Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Big Win returns - Spring 2014

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2013, 9:28 am

Hi guys, I have some basic questions about the Big Win.
I need to stay four separate nights at two different holiday inns and two different holiday inn expresses, a total of four nights including two Saturday nights.
I searched in my area (within 15 miles) and found four different hotels: holiday inn, holiday inn hotel & suites, holiday inn express and holiday inn express hotel & suites. I'm wondering if XXX hotel & suites is considered as the same brand as XXX. If so, XXX hotel and suites and XXX are two different XXXs. Then I can fuifill the requirements by staying at these four hotels. Thank you guys.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 9:52 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, DL PM, IC RA
Holiday Inn & Suites counts as Holiday Inn. Same for HIX or the resorts.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 9:56 am

Completed the current Big Win and ended up with 90,400 points (plus the regular/bonus points, etc.)

The early 2014 promotion for me is as follows:

12 nights - 11,200
4 brands - 19,200
1 stay Best Rate + Breakfast - 2,000
3 Saturdays - 5,600
4 Holiday Inn hotels - 6,400 ****(see below)
Complete all 5 - 44,000

Grand total = 88,400

Not sure yet if it's doable, no idea what's happening in the new year at this point.

****Now the promotion is called "Stay Smart" which I believe the tagline for Holiday Inn EXPRESS hotels. When I open up that option it says
"Change your view - Stay at 4 Holiday Inn® hotels and earn 6,400 points"

But under terms and conditions it says:
"...after required number of qualifying room nights have been consumed by the member between January 1, 2014 and April 30, 2014 (both dates inclusive) at Holiday Inn Express® hotels hotels worldwide."

So we have a discrepancy here.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
A bit more strenuous than last time, but not awful. 87,800 for:
- 8 nights
- 2 Holiday Inn stays
- Stays at 3 other brands
- 3 Saturdays
- One rate at the "best flexible plus breakfast" so figure $30 more than AAA

So for me that breaks into:
- work: 5 nights total in three stays: Staybridge, HI, HIX
- leisure: Saturday night stays at Candlewood, Candlewood, HI w/breakfast

My bigger problem is that there are only 16-17 Saturday nights in that period, I already have 3 award stays where switching to a IHG revenue stay would be stupid, and 5 Saturdays where I know I have to be home.

I'll need to see what Hyatt does for their spring promo before I decide if I'm going to chase this one. None of my co-workers are IHG fans, so the work trips will have to be solo ones.

ETA: I have the same HI/HIX issue as the previous poster. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by cgnSenator
Holiday Inn & Suites counts as Holiday Inn. Same for HIX or the resorts.
Thanks cgnSenator!
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Now I'm TOTALLY confused! I need 5 brands, so either HI and HIX are the same ... or they're NOT!
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Now I'm TOTALLY confused! I need 5 brands, so either HI and HIX are the same ... or they're NOT!
If you need 5 different brands - Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express are different brands, plain and simple.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: KF Gold, QF Gold, MR Platinum, Accor Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by lz80521
Hi guys, I have some basic questions about the Big Win.
I need to stay four separate nights at two different holiday inns and two different holiday inn expresses, a total of four nights including two Saturday nights.
I searched in my area (within 15 miles) and found four different hotels: holiday inn, holiday inn hotel & suites, holiday inn express and holiday inn express hotel & suites. I'm wondering if XXX hotel & suites is considered as the same brand as XXX. If so, XXX hotel and suites and XXX are two different XXXs. Then I can fuifill the requirements by staying at these four hotels. Thank you guys.
HI and HIX are different brand. I've just finished my stay in HIX Semarang. Before this stay, I only ever stayed in IC, CP, and HI. Therefore my Elite Qualifying Brands were shown as 3. After my paid stay in HIX Semarang, the status of my Elite Qualifying Brands now shown as 4. Therefore, it is different brand. Morever, you said that :
Therefore the T&C is very clear; you HAVE to stay in 2 different HI and 2 different HIX including 2 saturday nights.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:14 am

Relax, both are different brands
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:15 am

I think in the new promotion people are getting tripped up on the BRAND challenge vs. the HOLIDAY INN / HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS challenge.

