Wiki Posts
Search

Elite Status and perks, IHG is way behind on this

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2014, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Elite Status and perks, IHG is way behind on this

How many of you think that Plat status with IHG is really a waste of time and effort? After a few stays and HI's over the past few months, I haven't gotten any perks with status (no upgrades, goodie bags, etc). IMO only thing IHG has going for them is that they are located all over the place.

I thought a new perks policy was in place??

I think IHG needs to get their stuff together in this regard.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
How many of you think that Plat status with IHG is really a waste of time and effort? After a few stays and HI's over the past few months, I haven't gotten any perks with status (no upgrades, goodie bags, etc). IMO only thing IHG has going for them is that they are located all over the place.

I thought a new perks policy was in place??

I think IHG needs to get their stuff together in this regard.

This topic gets continuously raised a new every month or two. A whole bunch of us are consistantly (99% of the time) upgraded virtually every stay. And on our award nights too. I don't even ask before or at checkin as upgrades are always volunteered by the hotels.

Your info does not give home city/country. Maybe you are in USA with CC Plats galore. In Europe and Asia platinums are treated well.

Some of us don't have any issues with room upgrades. In 300+ stays in Europe in last 4 years I have consistantly been given room upgrades at UK HI and CP brands, many places in UK, and in Europe too, Berlin, Brussels, Bucharest, including my award nights where upgrade is not a right.
(And a load were before I changed my CP nights to IC's and joined ambassador program, so is nothing to do with my RA status the last 2years plus)

Just HIE's with only one room type can't upgrade me, and the one HI stay who apologised as I booked late and it was full and I was comped breakfast instead of room upgrade
Old Apr 28, 2014, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Just HIE's with only one room type can't upgrade me, and the one HI stay who apologised as I booked late and it was full and I was comped breakfast instead of room upgrade
Funny you should mention this, I was going to post when I got home from work this evening. I stayed at HIE Glenrothes, Scotland last night and was surprised when checking in to be told that my room had been upgraded to a super king.

The hotel has recently been refurbished and I must say the new HIE design looks really good with the darker wood furniture and sure enough there it was - a super king bed. More than twice the size of the regular HIE beds.

Hopefully its not a one off and this is the future of UK HIEs.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I have been upgraded on my last few stays, as well as receiving the elite "welcome" points, in place of a goody bag.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I have been upgraded on my last few stays, as well as receiving the elite "welcome" points, in place of a goody bag.
Maybe I have been unlucky then? Yes my stays have been at US properties.
Guess I will have to 'ask' on my next stay, hate doing that would rather be humble.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Guess I will have to 'ask' on my next stay, hate doing that would rather be humble.
I almost always get upgraded without asking (all US properties). The biggest problem right now is the welcome points. Some hotels know about it instantly, some you have to remind, others don't have a clue. There is no consistency (or maybe attention to detail) at IHG. Marriott, every hotel knows the policies.

At the Holiday Inn LAX yesterday, where I completed my Big Win, the clerk thanked me for being a Gold Elite. I said "Platinum"...she didn't ask for proof but I always carry my card...and considering I have over 400 EQN's on my account right now, I hope I am Platinum. She said her computer said Gold but she said she would correct it...gave me an upgrade...plus offered the 500 points. Never once at any Marriott as anyone told me my status was listed incorrectly on their computer screen.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 1:41 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Club Spire Elite, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by chrism20
Funny you should mention this, I was going to post when I got home from work this evening. I stayed at HIE Glenrothes, Scotland last night and was surprised when checking in to be told that my room had been upgraded to a super king.

The hotel has recently been refurbished and I must say the new HIE design looks really good with the darker wood furniture and sure enough there it was - a super king bed. More than twice the size of the regular HIE beds.

Hopefully its not a one off and this is the future of UK HIEs.
It's not a one-off but I don't think there are many UK HIEs with premium rooms like this although many (but not all!) try to put Platinums in "better" rooms by location within the building etc.

The only other ones I know of myself with premium rooms are Burnley and Poole where they've both refurbished some rooms, charge a modest premium for them, and do upgrade Platinums to the refurbished rooms when they can. Neither had super-king beds though so perhaps Glenrothes is a one-off for a UK HIE in that respect. Hope they don't fall foul of "Brand Standards" with those like Preston South did with their additional breakfast items....!!
Old Apr 29, 2014, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I have been assertive in asking about the new welcome points at check-in, when they haven't brought it up. I'm very shy about asking about upgrades generally, but have asked for one King instead of two Queens when I've booked the latter (as a sort of upgrade hint). You must've had a bad run of luck as all of my 2014 properties have mentioned an upgrade at check-in.

My biggest beef this year was the Holiday Inn that provided breakfast a la HIX for guests, but I didn't find out about it until after I had bought breakfast nearby!
Old May 3, 2014, 10:25 pm

Programs: Southwest
I requested an upgrade recently at check in at HIE, and they seemed to have no idea what I was talking about, despite noting that I was Plat Elite. He said I already paid for the room, so I'd just have to go with that one. Very strange. Is it typical that employees aren't aware of the policies? I wasn't expecting the upgrade, but was expecting him to know what I was referring to.
Old May 3, 2014, 10:58 pm

You won't get upgrades at HIE, all rooms are the same.
Old May 3, 2014, 11:41 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Club Spire Elite, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by George8052
Not true for all HIE hotels - see earlier posts for a few examples of UK properties with multiple room grades.
Old May 4, 2014, 12:05 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I've been upgraded at two different HIE's to rooms with whirlpools.
Old May 4, 2014, 5:11 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Most of the newer HIX in the US have standard rooms and bigger rooms with an additional sofa.

I also had to "fight" for an upgrade at some property some years back. They reluctantly gave it to me...

HTB.
Old May 4, 2014, 5:36 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
"You won't get upgrades at HIE, all rooms are the same"

Not true--depends which country you are talking about. I have received Jacuzzi rooms with fireplace, 2 room suites etc.

Status does provide some limited benefits but I won't go out of my way to get it. I get it because ICH are some of the only good/good value chain properties where I travel.
Old May 4, 2014, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
My only real quibble with IHG Rewards is the poor quality of internet connection provided for free at many properties.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.