Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

IHG Account Terminated (after registering for several promotion codes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: soitgoes
IHG Account Termination Fact Summary

1) IHG has been terminating accounts due to abuse since approximately 2010 (#244).

2) IHG account terminations happen suddenly and without warning. If your account is terminated, you will not be able to login. You will have to call customer service, who will either reinstate your account and warn you, or refer your case to another office, in which case your account is probably permamently closed.

3) No one except for IHG knows exactly what the trigger for account cancellation is. The reason given is usually excessive use of promo codes. In the past, it was thought that most of the people who got their accounts canceled was due to either selling points or excessive point break bookings, but it appears that mere registration of promo codes now can sometimes trigger a cancellation.

Who has gotten their account terminated?

(If you, or someone you know has got their account terminated, please list your username here, and reference the post you made on this thread).

bgmike (#1)
lcpteck (#5)
DavidAL - father - (#85)
Dolphinyong - friend - (#155)
Bakkie (#180)
Tim O'Brien (#187) reinstated
chongcao - good summary, esp. of events from flyertea forum (#244)
soitgoes (#262) deactivated temporarily; reactivated after phone call
travelismylife - brother inlaw - (#329)

Also, LoyaltyLobby has a number of data points in the comment thread.

FlyerTea (a Chinese site) also has a number of data points.

What do we know about terminations

1) The usual reason IHG gives is non-targeted promo code usage. We don't know which promo codes IHG considers invalid, although IHG told Bakke (#180), that he used a code that was supposed to be for platinum members when he was not.

2) Status does not matter. Gold members, Platinum members, even RAs have all had their account terminated.

3) Credit card does not matter. Some people terminated did not have the IHG Chase card, some did, for more than 3 years (#329).

4) Stay history does not matter. Some people had their accounts terminated before any stay, some had their accounts terminated after one stay that accrued many points, and some had a history of lot of paid stays.

5) Termination usually doesn't cause a loss of booked nights. Apparently, even though your points are gone, any nights reserved stay booked in the system.

6) Some account terminations are caused by calling customer service on incorrectly credited nights. A number of people who had their accounts terminated called in on a stay that posted as non-qualifying, only to have their account cancelled shortly thereafter.

IHG Terms and Conditions downloadable PDF, including:

4. Membership Cancellation. SCH reserves the right to cancel any IHG®Rewards Club membership and revoke any and all unredeemed IHG® Rewards Club points collected by any member for reasons that include, but are not limited to: 1) violation of these Terms and Conditions; 2) misrepresentation of any information or any misuse of this Program; 3) violation of any national, state or local law or regulation in connection with the use of membership privileges; 4) failure to pay for hotel charges; 5) a check to a participating hotel brand that is returned for insufficient funds or is invalid for any reason; 6) commission of fraud or abuse involving any portion of this Program; 7) more than one active account per member; or 8) physical, verbal, or written abuse of hotel or IHG personnel; or 9) action, in any other way, to the detriment of the Program or any of its alliances; all as may be determined by SCH in its sole discretion.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
hey i received this email today from National Car Rental loyalty program, IHG here is lesson 101 in communicating with your customers when you want to change the rules halfway through the game.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

REGARDING YOUR EMERALD CLUB MEMBERSHIP

Dear Emerald Club Member,

Thank you so much for your business. We wanted to inform you that we are making some changes to the terms and conditions you agreed to when you joined Emerald Club®. For additional information regarding the changes to the terms and conditions, please see the FAQs posted on the website.

The good news is the benefits you receive from your Emerald Club membership are not changing. Your membership level and how you achieve membership tier status will stay the same. You will keep all of your rental credits, and the way you earn credits and redeem free days remains unchanged. Furthermore, Emerald Club services, such as counter bypass and Aisle access, remain the same.

The updated terms and conditions can be found here for your review.

You do not need to take any action to accept the new terms and conditions. Under the terms of the current agreement, the changes are applicable to all Emerald Club rentals on or after January 1, 2015. However, if after reviewing the updated terms and conditions you do not wish to accept them, you can cancel your membership by contacting us at Member Services, 8421 St. John Industrial Way, St. Louis, MO 63144, or by calling 1-800-962-7070, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. Eastern time.

