2014 Pointbreaks discussion

Old Jan 15, 2013, 3:25 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany
Original Poster

Fellow flyertalkers,

discuss and guess when we will see pointbreaks in 2014 as suggested by valdor in his post. A new thread seems better than to continue the old one.

Our goal is to keep this thread helpful and informative. Therefore I ask you to post in this thread only question related to point breaks such as (but not limited to):
  • practice
  • information about hotel appearing and disappearing on the list
  • booking (and maybe cancelation) questions
  • link to hotel reviews

If you have indication, when and if pointbreaks will be available, please give details for the source (e.g. was told (i.e. yestersday / on July 25th) by (the front desk / lounge agent / member of staf) of the (HIX City / a Holiday Inn in London) ...). I am fully aware that a reference to the source should / must be avoided, on the other hand, an indication is needed, that there was such a statement. It is a matter of trust and for us moderators difficult to differentiate between a joke post / rumor / trustd source.

Rumors, if the Point breaks are discontinued should only be posted, if you have a source for it and can name it (e.g. someone mentioned it in a hotel and you trust this source, etc.). Question, which hotels will be on the next point break list, could not really be answered. You might check the pointbreak hotel list thread about the history of CP and ICs on the pointbreak list.

All other discussions are not very helpful for person, who are new to this forum and do not know how to understand this discussion. I therefore aks you to post this kind of discussion in our Lounge Thread . I will move all non-topic discussions to this thread, so they are still available, but keep this thread a bit more useful.

Thank you very much for your cooperation and sorry for being once again the fun stopper - but such is life as a moderator.

FLYGVA & szg
co-moderator IHG Forum

Last edited by FLYGVA; Jan 16, 2014 at 11:54 pm
Old Jan 12, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; AA ExPlat; Hilton Diamond
New to ihg, does the point break list get updated every 3 months? Nest one for Feb-april?
Old Jan 12, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
It's usually about a week before the old list expires, and it goes live quickly. Last spring, the new list came out on something like March 22, and I was able to book from the new list for about a March 25-27th stay.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 4:35 pm

What is pointsbreak - sorry to sound silly, but I have been a member for years and never heard of points break, can somebody sum it up for me please?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 4:47 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
It's a sale rate for reward redemptions- every quarter, a limited number of properties become available for 5K a night instead of their normal number of points, and some very nice properties do end up on the Pointbreak list. (example- InterContinental Tahiti on the most recent list)

There's a certain amount of frenzy about each new Pointbreak list because the more interesting and useful properties typically book up at that 5K rate in days if not hours- after the number of 5K rewards available at the property fill, it reverts to the normal redemption rate.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 4:15 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott

It's been exactly a year since the 2013 thread was created so I thought it would be a good idea to start a new one for 2014.

Please remember the rules set by FLYGVA here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20049480-post3.html

For those who might be wondering, the next list will be released in about two weeks.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by valdor
For those who might be wondering, the next list will be released in about two weeks.
I was wondering about that: thanks for clearing it up!

Old Jan 14, 2014, 5:13 am

Thanks

Originally Posted by beachmouse
It's a sale rate for reward redemptions- every quarter, a limited number of properties become available for 5K a night instead of their normal number of points, and some very nice properties do end up on the Pointbreak list. (example- InterContinental Tahiti on the most recent list)

There's a certain amount of frenzy about each new Pointbreak list because the more interesting and useful properties typically book up at that 5K rate in days if not hours- after the number of 5K rewards available at the property fill, it reverts to the normal redemption rate.
Thanks for this....good to know
Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UA Mileage Plus, IHG Rewards Club
If I were to book a hotel with Pointbreaks and decided to cancel later, will my points be refunded?
Old Jan 14, 2014, 9:35 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Quarantine
If I were to book a hotel with Pointbreaks and decided to cancel later, will my points be refunded?
Immediately as long as you follow the cancellation t&c's for the reservation. I've only had one instance where the hotel modified my reservation (upgraded my room type) where I had to email c.s. to get a manual return of my points. This applies to all rewards reservations, not just Pointbreaks.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
This list better be better than the last one (or two).
Old Jan 15, 2014, 3:53 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, DL PM, IC RA
Originally Posted by mnredfox
This list better be better than the last one (or two).
that depends on you point of view
Old Jan 15, 2014, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
i hope there are some properties in switzerland when the new list comes out....have an upcoming trip there & could use a number of nights for 5k points....
I was hoping the same for Paris/Amsterdam/Hong kong
Old Jan 16, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles, Priority Club, HHonors
The last pointbreaks list was for the period Nov. 1 13 through Jan 31 2013. The booking period started Nov. 1. Over on the IHG community forums (http://goo.gl/bLV5dW), Chloe from IHG posted a 'sneak peek' of the Pointsbreak list on Oct. 30. So if that holds true for the next quarterly list, start looking for it around Jan 29 or 30.

That's also a good place to get a heads up on Flash Sales, which are discounted redemptions (good rates, up to 75% off of normal, but not the dirt cheap 5K of Pointsbreaks). Flash sales are usually bookable for just a couple of days, but those bookings can be for us to a few months out.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:00 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany
Original Poster

Originally Posted by valdor
It's been exactly a year since the 2013 thread was created so I thought it would be a good idea to start a new one for 2014.

Please remember the rules set by FLYGVA here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20049480-post3.html

Thank you for reminding me, that I had prepared the new list but forgot to make the thread visible by others than me

I have taken the liberty to move over the post of this year from the 2013 thread and merge your thread with my opening post.

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.