Program suggestion? 50+ nights in 3 months

Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Program suggestion? 50+ nights in 3 months

Folks - I'm not sure if I'll get the contract, but I just issued a proposal that has me staying 50 or so nights in the next three months in a particular city (Cairo.)

I have traditionally liked IHG because I'm not a luxury traveler - I'm self employed, and I like clean, safe, reliably consistent rooms with decent wifi. The breakfast is nice. I know - I'm hardly a target customer for Hermes.

I've got Gold Status with both SPG and Marriott due to United/Amex status.

My priority isn't 'necessarily' upgrades, but I would like to earn some free nights in decent properties for trips when I'm on my own dime. The expedited checkin is nice, too. My travel patterns are fairly international.

Is IHG the right program for me, or should I look at SPG / Hilton / Marriott? At the moment I'm rather agnostic.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Well if you stay at the InterContinental then you will most likely get a Royal Ambassador status by next year. You should register for Ambassador soon.

If you register for Ambassador you'll get a BOGO for a weekend and at least 1 level upgrade for the hotel you book. Free WiFi that alone is worth it, since they tend to charge an arm and a leg for WiFi.

Check here...
http://www.ihg.com/intercontinental/.../en/ambassador
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BRAISKI
Well if you stay at the InterContinental then you will most likely get a Royal Ambassador status by next year. You should register for Ambassador soon.

If you register for Ambassador you'll get a BOGO for a weekend and at least 1 level upgrade for the hotel you book. Free WiFi that alone is worth it, since they tend to charge an arm and a leg for WiFi.

Check here...
http://www.ihg.com/intercontinental/.../en/ambassador
That is not good advice as he/she wants to earmn points to get some free nights. A 50night IC stay in Egypt will earn fixed rate 2K points, not even half way to a pointbreak.

Even if buys Gold Ambassador for $200 at checkin, for room upgrade, thats good value, upgrade for $4/night , Op still earns a paltry 2K points, plus accelerator bonus until 30th April so anoyther 20K for 22K in all.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Originally Posted by scubaccr
That is not good advice as he/she wants to earmn points to get some free nights. A 50night IC stay in Egypt will earn fixed rate 2K points, not even half way to a pointbreak.

Even if buys Gold Ambassador for $200 at checkin, for room upgrade, thats good value, upgrade for $4/night , Op still earns a paltry 2K points, plus accelerator bonus until 30th April so anoyther 20K for 22K in all.
Oh I forgot about the 2k per stay

This was terrible when I stayed @ IC Guadalajara for 3 weeks and IC Budapest for 1 week.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Boogie711
Folks - I'm not sure if I'll get the contract, but I just issued a proposal that has me staying 50 or so nights in the next three months in a particular city (Cairo.)

I have traditionally liked IHG because I'm not a luxury traveler - I'm self employed, and I like clean, safe, reliably consistent rooms with decent wifi. The breakfast is nice. I know - I'm hardly a target customer for Hermes.

My priority isn't 'necessarily' upgrades, but I would like to earn some free nights in decent properties for trips when I'm on my own dime. The expedited checkin is nice, too. My travel patterns are fairly international.

Is IHG the right program for me, or should I look at SPG / Hilton / Marriott? At the moment I'm rather agnostic.
1)Avoid INTERCONTINETAL brand, earns fixed 2,000 poiints per stay right now, although expected to change to 10pts/$ from July2014
IC Semiramis is by the Nile and Museum at $120++
IC Citystars is complex including a HI and Staybridge with a mall and nearer the airport at at $150++
2)Holiday Inn CityStars earns 10pts/$ (excluding taxes ) at $120++
3)Staybridge CityStars earns 5pts/$ (excluding taxes ) at $160++

As such to maximise IHG points earning in Cairo you have only one option, the Holiday Inn CityStars. If you have one stay continuously 90 nights (checkout/checkin makes no difference) then stay becomes non-qualifying and no points awarded. 50nights is OK though.