Thank you for your business. We look forward to serving your future rental needs.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien
hey UK1, but i like the fact that we're reminding ourselves and others to be vigilant, and concerned about IHG's management practices, they certainly cannot be trusted, and that uncertainty about a company's program is not good for shareholders, nor its customers.

they made a hell of a mess from a situation that could have been so simple to address. at least the nonsense poster, your nemesis, has seemingly slipped off the radar, thankfully.
Apart from those very few who were caught out, who have been vociferous here, I'd say it's a massive overstatement to call it a "hell of a mess". Sure IHG could have handled the comms better but it doesn't really matter. They eliminated the customers they didn't want for whatever reason. Any shareholder would be happy with the end result. A tiny minority of abusers gone, in the midst of several million (?guessing) "normal" members is not an issue, and the program is better for their absence.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:39 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
If IHG really want to stop or warning for enter promo code they can do with a big banner warning or pop up warning in promo code page.
If i'm IHG Shareholder i would not happy with this situation,Bad news spread faster than Good news.
If i'm Marriott Hilton Starwood Accor Shareholder i will very happy with this situation and thank you for Michel lawyer and other that defend for IHG and send many customer to another hotel chain.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 2:44 am

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by nongsom
If IHG really want to stop or warning for enter promo code they can do with a big banner warning or pop up warning in promo code page.
If i'm IHG Shareholder i would not happy with this situation,Bad news spread faster than Good news.
If i'm Marriott Hilton Starwood Accor Shareholder i will very happy with this situation and thank you for Michel lawyer and other that defend for IHG and send many customer to another hotel chain.
Yes, Lawyer should be sacked, from a IHG Shareholder perspective^
Old Dec 31, 2014, 3:47 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

This is a notficiation, that we have deleted post which are merely personal and also posts quoting the deleted ones.

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by Often1
You tried to defraud them, so they fired you as a customer. Now, you want back in?

I would start off with a new program at another chain, carefully read the t&c and stay within them.

What happened to OP is more and more common and less & less tolerated.
I haven't read through this thread to see if this was pointed out already but when one signed up with these codes on IHG's website, There was a drop down list that asked where one had heard about the promo. One I remember specifically was "From a friend" and another was "Other". I don't know if they still say that but there was no warning whatsoever that you could lose your account if you signed up for something they didn't want you too. Also, some codes would result in a "You are not eligible for this promotion".

So, there was absolutely no fraud going on when their site specifically allowed one to sign up for these offers whether they were sent via email, heard about it from a friend or just plain other, which is EVERYTHING else not in their drop down list.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:14 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by yohanson
I haven't read through this thread to see if this was pointed out already but when one signed up with these codes on IHG's website, There was a drop down list that asked where one had heard about the promo. One I remember specifically was "From a friend" and another was "Other". I don't know if they still say that but there was no warning whatsoever that you could lose your account if you signed up for something they didn't want you too. Also, some codes would result in a "You are not eligible for this promotion".

So, there was absolutely no fraud going on when their site specifically allowed one to sign up for these offers whether they were sent via email, heard about it from a friend or just plain other, which is EVERYTHING else not in their drop down list.
If you haven't read through the thread, might I respectfully ask why you are commenting on a thread without traction in two months?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
If you haven't read through the thread, might I respectfully ask why you are commenting on a thread without traction in two months?
It was recently linked to. I followed the link.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:44 am

If IHG does not want the customers, there are excellent chains who will have them.

I think at the end of the day, IHG has made their decision and its up to the affected members to insist on what they think is right and argue with IHG or simply move to another chain who is very happy to have them. Less hassle with the latter.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:10 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle

Spot on. And they were posting codes themselves...

The whole thing gives a pretty accurate picture of the quality of the management at IHG; hence what one should expect from their stock price against their competitors.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:56 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum

Considering this thread went on a 3-month hiatus, I am guessing the customers that IHG wanted to cull have been culled.

