Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2015, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
What points count towards status?

"Base points earned from Qualifying Rates paid for hotel stays, points collected from partner transactions, IHG® Rewards Club Bonus Points Packages and Meeting Rewards are considered Elite Qualifying Points and counted towards membership elite status."
  • The bonus points received for the credit card sign-up are nonqualifying towards status.
  • Points from credit card spend are qualifying points and will count toward a member's status qualification.
  • Bonus Point Packages are qualifying points and will count toward a member's status qualification.
  • Bonus points received through promos, including credit card offers, are nonqualifying points for status.

What activity resets the one-year point expiration clock (i.e., prevents points from expiring)?
  • Maintaining elite status (including via the credit card, if your card offers that benefit)
  • Any earning activity that increases your balance (including nonqualifying or bonus points), such as transfering points from programmes like e-rewards
  • Any redemption activity that decreases your balance (including an award booking that is subsequently canceled)
  • Being a dining rewards member
Print Wikipost

Change to IHG Rewards Club 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Atacama40
The account summary page and upcoming reservations works but if you click on any other options it comes up with a compass and an error.

The opening page error does say that you can make reservations but not process IHG rewards transactions.
It's all working fine for me. Maybe they are doing some rolling changes? There are millions of accounts after all.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
It's all working fine for me. Maybe they are doing some rolling changes? There are millions of accounts after all.
Yes think you right....is all as normal again. No obvious changes I can see.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Minibar myopia

Originally Posted by turner32
If they drop free mini-bar, RA becomes pretty much the same as any other top-tier hotel programme.
Free mini-bar is their USP. I would ditch IHG if they did away with that.
The minibar benefit gives RAs more "bragging rights" than suite upgrades or free WiFi (now extended to everyone) or early checkin or late checkout or Club benefits when available, etc. Every other program gives those benefits (some give club access or free breakfast at lower levels than RA! Hint! Hint!)
The Minibar benefit makes the program seem exceptional to the mortals out there.
And what's brilliant is that the cost to provide this program is de minimus -- I would guess the average consumption would be one bottled water and one bottle of booze -- cost less than a buck, perceived value $20, and bragging rights priceless.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by vsevolod4
The minibar benefit gives RAs more "bragging rights" than suite upgrades or free WiFi (now extended to everyone) or early checkin or late checkout or Club benefits when available, etc. Every other program gives those benefits (some give club access or free breakfast at lower levels than RA! Hint! Hint!)
The Minibar benefit makes the program seem exceptional to the mortals out there.
And what's brilliant is that the cost to provide this program is de minimus -- I would guess the average consumption would be one bottled water and one bottle of booze -- cost less than a buck, perceived value $20, and bragging rights priceless.
As I posted somewhere here, I was told by someone senior that the mini-bar benefit is a low cost item when it comes to all that goes into RA. So I doubt it will go away.

But if you think about it, the free mini-bar was started when IC was a very small chain where the HQ had a lot of control over the product. I'm sure that the marketing people at Starwood, Hilton, Marriott, etc. would love to add free mini-bar to their offering, but those chains are just too large to effectuate such a change to the program. It is practically impossible for the others to copy IHG here. So IHG should absolutely keep it as their USP and maybe even try to extend it to Kimpton. I'd add Crowne Plaza too, but that's probably a bit too adventurous.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Did they downgrade the "welcome amenity?"

I had a stay in Spain at a HX on 4 July -- they didn't know about the new level; they still had me as Platinum.
But the "welcome amenity" there was only 300 points -- less than the usual 500 at an HX.
Is this a downgrade (aka "enhancement"), and the 500 will now apply to only to the "Diamond/Black" or whatever the new level is going to be?

(I note on 26 June, I got the usual 600 points from a CP in Spain, so did something change on July 1?).
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:25 pm

Holiday Inn Express is 200 for gold and 300 for platinum IIRC
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
In recent months I got 150 welcome points at a Holiday Inn Express, 300 at a Holiday Inn and 600 at an Indigo.

When you say HX, do you mean Holiday Inn Express?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by rumbataz
In recent months I got 150 welcome points at a Holiday Inn Express, 300 at a Holiday Inn and 600 at an Indigo.

When you say HX, do you mean Holiday Inn Express?
I got 300 pts x2 when I booked two rooms at the HIX Fenton near St. Louis, and 150pt at the HIX in Bentonville, AR, as a gold member each time.
I always just assumed it was property-dependent rather than brand-dependent.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
I would tend to agree that it is property dependent.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by chrism20
Holiday Inn Express is 200 for gold and 300 for platinum IIRC
500 Platinum, and I think, 300 Gold.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by rumbataz
I would tend to agree that it is property dependent.
Yes. There appears to be no rhyme or reason behnd the amenity points. Two hotels of the same brand, in the same city, have given me different points. One was 1,000 points, the other 500.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 4:11 pm

In the UK it has been fairly consistent for me.

Platinum

HIX - 300 or drink/snack
HI - 500 or drink/snack
CP/Indigo - 600 or drink/snack

All three of these have been within the last week and have been those amounts for at least a year with me. The after stay questionnaire for my HIX last week also asked specifically if I received the offer of 300 or a drink/snack.

Golds get

HIX - 200 or drink/snack
HI - 300 or drink/snack
CP/Indigo - 400 or drink/snack

It's a while since I've been to an SBS or IC so someone else might be able to confirm if there is anything at either of them.

With all these digital creations that IHG appear to be coming up with I hope they go down the Hilton route and let you pick what option you want and it automatically posts with the stay or if you select the drink/snack the voucher is ready or better still on your phone after you've checked in at the hotel.

There has to be a better way of managing it and keeping it consistent rather than the constant variations in the offer and the subsequent game of will they post them or will they not that follows.

Last edited by chrism20; Jul 6, 2015 at 4:18 pm
Old Jul 6, 2015, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
HIX, Staybridge, Candlewood and HI have always been 500 points for me as Platinum in the States. CP is definitely 600. It's been a while since I've stayed at an Indigo, but I thought they were 500, too. Haven't stayed at an IC itself in years.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by pleitao
I had a really bad experience at Hilton CPH in 2010, arrive at hotel around 3.30am, they had my AMEX on reservation so they charge me with a room as no show and they didn't give me a room because they were sold out and they give my room to someone else.
I end up sleeping at CP CPH.
Made a complain, got a mail that almost call me stupid, apperently I should know if you don't inform in the reservation that you going to arrive after 1am they can charge you with a no show.
I learned that to stay at hilton I need to foreseen the future and realise that my 10 hours flight will get late so I can inform the hotel.
They return me the money with a note that due to my status (was top tier) they will refund...
If that happened to me, I'd be asking for compensation for a walk before I left the hotel I booked at.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
I noticed an interesting change when I called into the Ambassador Service Center today. You no longer have the option to either press 2 for reservations, or 3 for the ambassador service center. It just says "Thank you for calling reservations...".

I also noticed that the lady I spoke with (and the people I overheard) didn't have Southeast Asian accents. It doesn't sound like you are calling the Philippines anymore, but rather somewhere in the US. A welcomed change in my opinion.

I just found it to be interesting...take from it what you will.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.