Wiki Posts
Search

50% off promo for IHG UK/Europe bookings

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2014, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avios Hunter

IHG are running a promo in association with british swimming (?), which is providing "up to" 50% off standard rates. IHG appears to be happy that anyone just needs to be a "fan" of british swimming to qualify, so basically anyone.

I did a couple of test bookings a while back and found that the Holiday Inn Mayfair was giving 42% off its standard rates.

Also the promo gives a list of participating hotels, but it isn't exhaustive. I found that the IC Le Grand, Paris, isn't on the list, but gave a 38% saving.

I posted the info on my blog some weeks ago, but failed to give a heads up here. The following is a link to my blog posting, which details the ihg promo link and also gives details of the website from which you can print of the required voucher.

http://www.goingonrewards.com/2014/0...efinitely.html

Last edited by tangey; Jul 11, 2014 at 7:11 am Reason: Clarifying that the above link is to my blog posting, not directly to IHG
Old Jul 10, 2014, 4:10 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
I wonder if it is qualifying rate.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Won't qualify for points unless you get really really lucky.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: IHG Plat; CC Gold
Interestingly, the T&C's do not exclude the potential to gain points (in the past it usually has). However, this does not mean they will give points.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Amyrlin
Interestingly, the T&C's do not exclude the potential to gain points (in the past it usually has). However, this does not mean they will give points.
Yes I read the Terms too, but when you dummy book it shows as no points also.
Although that does not me that it would qualify.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
We are almost at Fri 18th July with 3 day book ahead for that of say 14th July. Need someone with a 1nighter or 3nighter that weekend to post the outcome on whether qual nights (and points) are awarded.

I am more interested in qual nights not points, as I need to now start some nights that will count for my 2014-2015 RA year renewal. I don't want to book any number of nights as non-cancelable if o qual nights and as others noted, t+c's do not say not a qualifying rate, but it could fall foul of general terms, more than 35% off a rate is non-qual rate.

I may even book a 1night Friday 18th M/Run just to test it out if I can get a very cheap local hotel, trouble is even half flex rate Amsterdam hotels are not that cheap, especially in these summer months. Else I am sure another FTer can post an outcome about weekend of 18th July on this offer.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 2:37 am

Ill have a go with a holiday inn local smd let you all know, ive got same mind set regarding qual nights. Found a local holiday inn for £45.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 4:48 am

Programs: IC Spire Amb, Hilton, Marriott, BA, VA.
Thanks to the OP for the heads-up on this - I snagged a night at a CP just outside London in Aug for a great rate.

But to confirm what others suspect; reservation is showing as 0 points to be earned (unknown on quali nights). Suppose there's always a chance it might tag some points along after the stay, but I'm not banking on it as I think that's unlikely. But very happy nevertheless! ^
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by AMDB7
Thanks to the OP for the heads-up on this - I snagged a night at a CP just outside London in Aug for a great rate.
In response to a comment on the blog, I checked some dates for the IC le Grand Paris. Although the cheap rooms are not showing for Aug 29th, you can get a club room for €267.50 which is exactly 50% off the best available rate.

In fact the promo gets you into a club room for €60 cheaper that the standard non-refundable rate for a classic room on the night in question. One assumes status is fully honoured, so anyone with AMB/RA is likely to get something higher again.

Not bad for a hotel that isn't supposed to be part of the promotion.

Last edited by tangey; Jul 14, 2014 at 11:34 am
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: IC Ambassador, IHG Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Miles & More FT
I booked IC Dusseldorf for 119€/night beginning of September using this promo and is exactly 50% off Best Flex Rate. My reservation says 0 points to be earned. But as this rate is non-refundable should be compared with non refundable regular rate that is 167€ for the same dates? That is 30% and not 35% less than regular rate! My understanding of T&C is that should be honored with points?!
Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by doktor24
I booked IC Dusseldorf for 119€/night beginning of September using this promo and is exactly 50% off Best Flex Rate. My reservation says 0 points to be earned. But as this rate is non-refundable should be compared with non refundable regular rate that is 167€ for the same dates? That is 30% and not 35% less than regular rate! My understanding of T&C is that should be honored with points?!
In fairness to IHG this promo is very clearly labelled as "50% off standard best flex rates" so I don't think you have reasonable grounds for expecting it to be 50% off advance purchase or the like. And it's also quite clear that it's a non-point-earning promo.

Might be a good idea to look again at the link in the first post to familiarise yourself with the promo terms.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Club Carlson & Hilton HHonors Gold, Sixt Platinum
I called them about this offer and they told me I wouldn't get any points for it.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
And it's also quite clear that it's a non-point-earning promo.
Do you want to explain why you feel it is clear that it is doesn't earn points?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Do you want to explain why you feel it is clear that it is doesn't earn points?
You are quite right, and apologies for my bad. It certainly is not "quite clear", but I do think it's a safe bet.

The promo link in the first post states that it is likely that no points will be awarded, but if you follow the link through to IHG it doesn't mention the points situation. However, I - and others - have made bookings already under this promo and reported back on this thread that it is showing as zero points earnings under the reservation.

So whilst not concrete, I think it's fair to say that you shouldn't be expecting points under this promo. But on that basis I retract "quite clear" and replace it with "quite likely". Think that covers it!
Old Jul 21, 2014, 6:47 pm

I - and others - have made bookings already under this promo and reported back on this thread that it is showing as zero points earnings under the reservation.

Might be of zero relevance to this situation but whenever I book 2 for 1 nights in Australia using Priority Privilege certificates or monthly offers the reservation site always says zero points will be earned but I have always (in more than 30 reservations) had points credit as per regular reservations. So the reservation system statement cannot always be relied upon to be accurate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.