Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ambassador Programme Information

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2015, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by scubaccr

The downside is at award nights booked earlier, outside your current Amb Year won't get the 10% rebate as oft reported here

You need to rebook your award nights assuming they are still available and cancel the original award nights ... Or if unavailable either forgo the 10% or risk cancelling in hope they appear on award inventory and you get to them first so you can rebook
That's what I was afraid of. I assumed I wouldn't get the rebate for the late June stays, but you think I won't get the 10% for the early July stay either, just because it was booked before the new AMB year, even though the stay was at the start of the renewal years? I thought about canceling and rebooking, but I was worried something would go wrong.

But as a general question, when does the 10% rebate usually get posted? A few weeks or months after the stay? Or end of AMB year? And it's a rebate for all IHG redemptions, not just IC, correct?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:44 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Worth it to buy Ambassador for me?

I'm an IHG plat and have these stay planned, but not yet booked:

1. Buenos Aires, 2 nights, will pay with pesos at the hotel
2. Sydney, 1 night, possible Chase cc free night stay
3. the nicer IC in Hong Kong, 2 nights, good choice for Amb weekend BOGO
4. JNB airport, one night

Is it OK to wait until check-in at Buenos Aires, and only buy Amb if I like the room upgrade and/or lounge access (if on offer)? I could wait on Amb until check-in at the Sydney IC, and still get my Bogo in time for Hong Kong.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 3:16 am

Buying your ambassador status at the hotel might give you some bargaining power in getting an upgrade/lounge. Given that your first stay is for 2 nights, I would think that it is most valuable to buy Amb status there. It helps to know which room categories the hotel offers, and for which there is still good availability (check website on day of check in).
Note that when you buy ambassador status at a hotel, your earnings for that particular stay are capped at 2k points (per the T&C).
Old Sep 20, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold, Delta Gold, Bonvoy Plat
If I buy the Ambassador status at the hotel, will they hand over the welcome package (incl. the bogo certificate) at that time? I would need it for another stay in 3 weeks...
Old Sep 20, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt PL, PC Spire/RA, HH GOLD, SPG Green, Marriott Silver, Skywards B, CSA Gold, Lufthansa Paper,UA
You will need to wait I believe. They cannot imprint your card straight away and so on.
Please correct me if I,m wrong.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:26 am

Programs: IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, GHA Black
dont think the hotel carries the ambassador kit in their inventory. believe this is under IC Corporate.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 3:16 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, Delta Gold, Bonvoy Plat
Ambassador Programm Information

Ok thanks for those infos
So it seems impossible to buy now the ambassador status and use the bogo for mid October ...
Old Sep 24, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: UA Premier Exec; AA Platinum; SPG Gold; PC Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Gringuito
Ok thanks for those infos
So it seems impossible to buy now the ambassador status and use the bogo for mid October ...
Call them and ask- IHG Corporate has to send it to you, but maybe they can expedite if you have a trip coming up.

The IHG's I talked to didn't seem to care if I signed up for the Ambassador there or not, so I signed up on line so that I could redeem 32,000 points instead.

Just used my BOGO at the IC Hong Kong last weekend, and yes, it is a good place to use it- paid $900 for one night, but got 2 x $1,400 hotel rooms in return (Booked Exec Suite, got the guaranteed upgrade to a Deluxe Suite- amazing room!).

Just remember that you need to book the BOGO through the special Ambassador link (sometimes higher rates, though they were the same for the IC Hong Kong), and don't expect any upgrades on redemption nights (though we did get either free club or free breakfast at the IC Bangkok on a redemption night).
Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: IHG (Spire), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott (Lifetime Gold); Hyatt (Globalist)
Hi - if I buy Ambassador status with 32,000 points today, would I receive any tangible benefits (room upgrade/breakfast/lounge) at the IC Hong Kong for 1 night in November(Chase free cert) and/or 2 separate 1 night stays using 30,000 points at the IC JNB Tambo airport in South Africa?

I rarely stay at ICs on paid rates but do use them for reward stays from time to time... Happy to use 32,000 points if these particular hotels would give me some benefits on an award stay.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 5:44 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by skeeze666
Hi - if I buy Ambassador status with 32,000 points today, would I receive any tangible benefits (room upgrade/breakfast/lounge) at the IC Hong Kong for 1 night in November(Chase free cert) and/or 2 separate 1 night stays using 30,000 points at the IC JNB Tambo airport in South Africa?

I rarely stay at ICs on paid rates but do use them for reward stays from time to time... Happy to use 32,000 points if these particular hotels would give me some benefits on an award stay.

You should get Ambassador benefits on the Chase free night, any benefits on the points stay would be discretionary.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 4:26 pm

I have received a room upgrade at O R Tambo each of the 3 times I have stayed on points.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by skeeze666

You can't rely on Ambassador getting you any benefit on pts stays. My understanding is that you're highly unlikely to get a harbour view room at IC HK on a points stay for example, and I certainly wouldn't expect to get lounge access often.

I'm actually in a similar situation to you. I just joined Ambassador because I am doing a night at the IC HK in November (paid for Harbour view room, confirmed upgrade to suite). Personally I think the additional night voucher justifies the cost, any additional benefits you get (like perks on points stays) is a pleasant bonus.

Factor in that you get 5k points back (so 27k for Ambassador) and the renewal cost is only 24k points (19k after 5k back for future years!).
Old Sep 29, 2015, 1:18 am

Programs: IHG (Spire), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott (Lifetime Gold); Hyatt (Globalist)
Thanks for the replies... I think that puts me squarely at 50/50 as to whether it is worth it for my situation. Last year as just a plat I was able to ask nicely ahead of time in an email and receive wonderful lounge access and a room upgrade at the IC Tokyo Bay when I arrived, 'as a one time special offer for my first time staying with them and being a trip with my dad'... I will probably just try a similar tactic and assume it won't work, but if I get anything (I am Spire lol) it will be a welcome bonus... I just won't stay at ICs on paid rates very often. I'd actually prefer not to use the free cert at IC Hong Kong on this trip but it is expiring and that is where I can best use it, so I'm just using it for the last night before I fly out - obviously a view is what I want, but I don't expect it.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 2:30 pm

How do you guys respond when a hotel does not honour the ambassador upgrade?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 9:23 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Is buying into Ambassador worth it for upgrades only, assuming all my bookings are reward nights. I may stay upwards of 10 nights per year at ICs. Lets assume all other benefits are negligible in my situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.