In the BRAND challenge, if you stay one night at Holiday Inn and another at Holiday Inn Express, you now have 2 brands. That's done, put it to bed, no further discussion needed.

In the new promotion my challenge says Stay Smart - stay at 4 Holiday Inns, yet the T&C says Holiday Inn Express. I have a feeling something will be corrected at some point and I'll end up at one or the other.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:24 am

My 2014 Big Win is quite easier than the former one; there is no need to stay in two different locations (Japan and OZ; Hellloooo!!! the Big Win points wont cover my airplane tickets )

- 6 nights : 8,800
- 4 brands : 19,200
- 3 book online : 2,200
- Survey : 100
- 2 saturday nights : 4,800
- views.dashboard.offer.q.header (I think it's dining expenses during stay : 400
- 2 stay smart in two different properties (in HIX I think) : 4,800
- Win Big : 40,000

Total: 80,300

The funny thing is:
Stay Smart;
Stay at 2 Holiday Inn® hotels and earn 4,800 points.

However, when I looked at the T&C; it mentioned that :
Number of bonus points or bonus miles listed above will be awarded after required number of qualifying room nights have been consumed by the member between January 1, 2014 and April 30, 2014 (both dates inclusive) at Holiday Inn Express® hotels hotels worldwide
So...which one should I follow ? the promotion title or the T&C since HIX and HI are two different brands.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by virtualaris
HI and HIX are different brand. I've just finished my stay in HIX Semarang. Before this stay, I only ever stayed in IC, CP, and HI. Therefore my Elite Qualifying Brands were shown as 3. After my paid stay in HIX Semarang, the status of my Elite Qualifying Brands now shown as 4. Therefore, it is different brand. Morever, you said that :

Therefore the T&C is very clear; you HAVE to stay in 2 different HI and 2 different HIX including 2 saturday nights.
Thanks virtualaris! I know HI and HIX are different brands. I just want to make sure HI hotel & suites is the same brand as HI.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The breakfast issue is an annoying pain, but I found a Holiday Inn where the breakfast rate is an additional $10 (which is also the "a la carte" price of their buffet breakfast as well, so no savings there); I think it's worth it more to finalize the darned completion lode than for the extra 2K in and of itself.
And additional $10 over what rate?

I normally book the AAA rate. I usually have to pay significantly more for the regular Flex Rate, and then $10 more than even that to add breakfast to Flex. (Is there ever a AAA + breakfast rate, and even if there is, would that count for this promotion, or does it have to be the specific rate called "Flex + Breakfast"?)
Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by sdsearch
And additional $10 over what rate?

I normally book the AAA rate. I usually have to pay significantly more for the regular Flex Rate, and then $10 more than even that to add breakfast to Flex. (Is there ever a AAA + breakfast rate, and even if there is, would that count for this promotion, or does it have to be the specific rate called "Flex + Breakfast"?)
$10 in addition to the BFR, which itself is usually around $15 over the AP rate I'd often prefer. To get the promo credit you MUST specifically be booked into the "Best Flexible with breakfast" rate code for the promo tracker to credit you with fulfilling that part of the Big Win; even if there were an AAA + breakfast rate somewhere, that wouldn't work. If it were just for the extra couple of thousand points, I'd skip it without a second's hesitation, but for 70K net - "breakfast" handful plus triggering the Big Win completion haul - I can live with the extra $25 bucks or so over staying at the AP w/o breakfast cost.

I'm Dutch, Scottish and New England Yankee, so I hear you loud and clear on the extra outlay, but at check-in I'll just have to mumble "The things we do for points ..." and try to enjoy my breakfast the next morning!
Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
My new offer is 68,000 points total for:

8 nights (9,600)
3 brands (11,200)
1 night w/ breakfast rate (2,000)
1 survey (100)
1 night on credit card (1,500)
2 Holiday Inns (4,800)
2 HIXs (4,800)
Win big (34,000)

This is more nights and fewer points than my previous offer (5 nights/91k points) so I'm a little disappointed. That said, if I do it in 8 nights it works out to 8,500 bonus points per night, which is still a pretty nice deal.

The thing is, I'm not sure I want to pay for another 8 nights with IHG. During the current Big Win offer I tried out a few CPs and HIs in places where I normally stay with Marriott brands, and I learned the IHG properties suck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.