If you signup for IHG @Rewards basic card level , then since Jan2014, outside Europe, you get free Internet, although hotel can have a basic email speed and business for movies etc is extra.

IHG will status match if you email your account page screen shot (or hotel elite card) as a once-in-a-kifetime match. Matching now will be until 31Dec2014 .
IHG Gold is 10% points bonus
IHG Platinum is a 50% points bonus

There are also promo codes. mostly one-off codes , stackable that could earn you 25-30K extra on your stay, whether stay is one night or many nights.

IHG Reward Club still continues to match to their Gold and Platinum status from the programs below:-
Best Western Rewards
Hilton HHonors
Hyatt Gold Passport
Marriott Rewards
SPG

see status-match piece/info link
http://loyaltylobby.com/2013/09/15/i...r-2013-update/

AND ... If you decided to forgo points and stay at the IC brand you could
a)buy Amnassador for $200 for guaranteed 1-level upgrade (so %4 day)
b)buy on ebay for $800 up, a Royal Ambassador Referral. (you either have to be normal Ambassador first or pay $200 when using RA referral). Remember $800/50nights = $16/night and free minibar , 2 beers a night is more than that.
RA status gets you
o Better upgrades to a)club room + lounge OR Exec Room OR Suite
o Free minibar consumption
o Early checkin 8am, late checkout 4pm
and lots more bennies too

IC points is due to change !
o Currently outside Americas/Carribean is flat rate 2000points/stay
++
A bonus of 20k every 15nights at IC (Ambasador accelerator)
o Ambassador Accelerator was extended from 31Dec to 30th April, we are fully expecting IHG to change IC's worldwide to 10points/$ (my contacts say from July 1st though)
As an RA (which is Platinum by default) you would then earn a massive 20points/$ at IC brand
(10pts/$, ++ 50% Platinum bonus ++ 50% RA bonus = 20pts/$ )

Summary of Earnings by Hotel brand by Elite status
=========================================
NON-IC's
Holiday Inn at $120++ => 1200 points per night (1800 if platinum stayus)
Staybridge at $160++ => 800 points per night ( 900 if platinum status)

Intercontinenal on Fixed points per Stay at present
NO Ambassador status => Fixed 2000points/stay (3000 if Platinum))

GOLD Ambassador signed to ambassador accelerator promo
=> 1333 points per night (+ 2000 fixed points )

PLATINUM Ambassador signed to ambassador accelerator promo
=> 1333 points per night (+ 2000 fixed points + 1000 bonus )

ROYAL Ambassador signed to ambassador accelerator promo
=> 1333 points per night (+ 2000 fixed points + 2000 bonus )

Intercontinental if 10points/$ (like Americas/Carribeam) .. Maybe starting July2014
(Expect Ambassador Accelerator to be discontinued at thar time)
GOLD Ambassador => 10points/$
PLAT Ambassador => 15points/$ (includes 50% Plat bonus)
ROYAL Ambassador => 20points/$ (includes 50% Plat bonus, 50% RA Bonus)

Last edited by scubaccr; Mar 26, 2014 at 12:54 pm
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
... we are fully expecting IHG to change IC's worldwide to 10points/$ (my contacts say from July 1st though)
As an RA (which is Platinum by default) you would then earn a massive 20points/$ at IC brand
(10pts/$, ++ 50% Platinum bonus ++ 50% RA bonus = 20pts/$ )
Boy would I love this!
Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

This is good intel... I'm looking at 5 stays of approximately 10 nights each, by the way.

Thanks ScubaCCR (although I'm more of an open-circuit guy myself. )

I guess it still begs the question - is IHG the right program for me or should I focus on one of the other chains? Off to do yet more research...
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:41 am

This is good intel... I'm looking at 5 stays of approximately 10 nights each, by the way.

Thanks ScubaCCR (although I'm more of an open-circuit guy myself. )

I guess it still begs the question - is IHG the right program for me or should I focus on one of the other chains? Off to do yet more research...
Don't forget, it is not just a question of ease of earning hotel chain points, it is the ratio of points earning to points redeeming too. I would say IHG is better thab Hilton right now, but i don't really participate much out side of IHG/Hilton loyaltyschemes.

