Old Apr 14, 2015, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
What points count towards status?

"Base points earned from Qualifying Rates paid for hotel stays, points collected from partner transactions, IHG Rewards Club Bonus Points Packages and Meeting Rewards are considered Elite Qualifying Points and counted towards membership elite status."
  • The bonus points received for the credit card sign-up are nonqualifying towards status.
  • Points from credit card spend are qualifying points and will count toward a member's status qualification.
  • Bonus Point Packages are qualifying points and will count toward a member's status qualification.
  • Bonus points received through promos, including credit card offers, are nonqualifying points for status.

What activity resets the one-year point expiration clock (i.e., prevents points from expiring)?
  • Maintaining elite status (including via the credit card, if your card offers that benefit)
  • Any earning activity that increases your balance (including nonqualifying or bonus points), such as transfering points from programmes like e-rewards
  • Any redemption activity that decreases your balance (including an award booking that is subsequently canceled)
  • Being a dining rewards member
Print Wikipost

Change to IHG Rewards Club 2015

Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Checking into a CP today, I asked if the desk people knew about the deadline for the new status.

They had no idea there would BE a new status level at all!
Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
I noticed an interesting change when I called into the Ambassador Service Center today. You no longer have the option to either press 2 for reservations, or 3 for the ambassador service center. It just says "Thank you for calling reservations...".

I also noticed that the lady I spoke with (and the people I overheard) didn't have Southeast Asian accents. It doesn't sound like you are calling the Philippines anymore, but rather somewhere in the US. A welcomed change in my opinion.

I just found it to be interesting...take from it what you will.
When I call they say "Welcome Black"...
Old Jul 8, 2015, 2:12 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Checking into a CP today, I asked if the desk people knew about the deadline for the new status.

They had no idea there would BE a new status level at all!

Were you actually surprised? We are talking about IHG after all.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:24 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
So one more day to go...
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by rumbataz
So one more day to go...
why one more day?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: Hyatt PL, PC Spire/RA, HH GOLD, SPG Green, Marriott Silver, Skywards B, CSA Gold, Lufthansa Paper,UA
Originally Posted by Oliveredmunds
why one more day?
Becauzzzz we hadzz rumorzzz
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Wonder what color ink the words on the new imaginary card will be.

I hope they are gilt edged.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by olegator
Becauzzzz we hadzz rumorzzz
I was hoping someone was going to start singing Les Mis one day more but alas it seems as though no one will!
Old Jul 9, 2015, 11:57 pm
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I have moved the discussion about the new top tier status to its own thread, which could be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ier-spire.html

Please continue to discussion about the new top tier in this thread.

I also have deleted a few off topic posts.

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum
Old Apr 3, 2016, 10:03 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by lfc84

To enable IHG to reward our guests who stay with us most often, starting from May 2016, IHG will expire all points for IHG Rewards Club Members if they have not earned or redeemed any points at all in the previous 12 months. IHG Rewards Club members will continue to maintain their point balances simply by completing a qualifying stay at one of IHGs 4,800 hotels or redeeming some of their existing points during a membership year.
Shouldn't this mean the current points should have expiry either 30-April-2017 or 31-May-2017?

I noticed this on my account today
Point Expiration Date: Mar 08, 2017 How to keep my points
this is because I have activity on 8-March-2016. What happen if I do not have any activities in the past 12 points, does this mean all my points will expire?
Old Apr 11, 2016, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by lingua101
Shouldn't this mean the current points should have expiry either 30-April-2017 or 31-May-2017?

I noticed this on my account today

this is because I have activity on 8-March-2016. What happen if I do not have any activities in the past 12 points, does this mean all my points will expire?
I have 5k points that expire in May 2016. Can I book something for points + cash and cancel later to extend the expiry of points?

When I go through the reservation, its as if I am purchasing points for the reservation. Not sure whether I would end up with original payment in $ or points after cancellation.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by stevester
I have 5k points that expire in May 2016. Can I book something for points + cash and cancel later to extend the expiry of points?

When I go through the reservation, its as if I am purchasing points for the reservation. Not sure whether I would end up with original payment in $ or points after cancellation.
If they charge your card now, chances are you'd end up with points if you canceled it. But I haven't done the experiment.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by sethb
If they charge your card now, chances are you'd end up with points if you canceled it. But I haven't done the experiment.
Thanks. I will just get a dunkin donuts gc

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.