9% cash back at Ebates for IHG

Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:50 pm

i'm going to fight this. i did my homework and read on FT that the experience thru both big win promos was that they counted. so, when fatwallet was at 9% i booked 3 stays. mine through FW showed up as non qualifying today- including not getting the extra 5000 points i paid $15 extra for! without the stays, i miss about 45,000 points from the big win because there is only 1 more saturday in april and i now need 2. further, my non refundable stay for tonight is one of those stays. there was no 'warning'. IN FACT, because i really don't trust any loyalty program now, i took a screen shot of my page before hitting enter to confirm. it shows the # of points to be earned from the stay.

you can't just change the rules 90% thru a promotion- additionally, the T&C state cannot be booked on a 3rd party site- obviously i booked on ihg.com.

this sounds like a Doug Parker move.... did US Air take over IHG?!
Old Apr 25, 2014, 3:34 pm

My cashback from ebates has never showed up for multiple stays. I wrote in but ebates requires that I pinpoint the exact reference number for my stay. Since I do price comparison and do multiple sites and visits before I book this is almost impossible. FW points almost always post without issue. Goodbye etates for hotel bookings.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 7:12 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by olouie
My cashback from ebates has never showed up for multiple stays. I wrote in but ebates requires that I pinpoint the exact reference number for my stay. Since I do price comparison and do multiple sites and visits before I book this is almost impossible. FW points almost always post without issue. Goodbye etates for hotel bookings.
I had no problem getting cashback to post from Ebates this past week (they sent an email the afternoon before it posted on IHG). My issue was with getting no points & a non qualifying stay posted for the same stay by IHG (which they did correct within 6 hours of filing a missing points form, as I previously posted in this thread).
Old Apr 26, 2014, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by htb
Any information on mrrebates?

I've had a stay in Frankfurt where the check-in clerk initially didn't want to give me a welcome points voucher saying that the reservation looks like a 3rd party reservation. I told him that I did book through the IHG site and that I could show him the confirmation mail from IHG.

Points posted, mrrebates as well. And so did about 5 more stays in March.

ebates, on the other hand, is hit and miss: some stays post on ebates, some don't. I always got the points, but my last stay is March as well.

HTB.
Not good news on Mr Rebates. My stay posted as non qualifying with no points awarded today. I did get cashback from Mr. Rebates. I'll submit for missing points & post the outcome.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 10:12 am

After reading the most recent posts from the current Big Win http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ng-2014-a.html
I don't think this problem with stays posting as non-qualifying with no points awarded has to do with cashback portals. Read the posts from today (4/26).
Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I have finished the discrepancy cases for my Easter stays:

IC A (this is actually not the case, but booked using Ebates as well): a night/points being posted correctly though it took a while.

IC B: two nights & points adjusted by the Ambassador service as a goodwill gesture. This was due to a "deeply discounted rate" (my rate was a best flex...).

HIX A: three nights & points adjusted by the hotel, however I was told that it was due to "the reservation made under "Commission Junction".

CP SFO: a night/points adjusted after the submission of a missing points form.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:48 am

Commission Junction is https://www.cj.com That is the affiliate tracking service for Mr. Rebates, Ebates and many other cashback portals.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 9:25 am

I also came out all right. After the initial form email response from IHG about using a third party website and not being eligible for points, I objected and received all the points I should have, about 4200 and the stay credit.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 3:20 pm

Another booking of mine through Mr Rebates posted as non-qualifying, no points awarded today (one night stay was last Tuesday, May 22). If they don't get this fixed soon, they're going to drive me to Marriott full time.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Probably this is IHG's new policy. Cash back will be considered discounts and/or these portals third parties, which falls into "non-qualifying".
Old Apr 27, 2014, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Dark Blue
Probably this is IHG's new policy. Cash back will be considered discounts and/or these portals third parties, which falls into "non-qualifying".
Then they better stop quoting points to be earned on the reservation details.

We're seeing many others who don't appear to be using cashback portals on the Big Win thread with the same non-qualifying problems, so I don't think that is the problem...yet.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 9:15 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by CalItalian
Then they better stop quoting points to be earned on the reservation details.

We're seeing many others who don't appear to be using cashback portals on the Big Win thread with the same non-qualifying problems, so I don't think that is the problem...yet.
But as you are routed to ihg.com by 3rd party cashback site, whom ihg (and/or) hotel have to pay a referral commission fee to, I can see two things

o Why should IHG treat this as a normal booking? for points/qual stay?
such cashback bookings are akin to OTA bookings where ota says pay at hotel and the ota takes more commission than they pass out as a cashback

o The IHG website displays the points to be earned purely as site can not differentiate that this is not a direct use of the ihg site
Old Apr 27, 2014, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by scubaccr
But as you are routed to ihg.com by 3rd party cashback site, whom ihg (and/or) hotel have to pay a referral commission fee to, I can see two things

such cashback bookings are akin to OTA bookings where ota says pay at hotel and the ota takes more commission than they pass out as a cashback

o The IHG website displays the points to be earned purely as site can not differentiate that this is not a direct use of the ihg site
Cashback portals are NOT third party sites. The booking is purely done on IHG.com that cashback portals redirect you from.

You going to make the same argument about MyPoints.com or an ad on the internet or a specific hotel that redirects you to IHG.com? You have one of the most stupid arguments I've ever seen written.

It's not MY problem that the IHG website is designed and maintained so poorly. It is legally theirs.

Last edited by CalItalian; Apr 27, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Old Apr 28, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by scubaccr

such cashback bookings are akin to OTA bookings where ota says pay at hotel and the ota takes more commission than they pass out as a cash back

Sorry, but the last point you make doesn't make much sense. IHG can clearly distinguish referrals to its site coming through Commission Junction. A bit of trivial work by IHG's magic group of coders could give clear warning/advice about points to be earned.

IHG chooses not to do this for its own reasons. Another bit of ad hoc policy development by hotel managers may be under way
Old Apr 28, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP (buh-bye!), HH Gold, SPG Gold, UM Go Blue
I am glad I found this thread as the same thing happened to me booking through ebates - zero qualifying nights and no points. At first, I thought it was because I booked the "pet package" at this particular hotel (all it meant is that the pet fee was bundled with the BAR). A quick call to IHG and they fixed it instantly, giving me my last night for the Big Win.

I always dread having to call them, however, and sincerely hope this is not an issue for my several upcoming IHG stays booked via the ebates portal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.