Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extending Chase IHG Free Night

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Extending Chase IHG Free Night

Could the Annual Chase IHG free night be extended just like Marriott Chase can be extended after 6 Months?.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 5:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ual902
Could the Annual Chase IHG free night be extended just like Marriott Chase can be extended after 6 Months?.
No, but unlike the Chase Marriott free night, you can book it for a reward stay beyond its "expiration" date which truly is a termination or drop dead date at Marriott.

However, should you actually book the IHG free night beyond its "expiration" date and that date passes and you then wish to change your mind and re-book for another date or an entirely different hotel, you will lose the attached certificate.

Consequently, it is longer lived than the Marriott certificate, but once assigned to a specific hotel and its expiration date passes, it is a use it or lose it proposition -- you will not be able to later change your mind concerning its use date, nor the hotel where the free night is to be consumed.

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Mar 2, 2015 at 5:17 am
Old Aug 17, 2016, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I was wondering whether anyone had more recent experience with this.

My night expires in Aug, great, but my wife's in April. Would be great to use them both in summer.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold; IHG Spire Elite
I'm sort of wondering too. My "cert" expires 5/5/17, but the website is letting me book a room for free in June. What will happen when i show up at the hotel? It's in Madrid, Spain.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Sterlingguy
I'm sort of wondering too. My "cert" expires 5/5/17, but the website is letting me book a room for free in June. What will happen when i show up at the hotel? It's in Madrid, Spain.
Nothing bad will happen. They probably won't even blink an eye. Enjoy Madrid. It's my new favorite in Europe. Are you staying at the Hotel Indigo?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold; IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by sleuth
Nothing bad will happen. They probably won't even blink an eye. Enjoy Madrid. It's my new favorite in Europe. Are you staying at the Hotel Indigo?
Thanks for the counsel. I'm using my freebie night after my school group goes to the airport. Then the next day I'm back to the airport to go to Tallinn. So I'm unsettled as to where to crash for just one night? The airport? Indigo? the IC? I don't want to waste my voucher on a 100 bucks a night place, but don't want to have a lot of hassle for one night, either. Advice?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:25 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Sterlingguy
Thanks for the counsel. I'm using my freebie night after my school group goes to the airport. Then the next day I'm back to the airport to go to Tallinn. So I'm unsettled as to where to crash for just one night? The airport? Indigo? the IC? I don't want to waste my voucher on a 100 bucks a night place, but don't want to have a lot of hassle for one night, either. Advice?
Indigo is a two minute walk from the metro stop and one stop from the palace. If you like more modern Indigo is it. IC is certainly stately but the rooms are in need of a refurb. The CP at the airport is nice, but only good if you're flying early in the morning.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:48 am

I am still trying to figure out if it's "book by" or "stay by"

Here is official terms and condition on IHG.com on anniversary certificate.

"The Anniversary Free Night must be redeemed, and stay must be completed within the booking window dates shown."

To me it's pretty cut and dry that I must complete the stay before the certificate is expired not just book by. But what I am hearing on this thread is that I can still book the stay past the certificate expiry date as long as I make a booking before?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:13 pm

Historically, that's been the case, and I did so once myself with no issue. I don't think it's exactly the "official" policy though, because as you say, the certificate seems to say otherwise. Some people have emailed the hotel after they made the reservation to verify it's okay. That way, they have something in writing.

Note, you won't be able to cancel your reservation and get the certificate back once the expiration date has past.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 2:49 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I have a free night cert expiring the end of this month; is it possible to extend?
YUL likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 4:29 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I have a free night cert expiring the end of this month; is it possible to extend?
Came here with same question. I did a search and found last year's certs could be exchanged for 25K points. Is this being offered again?
Old Dec 21, 2022, 4:45 pm
Community Director Emerita

No joy on going to online chat.

I am sorry, but we can't convert your free night into points. The free night last year was extended or converted into points due to the pandemic situation. I'm really sorry that we can no longer extend the expiration date beyond this year.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most could not convert last year either

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.