2014 Pointbreaks discussion

Old May 27, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
What you just said iahphx. ^
Old May 27, 2014, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
What you just said iahphx. ^
I just booked three PointBreaks nights: one each in VA, MD and CO. The total lowest published room cost for 3 nights was well over $400, before tax. I'm paying 15,000 points. Heck, one night at a more-or-less comparable Hampton Inn would have been 30,000 HHonors points. So why complain? I don't expect to get a "free" room out of this promo in the center of a European city or in a nice Pacific resort. If it ever happens, it will be like finding a mistake rate or something. The odds that it will happen in summer have got to be close to zero.
Old May 27, 2014, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP,MR PP,Hyatt Diam, SPG Plat,PC Plat, HH Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by chunky649
A stupid limitation, but award nights reservations are 1 room per reservation...
So if the OP wants 4 rooms on award, he need 4 reservations.

Since the rule is new, I think the OP (the guy with 4 reservations) will be our guinea pig. Unfortunately, it is entirely possible for ICH to cancel his reservation, or change it to the regular 20K+ points. I suggest he keep a very close eye on his reservation and point balance, and keep all paperwork. Also, have backup reservations somewhere in case they do cancel.
I have 4 separate res. and I am keeping all emails and I do have backup res. (4 separate res. at a different IHG hotel).
I just don't think it would be right of them to allow people to book rooms if this indeed a violation of what they want and then cancel them unilaterally at some later point in time.
Old May 27, 2014, 1:33 pm

My girlfriend and I use these for short weekend trips around the Northeast. Just excuses to go to random places we've never been. We're happy with the list as usual.
Old May 27, 2014, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Only 3 properties in Asia?
Old May 27, 2014, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by waygora
My girlfriend and I use these for short weekend trips around the Northeast. Just excuses to go to random places we've never been. We're happy with the list as usual.
Same here... Lichfield for the weekend
Old May 27, 2014, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
I really don't know what folks are expecting with this. I guess they've thrown in a few "surprising" hotels over the years, which has raised expectations. But let's face it: it's summer in the Northern Hemisphere and that means it's time for most hotels there to make some money on leisure travel. I NEVER expect to book a vacation from this list; just to hopefully find a couple of hotels in cities that I'm passing through. I EXPECT these hotels to be odd, and certainly not their best, most convenient, and most expensive properties.

Still, a lot of these "odd" random HIX and Staybridges can cost $120+ night, or 20,000+ points, so I'm grateful when I can pick up a couple of almost-free nights.

If you want more from the PointBreaks program, I think you're going to be disappointed every time a new list comes out. Personally, I'm glad there's "a list" at all, since none of the other chains do anything like this.

I agree. Actually, this is the best list I've ever seen. Been monitoring the list for about 1 1/2 years, and I've never reserved from the list before. This time, I reserved five total nights at two different locations.
Old May 27, 2014, 3:06 pm

After a few underwhelming lists, this one is terrific for the urban traveler in North America. Nice to finally see a broad selection of above-average properties near major urban centers.

Like many have reiterated on here, people need to have realistic expectations during peak travel season. The elimination of ICs - which really have no business being on PB - is perfectly fine by me, especially if it means more properties near dynamic living cities with actual attractions as opposed to remote mining and farming towns.

As for individual properties, while a bit worn, you can't beat HIX Downtown Montreal during the world-class Jazz Festival or F1 race weekend, the most expensive weeks of the year in Montreal with every hotel sold out. Laval's HI is pleasant and a solid backup option for a quieter retreat with the potential to avoid the highways and take the subway downtown from the nearby station.

Also a very attractive Staybridge Suites in Oakville and a decent CP in downtown Hamilton. But a rough ride into Toronto with the ever-congested Gardiner reduced to two lanes.

Shifting to the U.S., there's the gorgeous CP at the Milwaukee Airport, a snazzy Indigo north of Chicago and top-rated Staybridge in Eagan, MN, just south of the MSP airport, all with rates north of $120/night. This will be a fun midwestern baseball/microbrewery tour, thank you IHG.

Common sense would dictate that the representation of hotels by country should be directly proportionate to the actual number of IHG properties there, not the local population. Nice to finally see IHG clamp down on the hoarders and punish regions known for re-selling rooms. Keep it up!

