Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Holiday Inn cancelled my booking without notification!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2014, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Holiday Inn cancelled my booking without notification!

hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. I have a family trip to Paris in a couple of weeks and since there are 4 of us, we split up the booking to take advantage of the intothenights promotion. However, as I was verifying my hotel bookings, I noticed one of the bookings in the beginning of the stay was cancelled. I contacted IHG customer care chat and they told me that the hotel cancelled the reservation without any notes attached. Since my family will all be staying there, I had to rebook at the same hotel. Except this time, at a higher rate. To me, this is horrible business practice. Think if I hadn't re-verified my booking and just showed up and they tell me it was cancelled. To complicate matters, this was the one booking that I made that was done via the IHG app, so I had to have it as I am already set for hotel bookings the rest of the year. This to me is terrible business practice, I have emailed customer care and requested my rate adjusted back and hopefully wont screw up my "app" booking.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Originally Posted by SunJiang
hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. I have a family trip to Paris in a couple of weeks and since there are 4 of us, we split up the booking to take advantage of the intothenights promotion. However, as I was verifying my hotel bookings, I noticed one of the bookings in the beginning of the stay was cancelled. I contacted IHG customer care chat and they told me that the hotel cancelled the reservation without any notes attached. Since my family will all be staying there, I had to rebook at the same hotel. Except this time, at a higher rate. To me, this is horrible business practice. Think if I hadn't re-verified my booking and just showed up and they tell me it was cancelled. To complicate matters, this was the one booking that I made that was done via the IHG app, so I had to have it as I am already set for hotel bookings the rest of the year. This to me is terrible business practice, I have emailed customer care and requested my rate adjusted back and hopefully wont screw up my "app" booking.
If you have a confirmation number you can run this through with the hotels concerned. I had such an issue before with HI Hong Kong and it gets sorted out quickly.

Good luck!
Old Nov 23, 2014, 3:11 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by LuisHK
If you have a confirmation number you can run this through with the hotels concerned. I had such an issue before with HI Hong Kong and it gets sorted out quickly.

Good luck!
+1

If you have a confirmation email I would escalate this, both with IHG and the hotel, until it gets resolved.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 4:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Did you try phoning the hotel and explaining the situation and ask the hotel to reinstate the booking? I would be surprised if the hotel didn't quickly fix the mistake if contacted
Old Nov 23, 2014, 6:50 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Did you try phoning the hotel and explaining the situation and ask the hotel to reinstate the booking? I would be surprised if the hotel didn't quickly fix the mistake if contacted
Definitely agree. The hotel may have thought you had created a dup reservation and tried to pro-actively "fix" it for you. So just call them up and ask them to look into it.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:04 am
Original Poster

thanks all for the responses. However, IHG customer care did offer to reinstate the booking, however, I declined due to the original booking was made via the app to complete one of my tasks for the into the nights promotion, and rebooked it myself via the app. Problem is the original rate was about 15 euros cheaper. I hope they can readjust the rate or offer some sort of compensation.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you were offered the original rate and declined, the notes will now say so. At this point I would call the property directly and sort this out. Global reservations & customer service agents are simply middlemen and your problem can be dealt with in seconds by anybody at a terminal at the property.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...-ihg-com.html?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

thanks all for the responses. However, IHG customer care did offer to reinstate the booking, however, I declined due to the original booking was made via the app to complete one of my tasks for the into the nights promotion, and rebooked it myself via the app. Problem is the original rate was about 15 euros cheaper. I hope they can readjust the rate or offer some sort of compensation.
At this point, I don't think that there is much more that should be expected; IHG offereed to reinstate the booking and you then refused it
Old Nov 23, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
At this point, I don't think that there is much more that should be expected; IHG offered to reinstate the booking and you then refused it
+1.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:16 pm

At this point, I don't think that there is much more that should be expected; IHG offereed to reinstate the booking and you then refused it
+1

OP is worried about the problem with app booking - I think all he needs to do is to let IHG agent to reinstate and make sure the agent make a note that this is originally booked through the app... No point rejecting in the 1st place.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:48 am
Original Poster

+1

OP is worried about the problem with app booking - I think all he needs to do is to let IHG agent to reinstate and make sure the agent make a note that this is originally booked through the app... No point rejecting in the 1st place.
i tried that, the agent that offered to reinstate told me that it would not count as an app booking. If push comes to shove, I will simply pay the higher rate as it is only 15 euros or so, but its the principle of the issue.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:07 pm

i tried that, the agent that offered to reinstate told me that it would not count as an app booking. If push comes to shove, I will simply pay the higher rate as it is only 15 euros or so, but its the principle of the issue.
put down the phone, try again.

The IHG agents normally are not very consistent with their responses - be it through call center or email.

I know it's a matter of principle - that's why I ask if you can get the hotel to reinstate - indicate somewhere that this was booked via app and get the agent to acknowledge (the last portion is normally the hard part)
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:16 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
put down the phone, try again.

The IHG agents normally are not very consistent with their responses - be it through call center or email.
What use would it be? The first agent was probably right and even if you find a second agent who claims differently, it will be an upward battle later on with no outlook for success. A reservation made over the phone simply isn't the same as one made with the app.

Getting in contact with the hotel and telling them that they canceled and you rebooked, and if they would please honor the original rate, seems more promosing.

HTB.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by htb
What use would it be? The first agent was probably right and even if you find a second agent who claims differently, it will be an upward battle later on with no outlook for success. A reservation made over the phone simply isn't the same as one made with the app.

Getting in contact with the hotel and telling them that they canceled and you rebooked, and if they would please honor the original rate, seems more promosing.

HTB.
The mantra of FlyerTalk is HUACA (Hang Up and Call Again) What can it hurt to try another agent. You did not cause the problem, Hilton or the hotel did, it is up to them to fix it. Not all agents have the same knowledge (though they should) so there is no harm in HUACA, you might just be surprised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.