Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2015, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
What points count towards status?

"Base points earned from Qualifying Rates paid for hotel stays, points collected from partner transactions, IHG® Rewards Club Bonus Points Packages and Meeting Rewards are considered Elite Qualifying Points and counted towards membership elite status."
  • The bonus points received for the credit card sign-up are nonqualifying towards status.
  • Points from credit card spend are qualifying points and will count toward a member's status qualification.
  • Bonus Point Packages are qualifying points and will count toward a member's status qualification.
  • Bonus points received through promos, including credit card offers, are nonqualifying points for status.

What activity resets the one-year point expiration clock (i.e., prevents points from expiring)?
  • Maintaining elite status (including via the credit card, if your card offers that benefit)
  • Any earning activity that increases your balance (including nonqualifying or bonus points), such as transfering points from programmes like e-rewards
  • Any redemption activity that decreases your balance (including an award booking that is subsequently canceled)
  • Being a dining rewards member
Print Wikipost

Change to IHG Rewards Club 2015

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by IHGSteve
Possession of the credit card does not automatically move you up to the new tier. It's based on nights and points.
Do credit card sign-up bonus points count towards the 75k threshold for being granted the new level on July 1st?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bluebirdie
Thanks for the heads up!

I also copied a paragraph from IHG fag pertaining this new rule below:

Am I to assume any charge on the IHG card that earns IHG point will extend the expiration date for another 12 months?

Kindly enlighten as to why the following words that you copied from the applicable page, are so difficult for you to understand?

purchases on your IHG credit card
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by chicago_flyer
Do credit card sign-up bonus points count towards the 75k threshold for being granted the new level on July 1st?
Nope. Those aren't qualifying points.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by chicago_flyer
Now, that is a good question, and one that I actually have "skin in the game" as my wife is putting $1,000 on her new credit card to earn those 70,000 bonus points.

My best assumption is yes, as I believe that IHG has traditionally made no distinction from where those points could be earned -- which is generally the same for the other hotel programs.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
Yessssssssssss!!!!! Finally a top tier that isn't attainable by simply having a credit card!

REAL rewards for REAL loyal guests. Finally. The 100% bonus is nice, and hopefully some details of other perks will be released in the coming months. Loyalty to non-IC IHG brands night actually start having real benefits!

And if this is a late April Fools joke, it's cruel and I hate you.
By the way, if you have not guessed, I bet your precious Royal Ambassador is going to be jettisoned -- it would be stupid of them to make a new higher level which actually rewards loyalty at their hotels, instead of just holding a credit card, for them to continue with an antiquated program that only serves a fraction of their hotels and likely is costly to administer.

So, take that...

But, in all seriousness, they should reward loyalty to the CHAIN as a whole for those who patronize whatever establishments may exist therein -- just like all the other chains with entry level and marquee properties.

I believe a prime driver of this is their acquisition of Kimpton hotels, that now provides them with a real package of great properties in downtown US city cores and which are not Holiday Inn quality.

If they truly want to realize their investment in this boutique chain, not to mention retain those members of Kimpton Karma rewards, they had to do something to re-set their rewards program to bring it into alignment and reality with the other major hotel chains.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:17 pm
Suspended

I'm praying no. If the CC grants the new tier, that would completely defeat the purpose. I want the new status to be "difficult" to earn. The harder it is, the more beneficial it will be to those who have it. Sort of like IC's version of Royal Ambassador.

The whole secret name thing? That's part of the hype, and dare I say, mystique (yes, I have no life). Any guesses? My guess would be something along the lines of Diamond.
I am certain -- well as certain as one who has no knowledge of their plans can be -- that the IHG MC will continue to grant now 2nd tier level Platinum status in their new rewards re-alignment.

I also believe that they are going to transition out the Ambassador program so that they will have -- like everyone else -- a unitary rewards program. Moreover, those who are actually dedicated IHG chain hotel junkies -- from Intercontinental on down -- will see the benefit of continually patronizing these hotels with the award of that top tier status.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Now, that is a good question, and one that I actually have "skin in the game" as my wife is putting $1,000 on her new credit card to earn those 70,000 bonus points.

My best assumption is yes, as I believe that IHG has traditionally made no distinction from where those points could be earned -- which is generally the same for the other hotel programs.
The 70k points you earn as a sign-up bonus for spending $1,000 will not be qualifying points, and therefore will not count towards obtaining the new elite tier.

The points you earn from purchases will be qualifying however. But to earn 75,000 points you'd have to spend $75k on the credit card (unless you use the card at the hotel and earn 5x points, etc.).

Source: IHG Program T&C

"All other point earning transactions, including promotional points, points vouchers, points purchase, points transfers, and points deposits, will be considered Non-Elite Qualifying Points and will not be counted towards elite status."

Last edited by TravelTheWorld66; Apr 13, 2015 at 8:36 pm Reason: Added T&C Paragraph
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:28 pm

By the way, if you have not guessed, I bet your precious Royal Ambassador is going to be jettisoned
They already made it clear that there aren't any changes coming to the Ambassador program.

