FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Question on earning very small amount of points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1522775-question-earning-very-small-amount-points.html)

MilesGator Nov 18, 2013 12:04 pm

Question on earning very small amount of points

I have 29,973 points in my acct and want to redeem for a 30k/night room. As most of my stays are not IHG, I won't be accruing any more points from actual stays. I know I could transfer in 1k from my Chase UR acct, but would rather not "waste" the extra 973 UR pts I would then have left over in my IHG acct after redeeming for a 30k award night.

If I were to walk into a IHG property and buy some food from the little store near the check-in desk AND give the IHG employee my IHG number would the purchase be eligible for earning IHG points?

If I stop in my local Holiday Inn (10 IHG pts/$), I'd only have to buy ~$3 worth of stuff to earn the 27 points I need (and then not have to transfer in 1k Chase UR pts which is at least worth $10).

scubaccr Nov 18, 2013 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by MilesGator (Post 21806738)
I have 29,973 miles in my acct and want to redeem for a 30k/night room. As most of my stays are not IHG, I won't be accruing any more miles from actual stays. I know I could transfer in 1k from my Chase UR acct, but would rather not "waste" the extra 973 UR pts I would then have left over in my IHG acct after redeeming for a 30k award night.

If I were to walk into a IHG property and buy some food from the little store near the check-in desk AND give the IHG employee my IHG number would the purchase be eligible for earning IHG points?

If I stop in my local Holiday Inn (10 IHG pts/$), I'd only have to buy ~$3 worth of stuff to earn the 27 points I need (and then not have to transfer in 1k Chase UR pts which is at least worth $10).

I think you will be out of luck, also bear in mind transfers in are not immediately there to use.

As far as I know, you only earn points on the "Incidental Spend" if staying at the hotel. Both Paid and Award night "Incidental Spend" accrues points.

Maybe you can cadge a IHG Elite friends 300/400 point code for their recent stays, as seems HI/HIX/CP etc now are meant to give points/drink choice to Golds/Plats.

MilesGator Nov 18, 2013 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by scubaccr (Post 21806933)
I think you will be out of luck, also bear in mind transfers in are not immediately there to use.

As far as I know, you only earn points on the "Incidental Spend" if staying at the hotel. Both Paid and Award night "Incidental Spend" accrues points.

Maybe you can cadge a IHG Elite friends 300/400 point code for their recent stays, as seems HI/HIX/CP etc now are meant to give points/drink choice to Golds/Plats.

Thanks for this. After a little more digging, IHG's T&C states what you just mentioned that "incidental spend" only earns pts when charged to your room. Really wish I had bought a couple cokes or bag of chips on my last stay!

BrightlyBob Nov 18, 2013 1:00 pm

You should have had an email in September about the IHG BIG WIN promotion. If you've done nothing about it so far then now is the time to retrieve the email,or just go to your ihg online account and follow the link to the big win promo. Once you've registered you can log in, do a short survey and get 100 points which credits very quickly...

scubaccr Nov 18, 2013 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob (Post 21807064)
You should have had an email in September about the IHG BIG WIN promotion. If you've done nothing about it so far then now is the time to retrieve the email,or just go to your ihg online account and follow the link to the big win promo. Once you've registered you can log in, do a short survey and get 100 points which credits very quickly...

+1
Good spot, OP only needs 27 points.

Try URL ==> http://ihgrewardsclub.com/win
register and get 100points for survey.

ALSO... Check your offer, as it costs $7/1000 to buy points, and you might as you have stayed before get crazy Big-Win offer to earn 80K points or so (worth $560 for as little as 4 nights, if you choose hotels, city, brand wisely)

ALSO With loads of promo codes you have not used from last 60days alone you can register, a 1night stay can easily get you 20-25k in bonus points for a simple 1night stay. ($70 HIX stay can earn $175 of points ++ count towards big win too )

Raffles Nov 19, 2013 2:41 am

Try these surveys:

http://loyaltylobby.com/2013/02/03/p...oints-or-more/

Look at No 3. Even if you already did the US / UK one, do the Chinese one. For some reason it doesn't notice that you already did the US / UK one and gives you 100 points.

BrightlyBob Nov 19, 2013 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 21811229)
Try these surveys:

http://loyaltylobby.com/2013/02/03/p...oints-or-more/

Look at No 3. Even if you already did the US / UK one, do the Chinese one. For some reason it doesn't notice that you already did the US / UK one and gives you 100 points.

This is probably your easiest bet... The USA and Spanish sites don't seem to be reponding, but the UK english and Chinese do.

Points Scrounger Nov 21, 2013 2:22 pm

If you are in the USA, this is where Rewards Network dining would come in handy.

Brendan Nov 22, 2013 7:13 am

A 100-point survey or Rewards Network is your best bet. BTW, Scubaccr, one can't buy just 1000 points for $7. The 'Cash & Points, then cancel' trick works only in increments of $70 for 10K or $40 for 5K.

scubaccr Nov 22, 2013 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Brendan (Post 21832554)
A 100-point survey or Rewards Network is your best bet. BTW, Scubaccr, one can't buy just 1000 points for $7. The 'Cash & Points, then cancel' trick works only in increments of $70 for 10K or $40 for 5K.

Brendan, basic English, you simply can not cherry pick part of a sentence or paragraph in isolation and thus change the context of what is wtitten as part of the sentence!
Furthermore OP who posted question was not looking to purchase miles, hence this thread question by the OP,

Surely obvious to most English Language readers, that the $7/1000 is included so as to show the value of the OPs possible BigWin promo which Op had yet to use.
Furthermore OP who posted question was not looking to purchase miles, hence the original thread question by the OP I was answering in my post.

I don't abuse P+C with Cancel, but I do usually purchase 10K P+C eac night I book if hotel rate ratio is higher, so am fully aware minimum purchase is 5K, and even max of 40K per day.

My full Sentence is ....
"ALSO... Check your offer, as it costs $7/1000 to buy points, and you might as you have stayed before get crazy Big-Win offer to earn 80K points or so (worth $560 for as little as 4 nights, if you choose hotels, city, brand wisely)
"