Community
Wiki Posts
Search

10% Rebate After Closing Chase Account?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2015, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

10% Rebate After Closing Chase Account?

I don't see this addressed in the 10% rebate threads. I have booked several reward nights at a couple of HI Xps hotels, using my Chase card as the payment method on file, for stays in September. I plan to closed the Chase account this month, as I don't want to pay the $85 annual fee. One poster said it was IHG who gives the rebate, and not Chase. Is this correct? And if so, has anyone gotten the rebate after booking with the card and then closing their account before their stay?
Old Jul 5, 2015, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by bmholmes
And if so, has anyone gotten the rebate after booking with the card and then closing their account before their stay?
You're going to cancel BEFORE the stay? Wow, good luck. Odds have got to be 10-1 against. I always thought you had to (a) book the stay using the card and then (b) check in and out using it on that stay. But I've been wrong before so...
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:24 pm

Programs: IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
You're going to cancel BEFORE the stay? Wow, good luck. Odds have got to be 10-1 against. I always thought you had to (a) book the stay using the card and then (b) check in and out using it on that stay. But I've been wrong before so...

On reward stays, they usually never even ask me for a card, and if that's the card on file...

MAYBE you can get away with it. If nothing else, you can at least try it and see what happens. I used to work for DisneyStore.com, and we couldn't see anything about the Chase Disney Rewards Visa. Had no way of nothing if it was active or not. So long as they don't ask for a card and the rebate is actually posted by IHG and not Chase, I'd say it's probably closer to a 50/50 shot.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It doesn't matter what card you use to guarantee the reservation or what card you use to pay for incidentals. However, the chance of getting the rebate is going to depend on how your status is showing (eligible for rebate or not) when IHG runs periodic batch sweeps for the rebate.

So...maybe, maybe not.

BTW, why is you annual fee $85? You should call Chase about that..I think the fee is $49. (They experimented with some higher fees, but the $49 is what stuck.)
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Ah, yes, my Chase IHG annual fee is $49. I was also cancelling a Marriott Chase card yesterday, where the fee was $85 and that was in my brain.

Thanks for your replies. I'm hoping that someone out there has actually gotten the points rebate after cancelling the card account and will see and respond to my post.

Here is an excerpt from the Chase card offer details: "In order to receive points for redemption rebates, you must be a U.S. IHG® Rewards Club Select Card holder and your IHG® Rewards Club account must be in good standing. Chase is not responsible for offer fulfillment."

So, if IHG is simply rebating points based on the card that was on file, seems like I'd get the rebate.

It's interesting that the AA Citicard gives you the 10% rebate on airline mileage award travel immediately upon booking, rather than after the flight (as well as the free baggage allowance). In that case, I've flown after having cancelled the Citicard account with no effect on the mileage credit. Of course, there would be a charge to the Citicard at the time of reservation, whereas there isn't when booking an IHG reward night.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmholmes
So, if IHG is simply rebating points based on the card that was on file, seems like I'd get the rebate.
IHG is rebating points for redemptions (of all types) based on you being a holder of the IHG credit card. It has nothing to do with the credit card used to guarantee the reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.