I also believe that they are going to transition out the Ambassador program so that they will have -- like everyone else -- a unitary rewards program. Moreover, those who are actually dedicated IHG chain hotel junkies -- from Intercontinental on down -- will see the benefit of continually patronizing these hotels with the award of that top tier status.
I don't think a single rewards program is the way to go. I'm a very loyal IHG customer for one reason only; the Royal Ambassador program. I have always written off the Platinum status as useless; just something I obtained on my way to RA. If at any point they would have decided to discontinue the RA program, I would have jumped ship. I think a lot of people would do the same.

I use the other IHG hotels as cheap methods to obtain my RA status. I LOVE the idea of keeping the RA program AND upgrading the current top tier IHG elite rank.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bitachu
dislike the new pts expiration policy(what will be the easiest pts accural other then credit card or dining rewards network?)

dislike that 300 hotels will be increasing by 10k(or k5) and only 150 will be decreasing by 5k

neutral with the "top tier status" and its benefits

Why do i have a feeling that points breaks is gonna disappear with these "enhancements"?
Because you obviously are a negative thinking individual.

It is indeed interesting, that you have failed to mention that they will be moving down a number of hotels, as well and I don' think that is a coincidence.

Of course, I don't look with relish raising point levels at just the hotels that I am likely to patronize, but first, they are lowering the points at a number of hotels -- as many of the chains have done;

and they are raising them at a number of properties -- as all of the chains have done.

With respect to the PointBreaks, their death knell has been continuously signaled by many a negative thinker over the years, and yet they remain.

I bet that with IHG re-aligning to make itself look more like the rest of the hotel frequency pack, they will RETAIN POINTBREAKS for the following reasons:

1). They do not wish to alienate a large segment of their rewards program -- from RA on down, who look forward with each release the opportunity to score some real deals -- and bragging rights to their friends who are not members of IHG Rewards; and

2). As a significant perk of the current IHG Reward program, not only would its demise alienate its current core supporters, but its retention would be a signal way to differentiate the NEW IHG REWARDS from its now similarly situated competition -- i.e.; this could be the very perk that IHG uses to poach hitherto standoffish travelers from other hotel frequency programs.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no other hotel rewards program, whose members look forward to the semi-annual release of this sort of "news" as do the IHG Rewards members.

What better way than to get some serious mojo amongst the unconverted than by showing them that in addition to some outstanding business and leisure properties in the US with the acquisition of Kimpton hotels, they now have a rewards program that those newly converted would actually not only wish to use at these properties, but also that some of those points that they would doubtless be earning at these establishments can be used to great effect by this aspect of the IHG Rewards program that none of its competitors has ever attempted to grant members of their respective rewards programs.

The opportunities for IHG Rewards to re-launch itself and establish itself within the consciousness of the traveling public are endless -- I just hope that they don't botch this golden opportunity presented to them. @:-)
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IHGSteve
No additional changes at this time.
How diplomatic, Steve!
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:43 pm
Suspended

They already made it clear that there aren't any changes coming to the Ambassador program.

Actually, Travel, he gave an answer, non-answer.

See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24660742-post15.html

No additional changes at this time.
First, I think he mis-wrote, as unless I am wrong, there were no, zilch, nugatory, etc., changes disclosed at all with respect to the Ambassador program -- was not this announcement only pertaining to IHG Rewards?

If not, what actual changes were made to the Ambassador program???

So, with respect to any "additional" changes, I must have missed those "original" changes.

In any event, even if it was a slight misrepresentation, the operative words are "... at this time..."

As the form and shape of the rewards program is still in a state of flux, if an when changes are to be made --- and announced -- will come some time in the future, so the phrase "at this time" or the time of this writing/announcement, means nothing as to any future changes to the program.

I still believe that the Ambassador program is a goner, although not as soon as I would have hoped.

In any event, since you utilize all brands in your quest for RA status -- and I commend you for that -- I think that when the dust finally settles, you still will be in good shape to partake of the benefits the new program will offer.

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Apr 13, 2015 at 8:51 pm
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:47 pm

Actually, Travel, he gave an answer, non-answer.
"No additional changes at this time."

It's enough of an answer for me. If there ever was a time to combine programs, now would be it. An announcement this major was obviously well thought out, and probably would have included Ambassador program changes if they were on the horizon.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:52 pm
Suspended

The 70k points you earn as a sign-up bonus for spending $1,000 will not be qualifying points, and therefore will not count towards obtaining the new elite tier.

The points you earn from purchases will be qualifying however. But to earn 75,000 points you'd have to spend $75k on the credit card (unless you use the card at the hotel and earn 5x points, etc.).

Source: IHG Program T&C

"All other point earning transactions, including promotional points, points vouchers, points purchase, points transfers, and points deposits, will be considered Non-Elite Qualifying Points and will not be counted towards elite status."
Thanks, I have yet to read the source material, instead confining myself to my musings here on FT!
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:54 pm

Thanks, I have yet to read the source material, instead confining myself to my musings here on FT!
I figured That's what I'm here for!
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:57 pm
Suspended

I figured That's what I'm here for!
Touche!! :-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.