undecided if I should MS 6k for Gold status

Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

undecided if I should MS 6k for Gold status

I need 6k points to become Gold status for the IHG rewards program.

I can easily MS and get the 6k however, is it worth it?

I read the Gold level add-ons and really its only priority check in and nothing else.

If i am missing something and you believe it is worth it, please let me know.

I would have to spend $47.40 to get the 6k points.

Also at Gold level, is there a chance for a upgrade, if not, i really don't know what would be the justification to spend roughly $48 dollars for Gold level.

Thanks in advance for everyone's comments.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 2:29 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
6k points requires a $600 hotel spend to take that last step...

For marriott gold.. Yes

For hilton gold... Yes

For a hairy gnasher Dennis the Menace badge.. Maybe (always loved the Beano)

For IHG Gold? You're kidding, right...

It's just not worth it. For IHG plat, yes, even though plat bennies are pretty thin, the extra points for plat should repay the investment, but gold is just a name. And a $600 mattress run isn't worth it.

So, No... Not for a moment...

As for MS, sorry I don't know what that is, but even so the price of $47 isn't worth it, that's how thin the IHG Gold bennies are... And yes,for $47.90 I would buy a hairy Dennis the Menace badge!
Old Nov 4, 2013, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
6k points requires a $600 hotel spend to take that last step...

For marriott gold.. Yes

For hilton gold... Yes

For a hairy gnasher Dennis the Menace badge.. Maybe (always loved the Beano)

For IHG Gold? You're kidding, right...

It's just not worth it. For IHG plat, yes, even though plat bennies are pretty thin, the extra points for plat should repay the investment, but gold is just a name. And a $600 mattress run isn't worth it.

So, No... Not for a moment...

As for MS, sorry I don't know what that is, but even so the price of $47 isn't worth it, that's how thin the IHG Gold bennies are... And yes,for $47.90 I would buy a hairy Dennis the Menace badge!
Thanks Bob for the response

MS means Manufactured spending

Just a quick question, why would you say yes to Marriott and Hilton?

What is great about thier Gold level and also compared to IHG?

Also when you say bennies, i am assuming you mean upgrades? If not then please explain what that means.

Thanks
Old Nov 4, 2013, 4:29 pm

[Deleted]

Last edited by trekx; Nov 10, 2013 at 5:01 pm
Old Nov 4, 2013, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Hilton gold gets you a free breakfast, IHG gold gets you nothing to note (although a few properties may give you something). Even IHG Platinum is more of a note to the hotel to treat you nice, guaranteed benefits are few - most, such as upgrades, are discretionary.

Remember each programme names things differently, gold can be great on one and poor on another.

Using airlines as example - AA gold is their lowest elite status and BA gold is their highest (within the oneworld system - not taking into account the invitation only tiers). AA gold = BA bronze.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oracles4444
I need 6k points to become Gold status for the IHG rewards program.
I don't understand what you're planning to MS. The IHG Rewards Select card from Chase (if you're based in the USA) already gets you Platinum status, no need to worry about Gold. And what other card can you MS to get IHG Club points???

Are you based in the USA or elsewhere?

Or did you mean MR (mattress run) rather than MS (manufactured spend)???
Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for responding, I have an old priority club card from IHG that has no annual fee. If I was to MS 6k on my priority card, I would reach gold level. This old priority club card gives you points however does not give you status like the new card. I just didn't know if it was worth spending the money for the status and it seems I was right lol
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:29 pm

Save yourself the $47 and pay the $49 AF for the IHG Rewards Select card. You'd get platinum and the fee is waived for the first year.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jjangoo
Save yourself the $47 and pay the $49 AF for the IHG Rewards Select card. You'd get platinum and the fee is waived for the first year.
very true lol I didn't think of that, but I really don't want IHG. I rather spend on Marriott.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 5:44 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Thanks Bob for the response

MS means Manufactured spending

Just a quick question, why would you say yes to Marriott and Hilton?

What is great about thier Gold level and also compared to IHG?

Also when you say bennies, i am assuming you mean upgrades? If not then please explain what that means.

Thanks
Bennies=Benefits

Hilton Gold gets you upgrades subject to availability, and from a friend who is a hilton fan he says, at least in UK/EU upgrades are way more common than not, though most are soft upgrades to better rooms rather than suites, etc. The other big benefit is free full breakfast daily at FS.

Marriott gold gives upgrades subject to availability, like my friend in Hilton, I find I am upgraded virtually without exception though usually to a larger room than suites. The other big benefits are guaranteed lounge access and free breakfast daily, either in lounge or restaurant.

Both hilton and marriott have a lot of nice weekend type hotels around EU/UK and so the benefits are useful. The room upgrade typically comes out at $50 worth and the free breakfasts, $40 per night. However I have had some very valuable upgrades, most recently at the Boscolo Budapest when I was upgraded on a 5 night leisure stay to a suite and free breakfasts for the 2 of us daily. The benefit value of that stay alone exceeded $3000. This year I've had 3 longer leisure stays (inc Budapest) and the benefits on those alone easily exceeded $6000. Then there's the benefits on the shorter weekend stays, of which there's probably been another 3 or 4 this year, all bringing forward upgrade/breakfast value of around $90/night. This year I guess my benefits for personal stays alone have been worth around $7000.

