Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG Acquires Kimpton

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Ouch. And, to think that the SF properties were the ones I was most excited about!
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by dw
I wouldn't be surprised to see something that parallels IC Amb/RA-- points earning and redemption at Kimpton will be integrated into IHG Rewards, but they will continue their own elite program (Inner Circle) with its own set of qualifying criteria, and there will be no official on-property recognition of IHG elites
I don't see how they can avoid giving some sort of Spire recognition at Kimpton/IC, ranking below RA/IC. I'd like to see AMB comped for Spire, but folks here seem to think that won't ever happen.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by King Chung Huang
Ouch. And, to think that the SF properties were the ones I was most excited about!
Well, there are still four Kimpton properties in San Francisco.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Originally Posted by nicolas75
Well, there are still four Kimpton properties in San Francisco.
Two now - another two went today. IHG interim results confirmed today that 7 have left
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The beginning of the end of Kimpton as we know it.

Hotel Monaco SF - gone

Hotel Palomar SF - gone

Prescott Hotel SF - gone

Argonaut and Tuscan - at risk

Buchanan and Sir Francis Drake - probably safe for now (already subject to union contracts).

Some of these were the founding cornerstones of Kimpton.
Well, I am not quite sure to understand all the fuss about Kimpton hotels.
I have never stayed at one of them, but looking at pictures, they look mainly as renovated Crowne Plazas with so-call creative interior design (actually more corporate design than creative one).
In another words: good hotels, but nothing extraordinary.

Is service that great? At IHG hotels, I am generally very well welcomed and never had to complain about service.

Some properties are leaving the Kimpton network, certainly for more financial reasons than anything else.

The point is: Kimpton need to be developped and would certainly receive more from IHG (commercial and marketing power) than what it might lose.

Last edited by nicolas75; Jul 30, 2015 at 12:37 pm
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
If only Inner Circle members count, so that after Jan 1st an IHG Spire means nothing, except perhaps 20 ppd, what difference does it make?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seven Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants properties located in San Francisco exited the InterContinental Hotels Group system due to union issues, according to Richard Solomons, IHG’s CEO.

http://www.hotelnewsnow.com/mobile/a...rticleid=16375
Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by nicolas75
Well, I am not quite sure to understand all the fuss about Kimpton hotels.
I have never stayed at one of them, but looking at pictures, they look mainly as renovated Crowne Plazas with so-call creative interior design (actually more corporate design than creative one).
In another words: good hotels, but nothing extraordinary.
They were a different class of hotel. I don't mean higher or lower. I just mean different. They were a chain of boutique hotels that (although I haven't stayed in one in quite some time) didn't feel anything like staying at a member hotel from a corporate monstrosity. They were founded in San Francisco and them, along with Joie de Vivre did a fantastic job when they started, turning places that needed help from poopoodoodookaka holes into places people wanted to stay and return to. Kimpton did quite fine even with the labor market issues in San Francisco. It was one of the first to make excellent dining a cornerstone of a hotel experience. It will be interesting to see how the departed hotels perform, but I expect quite well. SF has some of the highest average room rates in the US (probably second to NYC, but at times, seasonally first). I'm just surprised so much of the Kimpton portfolio is gone, so quickly.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I'm just surprised so much of the Kimpton portfolio is gone, so quickly.
It's not surprising when you think about the union issues and managing a portfolio of over 4000 hotels. Taking aside the existing IHG properties in SF, where the union issues have been accounted for for many years, I'm sure IHG didn't want to deal with the mess of adding new hotels where the staff had significantly higher pay and benefit and overall cost issues. It not only screws up their financial modeling, but also can lead to personnelle difficulties down the road.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by stimpy
It's not surprising when you think about the union issues and managing a portfolio of over 4000 hotels. Taking aside the existing IHG properties in SF, where the union issues have been accounted for for many years, I'm sure IHG didn't want to deal with the mess of adding new hotels where the staff had significantly higher pay and benefit and overall cost issues. It not only screws up their financial modeling, but also can lead to personnelle difficulties down the road.
It seems crazy that what are as I understand it individually managed hotels under a relatively loose umbrella are deemed to be part of a larger corporate in this way, and I thought that union issues in the UK were screwed up!
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
And the message to the rest of the Kimpton chain is, in the words of the Borg "You Will Be Assimilated. Resistance is Futile"
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
It seems crazy that what are as I understand it individually managed hotels under a relatively loose umbrella are deemed to be part of a larger corporate in this way, and I thought that union issues in the UK were screwed up!
The thing is that the Kimpton portfolio has a large percentage of its properties in labor-friendly cities (some where most if not all hotel workers are unionized). SF, Boston, Chicago, NYC, Seattle, Portland, DC - all labor friendly places. Kimpton was able to make a living with this portfolio. To shed so much so quickly ... perhaps the model was to own the Monaco brand and before we know it, that will be the new IHG sub-brand for the properties that stay, and anything else they want boutiquey.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Aeroplan 25K, UA Silver
This news is very disquieting. As a Kimpton IC, I have stayed at all the hotels that have left the brand name and enjoyed them. I was not happy when IHG acquired Kimpton, so this just supports my negative thoughts on the acquisition. I am particularly troubled by the lack of notice to IC members. I haven't received any of these defection notices, probably because I have nothing booked there, so this is a complete and very unwelcome surprise.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

About international developments:

A room in Kimpton's upcoming Hotel Van Zandt in Austin, due to open in November

Kimpton's first non-US property, the Cayman Islands, is due to open late next year.

There are no other international properties "firmly planted on the books yet", but Brewster said: "I'm sure that now [the acquisition] is all done and we can start moving forward, our development team is going to be looking at all opportunities that come up around the world."

She added: "Probably the number one question I am asked when I come to London is: 'When are you going to open a Kimpton hotel in London?' And now I can say that I think it's going to happen sooner than we might have thought six months or a year ago."
About the integration within IHG and loyalty program:

Kimpton's properties cannot yet be booked through the IHG website. Brewster said: "Some of those things are still in development on how the brands are going to be displayed, but we are going to continue to operate under the umbrella of IHG but with 100 per cent Kimpton branding."

She added: "I think there will be some system synergies down the road where it makes sense to combine efforts, but it will be in the system, not necessarily what you touch or what you dial."
- See more at: http://www.businesstravelerusa.com/n...xpansion#.dpuf
Old Dec 13, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
It certainly seems IHG are taking their time integrating Kimpton into IHG Rewards. Kimpton sent out an email to its members on Friday stating:

"Here's what you can expect in 2016:
Kimpton Karma Rewards will continue to serve as the loyalty program for Kimpton
You'll receive quarterly updates with details on how things are progressing as it relates to bringing the best of Karma Rewards & IHG Rewards Club together."

And for 2017:
"Kimpton will be going global, so get ready. Of course, we'll also have more to share as it relates to marrying Kimpton Karma Rewards and IHG Rewards Club"

It all seems a bit vague to me but indicates that IHG points will not be awarded for a number of months on Kimpton stays, which is too bad as I have a couple of Kimpton stays booked for early 2016 for which I was hoping to get IHG points - I'll probably reevaluate where I stay as as result of this - it seems to have taken a year to get nowhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.