Wiki Posts
Search

IHG Dining Rewards - Upgrade to Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Plat AMB, BA Bronze & QF Silver
IHG Dining Rewards - Upgrade to Platinum

Sorry if this is in the wrong section...

I am contemplating joining the IHG Dining Rewards scheme which would automatically trigger me moving up to the Platinum Elite level.

When making a points/points and cash booking as a Platinum Elite, would it be wise to expect a guaranteed room upgrade, on a honeymoon too, or would you only expect a guaranteed room upgrade on a paid stay? Any help would be appreciated as looking to sort out Hotels soonish for our honeymoon to Vietnam.

Hotels we are looking at staying are HI Sydney Airport, IC Sydney/IC Double Bay, then IC Ho Chi Minh. Any members received room upgrades as PE in these hotels, either paid stay or points and cash/points stay.

Thanks ^
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:16 am

Programs: Hilton - Diamond / Marriott - Platinum / SPG - Platinum / Priority Club - Platinum
Originally Posted by iFlip23

I am contemplating joining the IHG Dining Rewards scheme which would automatically trigger me moving up to the Platinum Elite level.

When making a points/points and cash booking as a Platinum Elite, would it be wise to expect a guaranteed room upgrade, on a honeymoon too, or would you only expect a guaranteed room upgrade on a paid stay? Any help would be appreciated as looking to sort out Hotels soonish for our honeymoon to Vietnam.

Hotels we are looking at staying are HI Sydney Airport, IC Sydney/IC Double Bay, then IC Ho Chi Minh. Any members received room upgrades as PE in these hotels, either paid stay or points and cash/points stay.

Thanks ^

I wouldn't expect much of Anything from being IHG plat, as it seems that everyone is Plat these days.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:27 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
How can joining IHG Dining Rewards trigger an upgrade to Platinum status??
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Brendan
Current Dining Rewards members with an IHG® Rewards Club membership will instantly become Gold Elite, and existing Gold Elite members will be upgraded to Platinum Elite. Members that do not have an IHG® Rewards Club membership will be automatically enrolled in the Dining Rewards programme at the Gold Elite level. For more details on IHG® Rewards Club benefits, visit ihgrewardsclub.com Link will open in new browser window..
Old Sep 29, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: IC Spire Ambassador, A3*G, MSC Diamond
Exclamation

Thanks ^
You should know that you NEVER receive a GUARANTEED room upgrade as an IHG Rewards Club Platinum member!
You ONLY receive a GUARANTEED room upgrade in InterContinental hotels when you join the Ambassador program!
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
This is a program that only applies to folks in Asia or Australasia, possibly Europe.

Last edited by sangkancilguru; Sep 29, 2014 at 11:20 am Reason: Added context
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:16 am
Original Poster

So with room upgrades being subject to availability this really means at the hotel discretion?

I really don't mind paying for the Hotels for our honeymoon, but wondered if it would be worth the risk in paying the price for the Dining Rewards ($319AUD) and then booking the 3 nights I require on points/points and cash, but still getting a decent room because of the upgrade with Platinum Elite.

Being a PE, are you more likely to be upgraded on paid stays to points/points cash stays, or is it just a tier of status that promises a lot, but in reality you don't really get much for it...?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:54 am

Programs: IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, GHA Black
I am a IHG Dining rewards member, ontop of the AUD319, i received an AUD 50 dining credit and a free night stay at any IHG property.

Considering that some higher end IHG properties are above 300 AUD, i felt it was decent for me to register for the program. The other reason was also I am a Plat Amb this year but I dont have enough stays to re-qualify for plat.

for IHG Plat, YMMV for award stays depending on the IHG property. You are given a complimentary upgrade on paid stays, and some upgrades are from 1 category to some quite beautiful suites. So its really YMMV.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
So with room upgrades being subject to availability this really means at the hotel discretion?

I really don't mind paying for the Hotels for our honeymoon, but wondered if it would be worth the risk in paying the price for the Dining Rewards ($319AUD) and then booking the 3 nights I require on points/points and cash, but still getting a decent room because of the upgrade with Platinum Elite.

Being a PE, are you more likely to be upgraded on paid stays to points/points cash stays, or is it just a tier of status that promises a lot, but in reality you don't really get much for it...?

Thanks in advance.
depending on property, if staying at IC's i believe ambassador is better value for you, for the sake of $200, you only need to enjoy the upgrades on a few nights for it to pay for itself, and you get all the other benefits too.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:39 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Air NZ lowly Jade now, Emirates
I would say join the ambassador program too. And if you are going to Sydney, I really think you should book a club room and you may get upgrade to a suite. You will love the views from the club.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien
depending on property, if staying at IC's i believe ambassador is better value for you, for the sake of $200, you only need to enjoy the upgrades on a few nights for it to pay for itself, and you get all the other benefits too.
Originally Posted by Susiew237
I would say join the ambassador program too. And if you are going to Sydney, I really think you should book a club room and you may get upgrade to a suite. You will love the views from the club.
So would you advise scrapping joining the IHG Dining Rewards scheme altogether, or, join that to go to PE, and then join Ambassador too?
I will probably do a bit of travelling, staying in IHG properties within the next 12 months too, so room upgrades could well pay for the membership quite quickly.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
So would you advise scrapping joining the IHG Dining Rewards scheme altogether, or, join that to go to PE, and then join Ambassador too?
I will probably do a bit of travelling, staying in IHG properties within the next 12 months too, so room upgrades could well pay for the membership quite quickly.
if you're staying at IHG properties, i would join both, the ambassador pays for itself really, the free night, and the upgrades etc, and if you tend to eat at properties, then the dining program is most likely worth joining too.

Do they have a co branded credit card in Aus to benefit from? A IHG Visa or Mastercard?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien
if you're staying at IHG properties, i would join both, the ambassador pays for itself really, the free night, and the upgrades etc, and if you tend to eat at properties, then the dining program is most likely worth joining too.

Do they have a co branded credit card in Aus to benefit from? A IHG Visa or Mastercard?
Thanks for the advice. I will join both.

They don't have a CC here in AUS at the moment. I am still using my UK visa sparsely over here. I hope they release one soon though, it would be great to take advantage of.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you may be confusing the US-only program (from Rewards Network) called IHG Club Rewards Dining, which involves dining at stand-alone restaurants, with this different one (being discussed here) called IHG Dining Awards, which involves dining with restaurants inside IHG properties.

Joining IHG Club Rewards Dining does nothing for your status. But apparently for some people in some countries, joining IHG Dining Awards does.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 2:15 am

Regarding Sydney ...
As PE, the HI Sydney Airport ( Domestic ) should give you a reasonable upgrade. I know for certain, at the Parramatta HI, book and pay for base level room, and get upgraded to a King Suite.
Others have already stated your best advice for the Sydney IC - pay for Ambassador Membership, and also buy an Australian-issued 'IHG Dining Rewards' Membership.
Book and pay for a 'King Club Opera House View' room, and you WILL BE upgraded to a 'King Executive' suite with Club Access. You should be able to see both the Opera House & the Sydney Harbour Bridge from your suite room. The 31st. floor Club Lounge ( with outdoor balcony ) really makes any 'special' occasion. Do pay the extra - it WILL BE worth it !!
The Policy at Sydney IC, is ... if you want 'Club', you need to pay for 'Club' ... then you will receive a 'one-class' upgrade ...
So, King Club Opera House View, as an Ambassador Member, gets you upgraded to King Club Executive Suite.
PE at Sydney IC doesn't mean anything ( oddly enough ). There is much written on this Forum about why that is ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.