Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Pointbreaks discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:34 pm

Certainly pleased IHG still produce an extensive list of PB properties. This was a fabulous list for Central America. Many strong European offerings.

North America hit and miss as usual, fewer properties in large urban centers this time, CPs removed, but expected given the peak summer season. Mainly tired HI/HIX in remote or highway locations with the odd winner mixed in. Alas, nothing in WA or CO, and a very poor TX list.

Appreciated the Mississauga Staybridge. Strange seeing nothing east of Toronto in Canada.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:30 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by stigs
Certainly pleased IHG still produce an extensive list of PB properties. This was a fabulous list for Central America. Many strong European offerings.

North America hit and miss as usual, fewer properties in large urban centers this time, CPs removed, but expected given the peak summer season. Mainly tired HI/HIX in remote or highway locations with the odd winner mixed in. Alas, nothing in WA or CO, and a very poor TX list.
I agree with your analysis of NA. I have a 2-week road trip planned (Chicago, Las Vegas, couple of National Parks, Los Angeles, Austin, San Antonio, Houston) and not once during the two weeks I'm even getting close to a PB location (Houston and Chicago: the hotels are far away from the city center).

For Europe, there is almost nothing. Many hotels in the UK, basically nothing in all the other countries.

HTB.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Certainly pleased IHG still produce an extensive list of PB properties. ... Many strong European offerings.
Originally Posted by htb
For Europe, there is almost nothing.
I guess this highlights the beauty in the eye of the beholder syndrome.

For me? The SE Asia offer disappoints But I'm sure someone, somewhere is jumping up and down at the prospect of PB nights in Batam.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:29 am

Programs: IC Ambassador, IHG Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Miles & More FT
IC Bucharest and CP Bratislava already gone from the list. Booked Bratislava for one weekend in September^
Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I guess this highlights the beauty in the eye of the beholder syndrome.

For me? The SE Asia offer disappoints But I'm sure someone, somewhere is jumping up and down at the prospect of PB nights in Batam.
IHG went into China big time with local developers. Most PB are in China and not close to anything major.
My two deals last two years were IC Puxi (near SH) for R&R with DW and Manila(Ayala Center) for biz.

Originally Posted by doktor24
IC Bucharest and CP Bratislava already gone from the list. Booked Bratislava for one weekend in September^
That is not a surprise along with the Central American ICs
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by htb
I agree with your analysis of NA. I have a 2-week road trip planned (Chicago, Las Vegas, couple of National Parks, Los Angeles, Austin, San Antonio, Houston) and not once during the two weeks I'm even getting close to a PB location (Houston and Chicago: the hotels are far away from the city center).

For Europe, there is almost nothing. Many hotels in the UK, basically nothing in all the other countries.

HTB.
+1 - and I'm not surprised that CP Bratislava and IC Bucharest is gone. 1 property in Germany which IMO ridiculous.

We hit PB nights when we were in the US and we change our plan to fit a few PB nights in our itinerary.

We were in California back in May/early June for a National Park trip starts and ends in LA.The PB list was out when we got to the US. I had all my nights planned at Marriotts (CY, FI, RI - in the rural area), we saw the list and we thought, 'how can we make use of it'. Then we swapped 3 Marriott nights into PB nights - well we did have to change our plan slightly - doing a different way back to LA involving a 600km drive within 1 day.

It didn't turn out that bad - the SBS in Palmdale was excellent (we washed all our clothes including the newly bought ones with the free laundry - it's a shame they don't provide detergent anymore). It was the peak of cherry season and we took the kids to pick cherries in a local farm and they were the best cherries we ever had.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Appreciated the Mississauga Staybridge. Strange seeing nothing east of Toronto in Canada.
July, August and September are the busiest months in Atlantic Canada for tourists, hotels, attractions and all, it's not surprising. Less seasonal than Atlantic Canada, Quebec is quite busy this time of year, I would expect to see some Eastern Canada properties coming later this fall.

Same thing for New England, properties in Maine are $259 right now, but these same rooms will be $119 in early fall and until spring!
Old Aug 3, 2014, 1:39 pm

Made a reservation several months ago for a 3 night stay at the Crowne Plaza Reading PA in 2 weeks at a cost of $500 and change.

Today, I saw it came up as a Point Break but I was short 8,000 points, so after buying the points I needed, my stay is costing me $108 instead of $500. Score!
Old Aug 3, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
Originally Posted by t325
Made a reservation several months ago for a 3 night stay at the Crowne Plaza Reading PA in 2 weeks at a cost of $500 and change.

Today, I saw it came up as a Point Break but I was short 8,000 points, so after buying the points I needed, my stay is costing me $108 instead of $500. Score!
^ nice! Enjoy the outlets.

btw, does anybody know what the deal is with the HIX Woodbridge, NJ? As far as I can see/tell, there were never any PB nights available and according to the calendar there will never be any awards nights of any type available in the future. It's been like this since the list came out I beleive.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Costa Rica is already gone. Seems awfully fast, for a generally so-so location.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Costa Rica is already gone. Seems awfully fast, for a generally so-so location.
It is San Jose CR. Nice central luxury place to stay to do daily excursions around CR. If I don't get the room upgrade I am fine with standard rooms and paying for club access for breakfast and evening R&R. The timing is a milestone celebration for DW, 9 days in Panama City and San Jose CR Inter-can for 45000IHG points is a bargain.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 5:52 am

I was just trying to book a pointsbreak night in the UK when the screen refreshed and most of the European hotels vanished leaving just 2 in the UK (not one I wanted) and a few in France.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 7:19 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by garethmorgan
I was just trying to book a pointsbreak night in the UK when the screen refreshed and most of the European hotels vanished leaving just 2 in the UK (not one I wanted) and a few in France.
Book quickly -- usually they are available another few hours.

HTB.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 9:00 am

I tried. They still said 5k on the front screen but 20k on the rates screen.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER

Same thing for New England, properties in Maine are $259 right now, but these same rooms will be $119 in early fall and until spring!
Yes, indeed! I just paid $100/night for a tent site in Bar Harbor, Maine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.