Contrast this happy story with IHG Gold which brings with it, um... 10% extra points...

And...

Aaahh, well that's it really.

There's no comparison between IHG Gold and Marriott/Hilton gold... Really none at all, mind you I should add that IHG Gold is so much easier to get to than Hilton or Marriott Gold, in reality IHG Gold is really akin to silver status in both Marriott/Hilton, both in terms of nights needed to qualify and the threadbare benefits. I call these the "giveaway" statuses, by giveaway I mean that you can simply get the no-fee basic affiliated credit card, put it in a drawer, never touch it again and receive sufficient night credits annually to maintain the status indefinitely. IHG Gold is really akin to silver in both the other schemes, and I'd not pay $47 for either Hilton or Marriott silvers!

So, no, don't waste the money...
Old Nov 5, 2013, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjangoo
very true lol I didn't think of that, but I really don't want IHG. I rather spend on Marriott.
I still don't get it, you don't want IHG Platinum status, yet you started this thread by saying you're considering spending $6k to get IHG Gold status?

Btw, don't upgrade your existing card to the Select. Apply afresh for the IHG Club Select card. Since it's a different card than the you currently have, you're elegible for the big singup bonus (somewhat more points if you want the version of the offer that requires $1k spend, not quite as many points if you want the "first purchase" version of the offer):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...club-visa.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ed-1st-yr.html

And it gives you more than just instant IHG Platinum. (That's possibly the lowest value of what it gives!) It gives you those bonus points, it gives you 10% back on all points redemptions, and in subsequent years (in trade for a $49 annual fee) it gives you an uncapped free night certificate (surely worth much more than $49!).

It's thus what I call a "net negative" annual fee card.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I still don't get it, you don't want IHG Platinum status, yet you started this thread by saying you're considering spending $6k to get IHG Gold status?

Btw, don't upgrade your existing card to the Select. Apply afresh for the IHG Club Select card. Since it's a different card than the you currently have, you're elegible for the big singup bonus (somewhat more points if you want the version of the offer that requires $1k spend, not quite as many points if you want the "first purchase" version of the offer):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...club-visa.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ed-1st-yr.html

And it gives you more than just instant IHG Platinum. (That's possibly the lowest value of what it gives!) It gives you those bonus points, it gives you 10% back on all points redemptions, and in subsequent years (in trade for a $49 annual fee) it gives you an uncapped free night certificate (surely worth much more than $49!).

It's thus what I call a "net negative" annual fee card.
Thanks for the response and what i meant is if i was to sign up for another credit card, it would be Marriott and not IHG. Especially since i see there is a definite difference between the 2 hotel programs. Also i can buy marriott gift cards to pay for my stay and earn more points with my ink plus card.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the response and what i meant is if i was to sign up for another credit card, it would be Marriott and not IHG. Especially since i see there is a definite difference between the 2 hotel programs. Also i can buy marriott gift cards to pay for my stay and earn more points with my ink plus card.
Just be aware that while the Marriott card gives you enough qualifying nights (15) to get Silver instantly, Marriott Silver isn't good for much. You'll need 35 qualifying nights more this year (15+35=50) to get to Marriott Gold status (if you haven't already). Gold is the "sweet spot" in Marriott status (in that it suddenly gives you free internet and free lounge access or breakfast at most properties).

The only hotel program in which the elite level you get with the credit card is a "really good" elite level is Hilton HHonors (you get Gold with the Citi HH Reserve card, unwaivable $95/year).

With IHG the card gets you the top elite level but that level isn't all that much (and there's not much beyond, except for those who stay at ICs a lot maybe and can go for Ambassador). With Marriott the card gets you (just above) the bottom elite level, and that level isn't all that much (even though Marriott is great once you get to Gold, their middle level).
Old Nov 17, 2013, 2:45 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by sdsearch
SNIP/SNIP With Marriott the card gets you (just above) the bottom elite level, and that level isn't all that much (even though Marriott is great once you get to Gold, their middle level).
Just to be clear here, Marriott Gold is sooooooooooooooo far above IHG Gold! Upgrades, guaranteed lounge access in FS, guaranteed breakfast 7 days week in FS worldwide (except resorts). Marriott Gold is well above the equivalent of IHG Plat, with the exception of point-earning, that it's embarrassing.

IHG is now and has always been about points, tonight I am at Marriott enjoying the bennies. Tomorrow I will be at IHG enjoying my rapidly accumulating points total.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Marriott Gold is "so far above" IHG Platinum!!

When they kept the points requirement and nights requirement under the new system, it wasn't worth it for me to direct so much of my hotel nights over to IHG, when balanced against the actual benefits. Pointbreaks are fantastic (the best redemptions in the industry). But they are available to everyone with enough points to redeem them. No need for status there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.