Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Holiday Inn Montego Bay Sunspree

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2014, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Holiday Inn Montego Bay Sunspree

I dont see anything recent on here about this resort. Does anyone have any recent experiences to share?

Thanks
Old May 30, 2014, 10:19 pm

I was just reading the trip report from that safety inspector guy from 2005 I think it was. Hilarious! Hope they have improved since then.

I would also be interested in recent experiences, esp for Plat Elites, and tips on the other two IHG all inclusives bookable with points.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:54 pm

Bump. Any experiences?

Would this be a good place to use the IHG free night from the CC?
Old Nov 6, 2014, 12:48 pm

I don't think you would be able to use the free night voucher as this is an all-inclusive property. I've never tried, but the terms specifically restrict all inclusive properties.

I have stayed and it's a good all-inclusive value resort for families. The alcohol is not top-shelf and the whole resort is a little dirty in the corners, but overall a fun time with young kids. We went as a family of four and upgraded to the one bedroom suite. The regular rooms are just that, regular. I have seen it available for 30,000 points per night which is a good deal since it is all-inclusive and the kids would accompany for free.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
Originally Posted by DCGinNH
I've never tried, but the terms specifically restrict all inclusive properties.
Huh? Where's that? Then why is available online for 35,000 points?
Old Nov 6, 2014, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by travelisfree
Huh? Where's that? Then why is available online for 35,000 points?
Your blog is cool. Thanks for it! We booked a Panama/Jamaica trip with your help.

Anyways, I successfully booked the Sunspree with my Chase Free Night, so it's definitely bookable!
Old Nov 6, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
Originally Posted by waygora
Your blog is cool. Thanks for it! We booked a Panama/Jamaica trip with your help.

Anyways, I successfully booked the Sunspree with my Chase Free Night, so it's definitely bookable!
Awesome. Thanks.

Yea, don't know he/she is saying it's not bookable but curious how the property is. Make sure you report back and let us know how it goes, being an all inclusive on points.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by travelisfree
Awesome. Thanks.

Yea, don't know he/she is saying it's not bookable but curious how the property is. Make sure you report back and let us know how it goes, being an all inclusive on points.
Yep definitely!
Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by waygora
Yep definitely!
Have you completed your stay? If so, please update - we're thinking of booking there with points within the next year and want to know if it's "worth it". Obviously that's subjective, but the photos etc seem a bit outdated compared to other all-inclusives.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by ghenne04
Have you completed your stay? If so, please update - we're thinking of booking there with points within the next year and want to know if it's "worth it". Obviously that's subjective, but the photos etc seem a bit outdated compared to other all-inclusives.
We actually ended up going with the Hyatt Zilara, so I can't help .

Sorry . Zilara was awesome though!
Old Mar 24, 2016, 8:04 am

Location: KLM GD, DL PM, AA LT Plt, Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Interconti Amb/PC Spire, etc.
Since it's been a while since anyone posted an update on the property, I'd like to share our very recent experience.

Just returned from a week-long stay on points. As a Spire we were upgraded from a standard room booked on points to a 1 bedroom suite. The resort is being renovated and we rec'd a brand new suite, complete with an extra large Jacuzzi, a shower with jet sprays, ocean front view, etc. Could have easily been a suite at most 4.5* hotels. We also got access to the newly built adult-only club lounge in building 7, which was a great add-on. While the kids were in the kids club or the beach, we were happy to get away from it all and have a quiet sit-down lunch without the commotion. Staff at the club lounge was exceptional.

Two families which traveled with us and for which I paid were upgraded as well but to junior suites. Their rooms were very spacious and well furnished, their only complaint was their small and outdated washrooms which apparently weren't renovated along with the rooms.

Contrary to earlier reports, the resort was spotless - and that includes the rooms, the beach area and the public areas. With very few exceptions, staff was exceptionally accommodating and friendly. As reported on other sites, the buffet could use a serious upgrade and was underwhelming in variety and quality. Two of the ala-carte restaurants were very good, and we would happily visit those at any 4.5* or even 5* resort (Italian & Japanese). If you try the seafood restaurant be sure to order from the menu requiring add'l payment which was way better than the standard menu.

We had 7 kids in the party, and all of them had a great time. This is our second visit to the resort in two years, and we will be back. Don't expect a 5* resort, but for the price paid (especially the points, but even for paid stays) and for families with young kids this resort is an exceptional value. And if you do have top status with IHG and if you liaise with their staff, you can probably expect to get a 4-4.5* vacation at 3* prices, and with great staff to take care of you.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 6:31 pm

just returned from a 5 day trip from the hotel. here are what my thoughts:
1. food -- expect what you would get in a $15 per person restaurant in US. nothing fancy but passable; Jerk pork and chicken is very good. Drink is quite watered down.
2. beach / sea -- not bad at all, the small island makes it a very good choice for small kids
3. room -- we paid with point under a 50% off promotion, so it is only 17.5k per night. This I guess translates to $80~$90 per night. With that in mind the room is not bad, we got upgraded to a "suite" which is nothing special but with a sofa and is a bit larger. Very old and tired w/ crazily noisy air conditioner, but given the money we paid, can not complain much.
4. service -- usually quite good but a tip is clearly hoped
bottom line -- a good deal if you pay under $100 per night. For the $200 they usually charge, there would be much better options
Old Jun 11, 2016, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Glad to hear it's being renovated. We've stayed a few times for a quick cheap get away. As said, it's been nothing fancy but not too many negatives. Kids love it and the private island.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.