Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there any point to the Elite status IHG cards?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2014, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Plat, AA GLD, DL FO, Natl Elite
Is there any point to the Elite status IHG cards?

Just got my Gold Elite card in the mail. Nice little thing, but is there any point in carrying it around? It seems every property knows your status already, so it's not like it's necessary in order to use the priority line. Nor does it have a barcode or mag stripe on it like airline status cards. Is it just a little tchotchke to keep?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:17 am

I'm platinum and I have never carried the card. I don't know why you would need to. Like you mentioned, it's in their system.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Plat, AA GLD, DL FO, Natl Elite
Guess I can make a travel scrapbook and put all the non-functional cards in there. Not sure what good my National card is either. I just grab the car and hand the parking lot attendant my CC and DL.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
Once I was unhappy with the people at the desk for a National Car rental I had reserved and I walked over to Avis. First they told me they had no cars, but when they saw my Avis "preferred" card, they changed their mind.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
At check in I present driver's license / passport, IHG credit card, Royal Ambassador card and then ask if the room is a high room with a view...
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:28 am

I always present my card at check in.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:49 am

Programs: IHG Plat; CC Gold
I recently had an email telling me that I could get free internet at any IHG hotel while visiting, even if I was not staying. It may be useful for that!
Old Jul 28, 2014, 12:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by camsean
I always present my card at check in.
Waste of room in wallet...its already in their system and they know exactly what status you have
Old Jul 28, 2014, 12:46 am

Nowadays I just use the live card that is on the IHG app, it's much easier and if required the hotels know it is up to date.

I have heard of guests who have recently moved levels being recognised at the level below if the reservations were made prior to the shift in status. It would appear that the level is logged on the reservation at the time of booking. There is a function for hotels to check but clearly some do not.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Technically, the card is not needed for stays, as long as you remember to enter it in your reservation (not everyone make their reservations via the website by themselves... some of us must go through our company's travel booking site), or, you have the number memorized or written down somewhere...

In my experience (I am PLAT), sometimes, the number doesn't stick, and I have to provided it again. (If the check-in person doesn't recognize that I am PLAT status, I ask to make sure my IHG number is in the system...)

Sometimes, my number is registered, but the check-in person forget to "notice" my status, and doesn't offer a complimentary upgrade. I am not shy about asking: "Any upgrade to a higher floor or a better view for a very loyal platinum member?" when going to a nice city/hotel. Some people may not be so vocal, and presenting their PLAT card (or in the OP's case, his GOLD card) does something similar...

Also, this is a newer benefit, but for members who happens to be in a IHG property, not staying as a guest, but want free internet access, flashing your IHG card and asking for the password is easier than confirming your membership by telling them to check your IHG membership number in the system against your ID. (This can get fairly complicated, especially where the visitor and hotel speak different languages)...
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold
I've used mine to scrape frost off the windshield of my car while on travel.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
It would also probably work as a substitute card in the odd 'insert room key in slot to turn the AC on' property I've seen in Europe.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 2:23 pm

I've used mine when United gave me a voucher with a gruff "Here's a Holiday Inn Express voucher, the shuttle is out at the curb." Basically, showing up as a walk-in.

Got a "Oh, you're Gold. We've put you in an 'Executive Suite' for no charge over the voucher"

Last edited by RandomNobody; Aug 5, 2014 at 3:50 pm
Old Aug 5, 2014, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by beachmouse
It would also probably work as a substitute card in the odd 'insert room key in slot to turn the AC on' property I've seen in Europe.
I'd imagine this is one of the most common ones although I've noticed that some of the newer systems (I think it may be the RFID ones but don't quote me on it) the slots reject everything except the room key card.

Just means the front desk has to make up two cards and I burn the AC all the more out of spite
Old Aug 6, 2014, 2:53 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
My IHG Gold card has got me into the Fast Track line at a couple of US airports - I just cover the IHG logo . Likewise, the card has been accepted as security when renting a bike or conference electronics. Seems Gold is more valuable (or convincing) than Platinum in these circumstances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.