Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking IHG properties through 3rd party sites...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Booking IHG properties through 3rd party sites...

Hello everyone,

I'm curious to hear how people book their stays at IHG properties. Instead of booking directly through the hotel website, what are good sites to book on where you can double dip on points?

Personally I either use eBates.com where I get ~8% cash back, or use the online shopping portal through Best Buy where I can get points for their stores in addition to the IHG points I'll get.

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing different methods people use.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 6:40 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Ebates.com, MrRebates.com, ShopAtHome.com and others like them are NOT third party sites...they are cashback sites that link you directly into the IHG booking channels (so you get points).

Third party sites are Orbitz, Priceline, Expedia and the like and unless IHG slips up, you don't get points from these sites.

Ebates is 4.5% currently (not 8%). MrRebates & ShopAtHome are 5.0%. There are others but those are the ones I primarily use since I've had no problems with the stays posting or getting paid.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
I use UR portal for 3x UR points
Old Jan 25, 2014, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by CalItalian

Third party sites are Orbitz, Priceline, Expedia and the like and unless IHG slips up, you don't get points from these sites..
Where is it said in the IHG rules that booking via Expdia do not score points? Rooms can be booked via travel agents and Expedia certainly is an OTA. It is different for Priceline or rates that book into certain strange rate buckets (when you pay Expedia as a tour operator for prepaid rates), might be excluded, however, a plain hotel booking at BAR via Expedia scores points.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Where is it said in the IHG rules that booking via Expdia do not score points? Rooms can be booked via travel agents and Expedia certainly is an OTA. It is different for Priceline or rates that book into certain strange rate buckets (when you pay Expedia as a tour operator for prepaid rates), might be excluded, however, a plain hotel booking at BAR via Expedia scores points.
NO THEY DO NOT and don't confuse the OP.

Can I earn points when I book on third-party sites?
Most rates booked through most third party web sites, complimentary hotel stays and any other rates not defined as a Qualifying Room Rate are not eligible for points.

https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...are/faq/points

http://community.ihg.com/t5/IHG-Rewa...tes/td-p/23979

http://travel.bart.la/2013/10/03/ihg...fter-one-stay/

Last edited by CalItalian; Jan 25, 2014 at 9:15 pm
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
and don't confuse the OP.
]
OK, let's be clear here. I'm very knowledgeable about which sites earn points in conjunction with IHG points. I didn't start the thread to learn about technicalities. I simply am curious to hear what are people's preferred methods to book IHG properties other than at IHG.com.

I know there are some cool options out there, so I just wanted to hear what people have to say.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:56 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I usually use MyPoints- 5 points per dollar normally, and the occasional 15 points per dollar special. 5700 points is 2500 United miles.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beachmouse
I usually use MyPoints- 5 points per dollar normally, and the occasional 15 points per dollar special. 5700 points is 2500 United miles.
Interesting…I'll have to check that out. Thanks.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by emurray077
OK, let's be clear here. I'm very knowledgeable about which sites earn points in conjunction with IHG points. I didn't start the thread to learn about technicalities. I simply am curious to hear what are people's preferred methods to book IHG properties other than at IHG.com.

I know there are some cool options out there, so I just wanted to hear what people have to say.
Your title and what you think is a 3rd party site sure isn't "clear".
Old Jan 26, 2014, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NO THEY DO NOT and don't confuse the OP.

Can I earn points when I book on third-party sites?
Most rates booked through most third party web sites, complimentary hotel stays and any other rates not defined as a Qualifying Room Rate are not eligible for points.

https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...are/faq/points

http://community.ihg.com/t5/IHG-Rewa...tes/td-p/23979

http://travel.bart.la/2013/10/03/ihg...fter-one-stay/

A normal expedia or hrs.de or whatever general rate booked via an OTA qualifies. A Priceline, Expedia special or tour operator rates does not qualify. I kindly advise to learn the differences and do not shout or shoot at people who try to explain and help to understand (what shouting and referring to links does not assist in).
Old Jan 26, 2014, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emurray077

I book via expedia.de for certain cashback features and these rates qualify. I do however book BAR and not any expedia special rates.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 3:22 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Virgin Gold
Do any of these work for people in the UK?
Old Jan 26, 2014, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by snevillio
Do any of these work for people in the UK?
They used to have a good cashback rate via Quidco but they stopped it last year.
Sometimes I use Hotels.com via Quidco. 10% cashback and nights towards hotels.com's '10 nights 1 free' scheme. BUT I never get IHG points on those bookings.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
A normal expedia or hrs.de or whatever general rate booked via an OTA qualifies. A Priceline, Expedia special or tour operator rates does not qualify. I kindly advise to learn the differences and do not shout or shoot at people who try to explain and help to understand (what shouting and referring to links does not assist in).
I stand by my statement and the way I posted it. All you did was confuse people. You also don't seem to understand Priceline AT ALL. The links I posted explain what YOU did not. If there is anyone who needs to learn the differences, that sure is you.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stand by my statement and the way I posted it. All you did was confuse people. You also don't seem to understand Priceline AT ALL. The links I posted explain what YOU did not. If there is anyone who needs to learn the differences, that sure is you.
So stand by the erroneous statements you made and continue to confuse people. Some day you might understand the difference between expedia in its capacity as OTA and expedia in its capacity as tour operator. OTA rates qualify, tour operator rates don't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.