Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking award night for someone else

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Booking award night for someone else

Hi, I'm trying to use a family member's account to book an award night for myself. But when I get to the final step where I verify guest info, the name field isn't editable and there is no field for additional guest info. Is this going to be possible? I thought IHG allowed this?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, British Airways, Alaska
You could book it in their name. Then have them phone the hotel and have your name added to the reservation as you will be arriving first.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by pkoo
Hi, I'm trying to use a family member's account to book an award night for myself. But when I get to the final step where I verify guest info, the name field isn't editable and there is no field for additional guest info. Is this going to be possible? I thought IHG allowed this?
Are you booking 2 guests?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

I will be the only one staying. Would that create any issues?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:36 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Book 2 and the field for name of the guest will be presented in the booking process. Indicate in the notes the guest will check in.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:59 pm

Programs: 1k MM, Hyatt Diamond,Marriott Gold, IHG Sphire, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Carson Gold
Originally Posted by Sean22mac
You could book it in their name. Then have them phone the hotel and have your name added to the reservation as you will be arriving first.
works every time
Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum
As has been mentioned above, just get your family member to book the room and then ring through and put you on the reservation.

I've done this plenty of times for friends and family and they also sometimes had upgrades etc, based on my status.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:34 am

What if you are RA, and want to 'gift' a stay at an IC resort to family with the same surname ...

If there are two guests actually staying, and you are in another country, is there risk of being detected by either the hotel or IHG ?

Will you need to book a third person in ? and what if the other two want a King bed ? It's going to look odd, having the three people staying in a room with just the one bed ...
Old Jan 9, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by 404
What if you are RA, and want to 'gift' a stay at an IC resort to family with the same surname ...

If there are two guests actually staying, and you are in another country, is there risk of being detected by either the hotel or IHG ?

Will you need to book a third person in ? and what if the other two want a King bed ? It's going to look odd, having the three people staying in a room with just the one bed ...
o Yes you can gift an hotel night/stay, as can anyone, on adr or award rates.
o I think what you actually mean is .... gift someone your RA benefits on their stay. Whether you separately stay elsewhere on a same night should not matter.

Not much different from 2nd named guest checking in first on an RA's reservation which I sometimes have to do. They get upgraded room and early checkin, I then arrive later.
Not yet tried this where I don't later also arrive. Imagine hitting minibar hard, and then being charged for consumption on checkout as no RA stayed in room that night, ouch.

Neither hotel would be aware of the duplicated date booking at the different IC, although IHG will spot as one will be posted as overlapping stay, but IHG corporate won't care, they don't lose money, quite reverse they get 2xcommissions .

I have had multiple night RA stays, left early and my other continued to enjoy the RA room+bennies for last 2nights/days without any issues. As always it depends on the individual hotel what they think + do in these situations.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:26 pm

Book award for someone else international?

If I use my IHG Annual Free Night certificate for a family member, and make a note in reservation that he will be the one to check in, might I get in trouble in The Netherlands? Will they want to check the passports of all guests? We're U.S. citizens.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:27 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ejay
If I use my IHG Annual Free Night certificate for a family member, and make a note in reservation that he will be the one to check in, might I get in trouble in The Netherlands? Will they want to check the passports of all guests? We're U.S. citizens.
If free night cert terms say non-transferrable (I am guessing as you mentioned USA it is CC free night) for your use when you stay, why woud you put a family member (or friend) in such an awkward position

Actually sounds like your plan is room is
a)booked in your name with additional named guest being able to checkin , being 2xnamed guests on room booked
b)you do not stay as seconnd occupant BUT another second unamed on reservation occupant stays and it is that second occupant id chek you are concerned about?

Person checking-in for room will need some id, and ofen other/second guests not. Even the minimum id, ie a CC to guarantee room costs would show different name just like a passport would of checkin person.

For obvious guests from outside Schengen Countries, who are limited to 90days in rolling 6month peiod in the Schengen area, hotels can well ask for passports of second/third guests per room.

I know hotels report non-schengen guests to immigration as if such a guest on Schengen Visa stays in private home your guest has to vist immigration police office and register within 3days, but does not need to so register if staying in hotel as hotel notifies immigration of stays.

Last edited by scubaccr; Dec 16, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.