The Big Win returns - Spring 2014

Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
As I already mentioned before (a few pages back), I was told by a supervisor (ie, not just a front-line customer service agent), that the "best flexible rate" wouldn't count, it has to be "best flexible rate w/ breakfast". And they realize that it's a bad deal*, but then they tell me that look, it's only one night you have to use this rate, and then you'll have it completed.

*I even pointed out to them that the hotel I had been planning to stay at already gives breakfast to IHG Plats, but they wouldn't have mercy. I simply have to overpay once, no way around it.

Fortunately, I found a lower-than-normal best-flex-with-breakfast rate for a Thu Jan 2 one-night stay (which I needed in that area anyway), so that's the one I'm getting out of the way first, since I doubt such a good rate will repeat outside of the (low business travel time) holiday period. So while it's still overpaying compared to what I could have paid for another rate at another Holiday Inn that day, it's not overpaying compared to "best flexible" rates later during the promo period at the other HI that gives me free breakfast as IGH Plat).
Thanks, that's what I figured. Sorry if this has been asked but I read thru several pages looking for it and checked the facebook page but IHG hasn't responded yet. For the following can it be the same hotel booked for two separate nights or does it have to be 2 different HI?

Stay at 2 Holiday Inn® hotels and receive 8,000 POINTS

Also I saw posted on the IHG facebook page that nights must be booked Jan 1, 2014 or after for certain offers.

Jd Star For the mobile booking challenge, the terms and conditions say that nights must be BOOKED between Jan. 1 and April 30. Do I have to wait until Jan. 1 to make mobile bookings for a Jan. 1 stay?
Like · Reply · December 16 at 4:28pm

IHG Rewards Club Hi Jd, Yes you'll have to wait until January 1st to make the mobile booking for this promotion. While registration for this promotion is now available, the promotion earning period doesn't actually start until January 1st. Thanks, Carolyn
Like · December 17 at 1:17pm
It would be nice to get some of the frequent questions put in a Wiki as this hasn't even started and 25 pages already.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:40 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
I am not sure I will get mine:

- Stay 14 nights and receive 12000 pts
- Stay at 4 different IHG brands and receive 12800 pts
- Get the Black Visa and pay for 1 stay and receive 20000 pts
- Stat at 2 city locations and receive 16000 pts
- Stay 3 Saturday nights and receive 5600 pts
- Stay at 4 IC hotels and receive 12800 pts
- Complete survey and receive 100 pts
- Complete all and receive 79000 pts

I wish the recent Christmas special rate counted towards these as I have a couple of stays booked already for Jan!

Regards aks120
Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Does anyone know if I book a stay with Citi TY points can I add my IHG number at check-in to get credit and points?
Thanks
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
those still need the sydney stay i can still help out a few others. PM's only please
Old Jan 1, 2014, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltline
Thanks, that's what I figured. Sorry if this has been asked but I read thru several pages looking for it and checked the facebook page but IHG hasn't responded yet. For the following can it be the same hotel booked for two separate nights or does it have to be 2 different HI?

Stay at 2 Holiday Inn® hotels and receive 8,000 POINTS
That's not clear from the T&Cs. You either have to call and ask (and be sure they give you the right answer), or wait until someone tries it with the same hotel and reports back.

Originally Posted by beltline
Also I saw posted on the IHG facebook page that nights must be booked Jan 1, 2014 or after for certain offers.
Thanks for pointing that out! I'd done a booking for the Best Flex Rate w/ Breakfast task the other day, but since it was still cancellable, when I saw your post just now I went and cancelled it and rebooked it from scratch.

Btw, I was told that the so-called "mobile" booking doesn't have to be mobile after all, that I can be on the IHG website too. That's what the T&Cs seem to say (" booked on any IHG web or mobile apps"), and after I complained that the IHG app is not compatible with my Android 2.2 phone (the app requires 2.3 of later), they told me I can just book on the regular IHG website and it'll count toward that promo.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by DesertRat
This promo really makes me angry. A big disincentive to stay with IHG, especially after seeing the other offers.
My max is 34K and I have only one IHG stay this year. I'm losing platinum this year and especially now see no reason to try to regain it.
How can a promo - an offer to get more without taking away anything - make you "angry"? At worst, you find it unappealing and you don't take advantage of it. At best, you find it very lucrative. But there's no scenario where you are harmed. If there are greener pastures elsewhere, they're still open range.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by sdsearch
T

Thanks for pointing that out! I'd done a booking for the Best Flex Rate w/ Breakfast task the other day, but since it was still cancellable, when I saw your post just now I went and cancelled it and rebooked it from scratch.

