Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

IHG closed my acct. (after 25 Best Rate Claims) and noone will tell me why

IHG closed my acct. (after 25 Best Rate Claims) and noone will tell me why

Old Sep 12, 2013, 5:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It is in the last sentence of the text you highlighted

Guests are only able to claim one (1) free night per stay at an IHG hotel globally, regardless of location.

I have no idea what the terms were prior to 30th July
You may want to re-consider the meaning of the sentence to which you are referring above. "It" isn't there in the current terms for BRGs.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 6:05 am

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
I think people get tossed out when it appears as if they are using the program only for the BRGs.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 6:15 am

Programs: MR Gold, IHG Gold AMB
BRG isn't a benefit, it's an offer.

Cancelling account on that basis seems like saying "you're choosing our hotels only when they are the cheapest, we're not going to have more business with you". Quite absurd IMHO.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 6:31 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by elva
BRG isn't a benefit, it's an offer.

Cancelling account on that basis seems like saying "you're choosing our hotels only when they are the cheapest, we're not going to have more business with you". Quite absurd IMHO.
Spot on. That is why any restrictions on the offer must be as prominent as the offer itself.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by redreeper
I think people get tossed out when it appears as if they are using the program only for the BRGs.
You don't have to be a IHG Rewards Club member to stay at one of their hotels or have a successful BRG claim.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 7:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I meant to write in the op that I did everything by the book based on the old rules, no restrictions of once a week or same hotel more than once a year (if there is such a rule) or distance of 50 miles from home... I realize quite a few of my BRGs wouldn't qualify based on the new rules but it doesn't seem right to revoke previously valid claims based on rules that were made up after they were approved. Also, I meant to mention that I never got any BRG info from others, I did all the work myself. I actually checked out other sites/ blogs to find out where they were reporting successful claim and stayed far far away from those properties.
Also, I am based in the US and all the claims were for US hotels.
I understand why they kicked me out- no revenue stream, I just don't think it's the ethical or correct thing to do.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 7:47 am
uk1
Suspended

Sadly, in the US, thanks to the big business lobby - you have virtually no consumer protection other than that afforded by the market place and reputation .... ie zilch.

Good luck.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:08 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Op doesn't appear to have given enough info to be able to make a judgement.

I tried to follow the thread, but with the side-issue of the erroneous 1 night per hotel per year thing, and all the "corrected" and deleted stuff, I lost the whole run of the thread.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tangey
Op doesn't appear to have given enough info to be able to make a judgement.

I tried to follow the thread, but with the side-issue of the erroneous 1 night per hotel per year thing, and all the "corrected" and deleted stuff, I lost the whole run of the thread.
Unfortuntately the site has chosen not to allow people to utilise the delete fundtion for posts making it necessary to just delete content within a post

Although in post 1 , the OP asserted that all rules were followed, post 41 does seem to have given information that there are stays that are invalid under the current rules

Originally Posted by elva
It is more saying that they do not want to do business since you are only choosing our hotels when we have to pay you to stay ( 1 paid stay , 25 free stays seems close enough )

This is quite different to just booking the cheapest rate
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:54 pm
uk1
Suspended

I think that in arguing all this detail, the bigger picture seems to have been missed.

The whole point of the Best Price Guarantee is specifically a promise ( it chooses to use that exact word) that the best prices for any Intercontinental Hotel Room will always be found on their own web site. This trumpeting is designed - as it turns out - to provide a false sense of confidence that IHG is so confident that they will underwrite and reward customers if they subsequently discover that any competing site is lower.

The sole purpose of the promise is to increase confidence and stop customers actually bothering at looking at competing sites and make the IHG site the first and last port of call for IHG reservations.

If that promise is anything other than hollow and shallow then there would be no need for any limits on the claims. All the OP was doing was taking IHG at their word. All they are doing is proving that the promise is a sham.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Although in post 1 , the OP asserted that all rules were followed, post 41 does seem to have given information that there are stays that are invalid under the current rules
I don't get why it should matter. Does a change of rules nullify previously valid claims? Ex post facto rules?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uk1
All the OP was doing was taking IHG at their word. All they are doing is proving that the promise is a sham.
You said it perfectly. Thank you.
In addition to losing the free nights I also lost my points- so there are also consequences to taking IHG at their word.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:32 pm

Programs: Avios Hunter
Did you paid IHG for, ambassador membership, or buy points at any time. If so then you'd have a stronger argument for being informed. Buying either of the above, and then have the benefits of them taken away from you must be wrong.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I actually remembered this morning that I transferred 5k points from UR into my acct. I also got IHG Ambassador but I used the points from my cc signup.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by notahappycamper
I don't get why it should matter. Does a change of rules nullify previously valid claims? Ex post facto rules?
Any Claims made under rules that didn't have such restrictions, I agree should be honoured

I don't know when restrictions were put in place, only that the site indicates that the latest rules are from 30 July, but whether these rules existed prior to this , I don't know

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.