Wiki Posts
Search

Best use of points in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Best use of points in Hong Kong

Planning a visit to Hong Kong at the end of September but want to book now before the rates go up. Which hotel is the best value for using points?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
What IHG status do you have?
Have you been to HK?
How comfortable are you at getting around HK?
What is on your agenda as to things to see or do or eat?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
What IHG status do you have? Platnium
Have you been to HK? No
How comfortable are you at getting around HK? Happy to use public transport as have travelled extensively
What is on your agenda as to things to see or do or eat? Not sure - planning to visit for 4/5 days
Thank you
Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Originally Posted by MsCapricorn
Thank you
Best use of points? In Hong Kong? It's much different now than in the past. Holiday Inn Golden Mile (TST) once was 15K, now it's 35K. IC Grand Stanford once was 30K, now it's 45K - 50K. Crown Plazas once were 20K, now they're like 40K - 45K. HI Express once were 15K, now they want 30K (you don't want to stay at the HI Expresses). Absolute ridiculous.

I say, buy Ambassador status and stay at the ICs, there are two of them there. Buy one night, use the B1-G1 free cert that comes with it, 45K - 50K for night three, and then maybe swing night 4 on more points (the status gives you 5K points for free + a 10% refund later on).

Good Luck!
Old Apr 26, 2015, 4:20 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
I stayed at the HIX Soho last summer and really enjoyed it. Close to the MTR and very modern.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The IC that is worth paying a premium and staying is the IC on Salsbury Rd, iff you get a harbourview room.

CP Kowloon East is far from centre of town but great value. IHG Platinum has been known to get upgrade there as well as club privilege on paid stays and sometimes on points stays as well. It is indoor walk to the MTR station where with one transfer you are in the middle of Kowloon or HK Island.

CP Causeway Bay is in the middle of the tourist high rent shopping district. So is HI Golden Miles which is much older.

If you are willing to swap premises I would get one night at IC and pay to upgrade the room to harbourview and spend the other nights at HI Golden Mile up the street on Nathan Rd.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
CP Kowloon East and HIX Soho are the pick of the 20K per night hotels. As mentioned previously, the CP is great at Platinum recognition. Free breakfast for one and possibly Club access.

If you want to spend more points, you're probably best advised to jump all the way to the 45K per night Intercon.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:56 pm
alc

I would go with CP Kowloon East. I stayed at HIX soho and CP CWB before and now been staying here for last couple years. I find myself actually very enjoy the indoor access to MTR and the malls near by. I will be there in Summer again. Will go check out the new HIX MK as it seems it will be the only 20K properties in HK after May 1.

Last edited by alc; Apr 26, 2015 at 9:11 pm
Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:51 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Whatever you do: if you want to stay on points, book soon. The redemption value on most properties will go up soon: http://3rjfy21znlo631twxe405qqvzc4.w...1-15-final.pdf

HTB.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:07 am

CP Kowloon East

If you don't mind being away from the center of town (I preferred it) I'd also recommend CP Kowloon East. Loved my recent stay there. They typically give one level upgrade for Platinum so book the rate below the room you would optimally wish for. One breakfast per night for the platinum member, but you can combine them on a multiple night stay (ie I stayed two nights and used both comp breakfasts the same day for my wife and I.)
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Absolutely no availability at the CP Kowloon East for the rest of 2015. Interesting to see if availability appears after the 1 May increase !!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Absolutely no availability at the CP Kowloon East for the rest of 2015. Interesting to see if availability appears after the 1 May increase !!
That is because FT is not the only place on the internet for source about CP Kowloon East(TKO) redemption increasing. It is also found at 20+ travel site/blogs based in HK alone.

At 20k it was too cheap to be true even with its outlying location in TKO.

Last edited by tentseller; Apr 28, 2015 at 1:19 pm
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Just did a dummy booking at 20K.

A lot of the time the reward night calendar is broken.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Just did a dummy booking at 20K.

A lot of the time the reward night calendar is broken.
Thank you. Managed to get 3 nights out of the 5 I needed.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:47 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
As much as I like the CP Kowloon East (and I've commented quite a bit before), its location is in my opinion quite an unfavorable base for the first visit to Hong Kong. Access to Kowloon, particularly the promenade, star ferry etc. is tedious and takes a lot of time by public transport; WNT and Lantau take roughly two hours - one way. There is basically no night live in TKO.

Of course, the hotel is superb - if you're willing to accept the location on a first visit of six days (quite a long time). However, if you aren't restricted to using points, there are still good deals in TST and Hong Kong, mostly using consolidators. Or you treat yourself with the IC for the two remaining nights.

Last edited by Chinatrvl; Apr 30, 2015 at 2:56 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.