WHAT???!!!!!!!!! Please IHG don't start fooling us with this. I have made bookings in late Dec, with above-normal rates just to be sure I qualify for BigWin, but if only bookings beginning of Jan counts, IHG is insane! The bigwin marketing started in Dec and there was no statement about booking period.
Please confirm that this is not the case
Old Jan 1, 2014, 2:20 pm

Thanks, Beltline. You got them to answer my question back on page 14, without my having to look through all the pages since then. I had it on my calendar to cancel and re-book all my 2014 reservations today, and you've confirmed my suspicions about them. I hate to think about all the p.o'd people who aren't alerted to this!

"Jd Star For the mobile booking challenge, the terms and conditions say that nights must be BOOKED between Jan. 1 and April 30. Do I have to wait until Jan. 1 to make mobile bookings for a Jan. 1 stay?
Like · Reply · December 16 at 4:28pm

IHG Rewards Club Hi Jd, Yes you'll have to wait until January 1st to make the mobile booking for this promotion. While registration for this promotion is now available, the promotion earning period doesn't actually start until January 1st. Thanks, Carolyn"
Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
So where can I find the T&C for BigWin to be able to check whether my best flex rate w breakfast counts or not (booked in Dec, will be used in Jan-14) for the BigWin-14?

I could only find the global T&C where there was nothing about big win.

After getting the compelling bigwin offer from IHG, all this hassle has made me rethink whether IHGs reward program, and especially the bigwin, is worth the effort. I have totally different understanding about customer service - I don't except to dig into all possible details and lures behind any marketing promo just to be safe that my stay qualifies to what I am to expect based on the marketing promo.

Poor effort IHG. You have just lured in a possible new customer and right after freaked away a good-paying one. I feel now I will certainly not recommend IHG to any colleaques/friends.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:31 pm

Programs: Pascal and Python, no C++
For those interested, I did the full math on my previous Big Win now: All in all I've spent $ 1,532 on the necessary stays to win. This gave me 106,266 points (of which 87,800 were my Big Win), no additional codes involved, only a few bonus points here and there. So the overall cpp was 1.44 dollar cents or $ 14.41 per thousand (I prefer doing it that way)

So for me the question "Was it worth it?" is actually a resounding YES.

PS because of a few factors, I've actually spent $ 4,463 in that same period with IHG altogether, so could have reached a lot higher goals actually (made me Platinum at least - win-win for IHG and myself, but the overall CPT went up to nearly $ 32 because of that. (This includes some codes, but I've learnt them very late, unfortunately, so not too much of an impact. It also includes a stay at Staybridge Suites, I've only learnt later that they only give half the points....glad to have found this forum
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FFlash
So where can I find the T&C for BigWin to be able to check whether my best flex rate w breakfast counts or not (booked in Dec, will be used in Jan-14) for the BigWin-14?

I could only find the global T&C where there was nothing about big win.
Logging into big win , there is a link under each offer to View offer terms and conditions

which are at https://bigwin.ihg.com/amer/us/en/da...ring14_DEFAULT

Originally Posted by IHG
Number of bonus points or bonus miles listed above will be awarded after required number of qualifying room nights have been consumed by the member between January 1, 2014 and April 30, 2014
Old Jan 1, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Not having any luck adding these since they deleted all the promos from everyone's acct.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:22 am

Programs: Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum; Insomnia Cookies
The survey is open!
Well, it was for me about an hour ago. It wasn't very long. I got some questions on types of stays I made, including those involving spouse and children (of which I have neither). Then I got a request to rank the importance of about 20 features on a 1-10 scale.

Last edited by ramolnar; Jan 2, 2014 at 12:24 am Reason: grammar.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:15 am

I know HI Express is a separate brand from Holiday Inn, but am I safe to assume HI Resorts also count as a different brand?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:42 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I know HI Express is a separate brand from Holiday Inn, but am I safe to assume HI Resorts also count as a different brand?
Yes for sure....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.