In the scheme of things it doesn't sound like a lot of account terminations, and hopefully this is behind us for the IHG customers that don't abuse the system.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by whimike
Considering this thread went on a 3-month hiatus, I am guessing the customers that IHG wanted to cull have been culled.

In the scheme of things it doesn't sound like a lot of account terminations, and hopefully this is behind us for the IHG customers that don't abuse the system.
I had 3 day stays in the past that would net me over 25K points. Another frequent travel buddy of mine turned me onto priorityclubinsider.com and I really started racking up the points. I also made Platinum the hard way back in those days before he filled me in. I don't consider it abuse whatsoever. It was poor IT on their part. It was an all you can eat buffet, according to their rules, on THEIR website!

The most egregious part of this whole saga was that they lashed out at their customers for their own incompetence. There was absolutely nothing on their website that said registering for promotions was abuse. In fact, it said nothing of the sort. If anything, it appeared to be encouraged that members sign up for every promotion that they could. You didn't get those points unless you later stayed with them. And, it was at least 2, maybe 3 years ago that they came after the guy who runs the aforementioned website to shut him down. Why didn't they post something on that page of their website then?

BTW, I'm still Platinum and they have never said boo to me. I stay in hotel between 110-130 nights/year and I was a member of PC over 20 years ago. IHG doesn't get the majority of my business any more either.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:53 am

I should also point out that every single PC/IHG point I ever used was used to redeem a free night at a PC/IHG hotel. My buddy used to use them to buy gas and other stuff. I used them on my VRs overseas or dive trips to Florida.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I had 3 day stays in the past that would net me over 25K points. Another frequent travel buddy of mine turned me onto priorityclubinsider.com and I really started racking up the points. I also made Platinum the hard way back in those days before he filled me in. I don't consider it abuse whatsoever. It was poor IT on their part. It was an all you can eat buffet, according to their rules, on THEIR website!

The most egregious part of this whole saga was that they lashed out at their customers for their own incompetence. There was absolutely nothing on their website that said registering for promotions was abuse. In fact, it said nothing of the sort. If anything, it appeared to be encouraged that members sign up for every promotion that they could. You didn't get those points unless you later stayed with them. And, it was at least 2, maybe 3 years ago that they came after the guy who runs the aforementioned website to shut him down. Why didn't they post something on that page of their website then?

BTW, I'm still Platinum and they have never said boo to me. I stay in hotel between 110-130 nights/year and I was a member of PC over 20 years ago. IHG doesn't get the majority of my business any more either.
Well I wonder how many customers IHG lost for life?
Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:34 am
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond
My husband account was terminated and I’m not very happy about it. We’ve been quite loyal to IHG for a long time and I’ve held platinum status for several years. I did do the promo code stacking quite a bit with codes I found online. I never saw anything in the term and conditions against this.

In the 4th quarter last year my husband signed up for IHG because he had 2 planned business trips at IHG properties. When he did this I signed him up for the 4th quarter promo, for which he would actually have gotten a free night after completing 2 stays. I also signed him up for a bunch of promo codes online. I never saw this thread before than so I didn’t know they were terminating accounts for this.

They froze his account right before his 1st stay. He called and they had no explanation for this. They said they would get back to him about it. Before the second stay he still never heard back from them and the account was still frozen. He called again and they still had no explanation. They again told him they would get back to him, but this time he told them that was unacceptable because he call already called and not been responded too. He wanted to know if he would receive credit for the stays. It’s not really fair to keep one hanging like that. He could have chosen to go to another hotel chain for which he would receive points. They again refused to answer and promised to call him back on the subject. We never heard back from them. This was last year. I’m pretty unhappy with the way this was handled.

We haven’t really had time to look into the matter until now. Any suggestion on who I can contact to try to get the matter solved would be much appreciated. He stayed at IHG for two separate weeks, which is a considerable amount of points, and as I said, he should have gotten an extra free night for the Q4 promo.Has anyone had any luck dealing with a similar situation?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.