. With RA requal being even more unpredictable, I really wish I took advantage of HH Diamond. I just kept "hoping" Spire would get better. CPs and HIs I stayed at years ago as Plat and always gave free breakfast, don't even offer that as Spire
Old Oct 17, 2016, 5:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
Originally Posted by VaBeachGirl
It is just so sad and disappointing that the best part of Spire is our Hilton Honors Diamond status match. With RA requal being even more unpredictable, I really wish I took advantage of HH Diamond. I just kept "hoping" Spire would get better. CPs and HIs I stayed at years ago as Plat and always gave free breakfast, don't even offer that as Spire
Note: I did just stay at CP Amsterdam City Centre - as a Spire benefit they offered me the choice of 600 points, free drink and snack, or exec lounge access. I obviously took the lounge access but they are closing at the end of October for the Kimpton renovation
Old Oct 17, 2016, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Waiting and waiting for concrete Spire benefits has taken on the feeling of Lucy van Pelt and her football.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Anyone doing the Nordic Choice status match?

http://loyaltylobby.com/2016/10/20/n...cember-5-2016/

I'm curious to see if/how they match there, not so much because of upcoming plans to go to that part of the world, but Hertz President Circle is listed as a benefit for Gold & Platinum there, instead of just Five Star for Spire.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 12:30 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Anyone doing the Nordic Choice status match?

http://loyaltylobby.com/2016/10/20/n...cember-5-2016/

I'm curious to see if/how they match there, not so much because of upcoming plans to go to that part of the world, but Hertz President Circle is listed as a benefit for Gold & Platinum there, instead of just Five Star for Spire.
They match Spire to Platinum and platinum to gold
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:33 am

How did you get the Presidents circle from Nordic if you are already a Hertz member?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by steve1975l
How did you get the Presidents circle from Nordic if you are already a Hertz member?
Not sure it is really worth the effort. I only ever had one upgrade that was noteworthy and the only real tangible benefit in Europe was free second driver fee for spouse.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by steve1975l
Use the form. http://nordicchoicecampaigns.com/con...-car-rental-4/
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:06 am
Suspended

Still no words from IHG about Spire benefits. But my recent stay in many Crowne Plazas all end up with either free breakfast or Club upgrades. I guess there is definitely some recognition in CPs. In HI I was upgraded to Executive room but no tangible benefits.

I guess we will have continue waiting for the official words from IHG later.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: Gold Star Alliance,IHG Spire Ambassador, Starwood, Hilton Honor Diamond, Silver Accor, Diamond Hyatt
Originally Posted by chongcao
Still no words from IHG about Spire benefits. But my recent stay in many Crowne Plazas all end up with either free breakfast or Club upgrades. I guess there is definitely some recognition in CPs. In HI I was upgraded to Executive room but no tangible benefits.

I guess we will have continue waiting for the official words from IHG later.
Later but when ? Was supposed to be said in 2016
New benefits still waiting

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.