If your stays go out like 5x 10night stays, in Cairo i would buy Ambassador for $200, optionally buy RA referral on ebay ($800) and then register for Ambassador Accelerator Promo bonus equivalent to 1333points/night which pays out 20k points every.

By registering as Ambassador before staying , IC stays will then couint towards RA status earning/renewal, although you will need to stay in 3 different IC's to qualify. You can try both Cairo IC's, so in effect just one night at a third IC would be needed.

To qualify/renew as RA you currently need (although it is unpublished and secret) 60+ at IHG brands, too include 30nights at IC's, 3 different IC's.

With 50nights as RA you'd get the money spent (on Ambassadr/RA ) back on free mini-bar usage, let alone only RA status earns suite upgrades, and often free club lounge access with breakfast, evening food items, alcohol in lounge.

If you are staying post July as RA and my contacts are correct, then as RA you'd also earn 20pts/$ too at an IC, but 15pts/$ at the HI if Platinum though with no IHG status you earn 10pts/$, hence you need status match to IHG platinum before you stay.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:41 am

What dates/months,if any u have in mind,could u be staying for in Cairo ?
Many egypt hotels are going real cheap right now,because of the turbulence there.Since u are travelling on your own dime,why not first try and look for the best deals available.There can be some real cheap rooms,in a nice enough hotel, u can get in Cairo for now.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
At Cairo, if you register for Ambassador program and stay some week-ends at ICs and other days at Holiday Inn City Star, you will get points AND most likely the Royal Ambassador status.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive

Absolutely. My priority is free nights as well, and you cannot beat the 10K points a night at some IHG properties. And much better redemption rates overall that other programs. Jumped ship from Hilton (which was the best before their devaluation) last year and I am not looking back. SPG has ridiculously bad redemption rate.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: PC, HHonours
With the number of nights, you'll nearly make Hilton Diamond which is sh*t hot compared to IHG Platinum, plus you have more choice with Hilton in Cairo than IHG

Downside with hilton is redemption is higher than IHG, but the hotels are generally better in UK/europe plus benefits of gold/diamond are way better.

If the price is right, I'd do Hilton. The massive points bonuses are gone at IHG and they don't compare well anymore, even with free wifi(crap speeds) and vouchers for plats. Unfortunately, IHG is more convenient for me at the moment and I had to give up diamond...very sad day!!

Fire off an email to CS, see if you can get a challenge to fast track, 50 nights is attractive to any hotel chain. I got diamond for 20 nights that way
Old Mar 29, 2014, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Kantab

Downside with hilton is redemption is higher than IHG, but the hotels are generally better in UK/europe plus benefits of gold/diamond are way better.
Are they really?
In major UK cities, most Crowne Plaza/Indigo hotels are recent and very good. Club access is most of the time given to Platinum members.

The downside with Hilton is that - even if things are slightly changing - they are very few number of properties in Europe (only an airport hotel in Madrid, just one hotel in central Paris which is a converted Concorde hotel, only one property in Lisbon which is a converted Fontana hotel, only one Hilton Garden property Rome in addition to W=A, etc.).
Old Mar 29, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
I am an IHG RA, but for this I would seriously consider SPG. Platinum with SPG is excellent with some great perks. With 50 nights you aren't going to make IHG RA.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whimike
I am an IHG RA, but for this I would seriously consider SPG. Platinum with SPG is excellent with some great perks. With 50 nights you aren't going to make IHG RA.
Can you elaborate on that?

My thought was that IHG makes sense because you can find a property ANYWHERE. I have client projects in Cairo, but also South Africa, the Philippines... I've always been able to find a Holiday Inn but I know Marriott is a near-bust in South Africa, for example.

And my priority isn't necessarily 'living the high life.' I want some free nights for the trips when I'm on my own dime, more than anything else, I think.

Last edited by Boogie711; Mar 31, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.