Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

IHG closed my acct. (after 25 Best Rate Claims) and noone will tell me why

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG closed my acct. (after 25 Best Rate Claims) and noone will tell me why

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2013, 5:05 pm

Programs: HH-D / IHG-Sp / Marriott-P / LH-SEN / BA-S
You said:

Originally Posted by notahappycamper
I made 25 successful BRG claims so far this year
Yes I know I don't give them the big bucks, only 1 paid stay all year.
... anytime I can help a friend or family member I will definitely give them the BRG info. and help them make a claim. I am now motivated to get as many free nights as possible for people I care about- not everyone here on the forum ...
Sorry, but in what case a customer like you can be considered as worthy? Can you please tell us how many $$ did you spend and how much do the 25 BRGs cost in total?

Last edited by szg; Oct 29, 2013 at 7:51 pm Reason: Delete personal attack
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by azepine00
I understand how the system works. ICH sets up BRG fair and square. Some folks manage to milk it for a month of free stays while contributing nothing. Hotels complain, ICH checks individual accounts and realize the magnitude of abuse. ICH scales down or eliminates the program.
The end result - average customers who use the system as indended lose.
Not the first time on this forum...
Average customers like me rarely if ever file BRG. We have little choice in dates or locations which are mandated by business or a planned vacation. However we do have a choice of properties and that's where loyalty programs enter the picture.

Kudos to anybody who can find 25 BRGs and actually use them - I rarely bother and when I do they are usually rejected on a technicality (Hilton) though I find Marriott pretty honest.

However it doesn't bother me a bit that IHG would terminate its relationship with this customer. It's not a profitable relationship for them, and it doesn't benefit any of us when people game the system.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 1:06 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by sch7458
It's not about liking or not liking someone who files 25, 50, or 75 BRGs. It's about worthiness doing business with a person having only 1 paid night vs 25 BRGs. There's still people here doing more than 50 BRGs but those might be nothing compared to their paid nights / stays. Self-centered customer like the OP never thinks the opposite way.
"Self-centered" customers like the OP render a service to IHG (pointing out websites which underbid the price on IHG websites) for which a compensation was promised (a free night etc.).

I don't see where the "worthiness" as a customer is coming into that interaction.

HTB.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 1:10 am
htb

Sorry, but in what case a customer like you can be considered as worthy?
I believe that IHG "forgot" to mention that only "worthy" customers are entitled to the BRG. I just imagine going into a store that promises to match the lowest price of their competitors (plus 10%) and then being told that they will not honor the guarantee because I'm not a "worthy" customer.

At the very least you would have to state this in your T&Cs AND define what you consider to be a "worthy" customer.

HTB.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 1:12 am
htb

Originally Posted by Boraxo
However it doesn't bother me a bit that IHG would terminate its relationship with this customer. It's not a profitable relationship for them, and it doesn't benefit any of us when people game the system.
A bit like a bank that not only closes your account but also seizes all your assets they held for you because they consider you not to be a profitable customer. Yes, I can fully understand that banks would do that if they were allowed to.

HTB.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 1:18 pm

Programs: HH-D / IHG-Sp / Marriott-P / LH-SEN / BA-S
Originally Posted by htb
I believe that IHG "forgot" to mention that only "worthy" customers are entitled to the BRG. I just imagine going into a store that promises to match the lowest price of their competitors (plus 10%) and then being told that they will not honor the guarantee because I'm not a "worthy" customer.

At the very least you would have to state this in your T&Cs AND define what you consider to be a "worthy" customer.

HTB.
It's not listed in T&C, of course. But imagine you're doing a business property in another hotel chain, let's say the CR manager for SPG, then you get a client who made >20 BRGs with only 1 stay paid. Would you like to continue the business with him? I were you, then not only I m gonna close his account, but also set him in the list 'most unwanted guest'.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 10:29 pm
htb

I were you, then not only I m gonna close his account, but also set him in the list 'most unwanted guest'.
See my example with the bank. I don't think you'd have a happy day in court.

HTB.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 11:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Originally Posted by htb
A bit like a bank that not only closes your account but also seizes all your assets they held for you because they consider you not to be a profitable customer. Yes, I can fully understand that banks would do that if they were allowed to.

HTB.
Laughable. Explain in detail how the two situations are comparable.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Wan1dap
Laughable. Explain in detail how the two situations are comparable.
Exactly. Banking is a regulated industry. You deposit $1000 in your account the bank is not permitted to steal it just because you take advantage of every free promo they offer you.

An IHG account is filled with points that are given to you at the sole discretion of the merchant. How did the points get into your account? In this case with only 1 paid stay and 25 free one-night stays so I am betting it wasn't from paid stays (which is how most of us earn points) or credit card signup.

If this was someone who earned 2k points per stay x 40 paid stays at an IC property I'd be as outraged as anyone. But 1 paid - nah.

It's a case of wanting to have your cake and eat it too, without paying for it.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by htb
See my example with the bank. I don't think you'd have a happy day in court.

HTB.
With a bank, you take something that's yours - cash - and give it to the bank to hold for you. How's IHG's loyalty program anything like that? Simply it's nothing like it.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 7:59 am

Programs: All airlines / hotels
If these were legitimate hotel complaints, and different issues between hotels, surely IHG would understand, look into them - and if your feedback was viewed as valid, IHG would reinstate your points, wouldn' they?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:29 pm
htb

Originally Posted by fireworksboy
With a bank, you take something that's yours - cash - and give it to the bank to hold for you. How's IHG's loyalty program anything like that? Simply it's nothing like it.
Despite the T&C's assurance to the contrary "you have no interest in the points", "the points have no value" etc, it is exactly the same. Maybe these terms mean something in the US, but in most European countries you can flush them down the toilet. But we had this discussion earlier in this thread already.

HTB.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by htb
Despite the T&C's assurance to the contrary "you have no interest in the points", "the points have no value" etc, it is exactly the same. Maybe these terms mean something in the US, but in most European countries you can flush them down the toilet. But we had this discussion earlier in this thread already.

HTB.
Feel free to believe the opposite of the T&Cs that you took the time to quote. Unfortunately, since it's IHG's game we're all playing, they not only get to write the rules, they also get to interpret those same rules.

Last edited by fireworksboy; Nov 4, 2013 at 5:54 pm
Old Nov 4, 2013, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Feel free to believe the opposite of the T&Cs that you took the time to quote. Unfortunately, since it's IHG's game we're all playing, they not only get to write the rules, they also get to interpret those same rules.
Absolutely wrong. IHG can't interpret them as they see fit...the law can and will though...and has often ruled against IHG in the past (which is was why the one per 30 day BRG restriction was removed a year ago).
Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:51 am

As long as IHG does not offer the best price on their website as guaranteed they have to honor your claims.

In Europe civil law and customer protection laws will protect you from random T&Cs and their interpretation.

It is like Sony selling a broken TV and not tolerating the guarantee. Does not matter wheter you buy 1 or 50 TVs.

As the american and european legal systems are extremely different the BRG unfolds also differently. Note that you can hardly change the competent court for european consumers. IHG skates on thin ice and should better tolerate legitimate claims. I bet the positive effects of the BRG exceed a lot the hefty users.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.