Wiki Posts
Search

RA charged for water?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Royal Ambassador, HHonors Gold
RA charged for water?

Hey all, quick question. Was checking out yesterday morning, and my bill contained a charge for the water which is normally sitting out on a table/counter in the room (not the Amb/RA gift, the one with the 5-6$ price tag on it). I was surprised that I was being charged, and the clerk (graciously) removed the charge without any prompting from me whatsoever. I haven't been charged for that before, and I think I always drink it. Anyone else?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: IHG
When I stayed in Hong Kong the hotel strategically placed expensive French mineral water next to the kettle, although I did not use it.

Since obtaining RA I have not been charged for mineral water, but there should always be a complimentary bottle by the bed.

In Thailand IC's don't provide free mineral water as standard. It's purified drinking water and much cheaper for the hotel.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:25 am
Community Director Emerita

I see that your profile says you are Royal Ambassador. Was this a paid stay or award? If an award stay, did the hotel extend minibar privileges?
Old Jan 4, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I see that your profile says you are Royal Ambassador. Was this a paid stay or award? If an award stay, did the hotel extend minibar privileges?
Exactly, PC sucks. On award stays they don't give jack at many/most nice properties (all in US). Benefits are too flaky for me.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Royal Ambassador, HHonors Gold
It was a paid stay - and very well treated. Full RA benefits, inc minibar, as well as upgrade to suite AND club access. Overall a very nice stay - that's why the initial charge for the water stood out in such stark contrast to the rest of the experience.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 5:02 pm

IDK. Again PC sucks. When I checked out of the IC Fiji, I had ALL kinds of charges I didn't make. Minibar stuff I didn't use as well as a $1 donation to something I never heard of for each day of my visit. 8 nights and $8... how nice of me...
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA ex Plat, IC Plat , Hilton Diamond
travelisfree.... are you an RA??(only because that does make a big difference on IC properties)
I agree PC isnt that good of a program, but RA in some locations is great. Asia, US is limited SFO great, in the IC tampa now...., not bad at all. better than hilton in the US, in some cities. I consider the IC program seperate from PC, as I dont usualy ever stay at a Holiday Inn.

Never been charged for water, but I've only had a few of the bottles labeled with price tags. Like the snacks, I just avoid...
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by timmyc99
It was a paid stay - and very well treated. Full RA benefits, inc minibar, as well as upgrade to suite AND club access. Overall a very nice stay - that's why the initial charge for the water stood out in such stark contrast to the rest of the experience.
Then water is free. Everything in room (drinks) are free. I've never had an issue.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:57 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by midnight
When I stayed in Hong Kong the hotel strategically placed expensive French mineral water next to the kettle, although I did not use it........................
In Thailand IC's don't provide free mineral water as standard. It's purified drinking water and much cheaper for the hotel.
Never had a problem drinking Hong Kong tap water. Bangkok tap water, on the other hand, is potentially problematic.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by travelisfree
IDK. Again PC sucks. When I checked out of the IC Fiji, I had ALL kinds of charges I didn't make. Minibar stuff I didn't use as well as a $1 donation to something I never heard of for each day of my visit. 8 nights and $8... how nice of me...
Didn't have any of the problems you mentioned during my stay at the IC Fiji.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 7:11 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
...as well as a $1 donation to something I never heard of for each day of my visit. 8 nights and $8... how nice of me...
Same in China. I'm sure the donation will go to the organization in the name of the hotel/hotel chain... And the note about the donation is written in the smallest print available and added to the room rate so it's less likely you see it when checking in.

HTB.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, BW Diamond Select, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by midnight
Since obtaining RA I have not been charged for mineral water, but there should always be a complimentary bottle by the bed.
Does anyone remember the TV commercial where a guest is complaining to the clerk about being charged for a complimentary bottle of water? The clerk says "Complementary. It complements the room."
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by shawntobi
travelisfree.... are you an RA??(only because that does make a big difference on IC properties)
I agree PC isnt that good of a program, but RA in some locations is great. Asia, US is limited SFO great, in the IC tampa now...., not bad at all. better than hilton in the US, in some cities. I consider the IC program seperate from PC, as I dont usualy ever stay at a Holiday Inn.

Never been charged for water, but I've only had a few of the bottles labeled with price tags. Like the snacks, I just avoid...
I know RA has awesome benefits. Looks awesome for suite upgrades, minibar, etc...

My complaint is that I can afford to chase a publicly undefined status and not get it. Second, it also seems that RA's complain about not getting benefits on award stays - which is dumb. You earn the points but are treated poorly for using them?

Anyways, that's my rant summarized and why I'm not an RA. But who know, if I ever do go for RA maybe I'll be a huge IC fan. But the other thing is, ICs are not in every city, sometimes I have to stay in a CP.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:00 am

You earn the points but are treated poorly for using them?
The other complaint (from me at least) is that you earn the point in good rooms, but can only redeem for the rubbish ones. Imagine a week in a 'classic' inward-facing room at the Park Lane IC on an award stay. Lovely.

The only solution of course was to allow 'premium' rewards as per HH and perhaps others, but that would have created a direct cash-point link on redemptions and nobody wants that, me included.

Now that seems to be the direction they're moving in anyway, though...
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by jimthehorsegod
Now that seems to be the direction they're moving in anyway, though...
We'll find out soon...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.