Last edited by stigs; May 27, 2014 at 3:18 pm
Old May 27, 2014, 3:16 pm

Where is there information about the whole reselling of Point Breaks rooms? I don't know anything about that.
Old May 27, 2014, 5:16 pm

I really don't know what folks are expecting with this. I guess they've thrown in a few "surprising" hotels over the years, which has raised expectations. But let's face it: it's summer in the Northern Hemisphere and that means it's time for most hotels there to make some money on leisure travel. I NEVER expect to book a vacation from this list; just to hopefully find a couple of hotels in cities that I'm passing through. I EXPECT these hotels to be odd, and certainly not their best, most convenient, and most expensive properties.

Still, a lot of these "odd" random HIX and Staybridges can cost $120+ night, or 20,000+ points, so I'm grateful when I can pick up a couple of almost-free nights.

If you want more from the PointBreaks program, I think you're going to be disappointed every time a new list comes out. Personally, I'm glad there's "a list" at all, since none of the other chains do anything like this.
other chains, overall, have better properties, WAY better treatment/benefits for elites and all at fewer award points. at 25,000 points transferred from chase, you get the Park Hyatt Maldives or.... a run down holiday inn next to a truck stop in anytown USA. hmmm... tough call.

my point is that IHG NEEDS PB hotels as an offset for their vastly inferior product and benefits. PB's are the only compelling benefit IHG has. the Big Win was very successful for IHG. how many made Big Win stays, even mattress runs, to earn points purely to get value out of them with PB hotels? my guess... a lot. at regular award prices, the value isn't there. without a compelling PB list, for me and many, there is no reason to waste stays at a IHG property.

perhaps you're not aware that there is a whole world outside of the Northern Hemisphere. the world where nearly 2/3 of the world population lives. the world where it is now LOW season. the world where IHG has 3 PB hotels for the next 2 months- with 1 of those having a military coup and curfews. yeah, awesome list. having a ss-so list during peak season is one thing. having no list at all during low season is pathetic and a bad omen.

however, if you're Clark Griswald driving the fam cross country thru the middle of nowhere in the green station wagon to wally world... this list rocks.
Old May 27, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
I just booked three PointBreaks nights: one each in VA, MD and CO. The total lowest published room cost for 3 nights was well over $400, before tax. I'm paying 15,000 points. Heck, one night at a more-or-less comparable Hampton Inn would have been 30,000 HHonors points. So why complain? I don't expect to get a "free" room out of this promo in the center of a European city or in a nice Pacific resort. If it ever happens, it will be like finding a mistake rate or something. The odds that it will happen in summer have got to be close to zero.
I'll second that, I also booked 2 reservations and I'm quite happy, I also booked a HIX in Atlanta last month (April). Outstanding value, I'm not expecting top properties like some others are expecting here, I think some people are getting greedy. Good! 'cause there will be more nicely furnished mid-scale properties all over North America for the rest of us. Cheers!

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; May 27, 2014 at 6:32 pm
Old May 27, 2014, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by uncommonsensical

perhaps you're not aware that there is a whole world outside of the Northern Hemisphere. the world where nearly 2/3 of the world population lives. the world where it is now LOW season. the world where IHG has 3 PB hotels for the next 2 months- with 1 of those having a military coup and curfews. yeah, awesome list. having a ss-so list during peak season is one thing. having no list at all during low season is pathetic and a bad omen.
That exactly what surprised me about the list. I can understand no offerings in China based upon the chatter but such a paucity of offerings in Asia is not what I anticipated.
Old May 27, 2014, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Well, hopefully better late than never. Here's a map of the properties, now fully color-coded markers based upon the property type (Crowne Plaza, HIX, etc...). To view the map, head here: IHG/PriorityClub PointBreaks List Through July 31, 2014. Hope you guys find it useful!

Old May 27, 2014, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by waygora
perhaps you're not aware that there is a whole world outside of the Northern Hemisphere. the world where nearly 2/3 of the world population lives. the world where it is now LOW season.
I am most certainly NOT aware of that. Probably because it is not true.

That said, it is true that north Asia is under-represented on the Pointbreaks list. Not sure if it's because this is a North America-focused program or that the reports of Chinese resales have spooked the local properties from participating.
Old May 27, 2014, 10:50 pm

Programs: Centurion, Lan Platinum, ANA Mileage Club, HHonors D, SPG G
12 nights to hangout in Bangkok for June and July, while getting club lounge access for free breakfast. Relaxing at the pool and getting work done during the day since i've been many a time. I'd say the list worked out for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.