Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two questions about Chase IHG card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2014, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Question Two questions about Chase IHG card

Many posts online say the Chase IHG card is a no brainer and I am recently thinking about get one for myself. I have two questions which I couldn't figure out by Google.
1. My dad travels much more than me. Can I give my annual free night to my dad? I know I can redeem my IHG point and reserve rooms for him. But I don't know whether I can do the same thing with my annual free night at IHG.
2. I will be attending a conference and IHG is the official hotel of the conference. The conference requires me to reserve a room via a given link:
https://resweb.passkey.com/Resweb.do...entID=11****14
(For privacy the middle 4 digits of the event ID are hidden.) If I reserve my room using my Chase IHG card via this link, can I still earn 5 points per dollar? It seems this passkey.com is a website offering discounted hotel rates for events.

If no and no, is there any other hotel card that has a positive answer for the first question, or can earn points from reservations at a third party website?
Thank you.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 1:09 am

Re #2: Passkey is a system that many hotels use for group reservations. You make the reservation through Passkey, it gets transferred to the hotel's in-house system, and then it is like any other reservation in terms of billing and such once you are at the hotel. So yes, you will earn normal points. The only reason you are going through Passkey is so the hotel can separately manage the inventory and rates for your group.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
1. This a tough one. You're not supposed to be able to gift the annual night. I really haven't seen folks having a hard time do what you're trying to do - esp with a dad who likely has the same last name. But....

It would hard to fight if you end up at a front desk with someone who actually knows the rules or the reservation has been tagged to look for ID. I can't imagine it happening but I think it's, to the letter of the rules, a no go.

Personally, I wouldn't try it only because my dad is 80 years old and I wouldn't want to put an old man in that position. But I'd have no problem trying it with my wife/a brother who was a seasoned traveler. Just my two cents.

Last edited by fireworksboy; Oct 19, 2014 at 11:30 am
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks @wcj1 and @fireworksboy. That makes sense. I think I won't put my dad in that position either. I will still apply for the card and enjoy the free night myself if approved

Originally Posted by fireworksboy
1. This a tough one. You're not supposed to be able to gift the annual night. I really haven't seen folks having a hard time do what you're trying to do - esp with a dad who likely has the same last name. But....

It would hard to fight if you end up at a front desk with someone who actually knows the rules or the reservation has been tagged to look for ID. I can't imagine it happening but I think it's, to the letter of the rules, a no go.

Personally, I wouldn't try it only because my dad is 80 years old and I wouldn't want to put an old man in that position. But I'd have no problem trying it with my wife/a brother who was a seasoned traveler. Just my two cents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.