Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC London Westminster Master Thread (leaving IHG August 31, 2014)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:03 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SethLevy
Any suggestions on best way to get to the hotel?

Is it better to take a taxi, car service, HEX or the tube? Thanks.
o Depends on how much luggage and time of day.

o From LHR I often took H/express to Paddington then a taxi, to nearby Crowne Plaza St James. This is usually the quickest.

o For LCY, recommend DLR to canning town, then DLR to West Ham, then District Line all the way to St James.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 6:07 pm
Suspended

5 pages and only 2-3 posts on the actual hotel rooms themselves, sheesh!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
5 pages and only 2-3 posts on the actual hotel rooms themselves, sheesh!
The text about the rooms looks as small as the rooms themselves.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:41 pm

Trying to decide between this and IC London Park Lane using points.

I was surprised to see that the IC Park Lane was almost twice the price of the Westminster for the dates I'm considering. Am booking with points, so $/point seems better with Park Lane because of the price difference. However, Westminster looks very nice from what I can tell.

Any thoughts?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by teege
Trying to decide between this and IC London Park Lane using points.

I was surprised to see that the IC Park Lane was almost twice the price of the Westminster for the dates I'm considering. Am booking with points, so $/point seems better with Park Lane because of the price difference. However, Westminster looks very nice from what I can tell.

Any thoughts?
It's a new hotel, still getting established. I've never stayed in the Park Lane property, but would expect prices at this place to spiral quite quickly. Don't get me wrong - it's very nice, but there was no shortage of teething problems last week!

Oh, and I evidently had a nice big room on the 5th floor, not a 'classic' which was a nice touch (although I must have spent a max of 2hrs in there when I wasn't asleep!)

Again, not having stayed at the Park Lane property it's difficult to call, but my concern with the Westminster one - especially in a 'cheap' room would be you end up on the 2nd floor overlooking a courtyard (i.e. flat roof) with very little natural light.

As for getting there - the hotel is right across the street from St James Park tube station. Like 20 paces! Assuming you are travelling light and are outside of the rush-hour, take the Piccadilly Line then change to District at Barons Court. If you've got lots of bags get a cab (look in the UK forum). If not and it's rush-hour, take the express to Paddington and black cab from there.

Arguably if you're staying at the IC, you can afford to budget for Ł100 each way in a transfer. If you do it by tube, good on you!

Last edited by Swiss Tony; Dec 13, 2012 at 3:30 pm
Old Dec 14, 2012, 3:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Just OK (so far)

Just checked into the hotel as an RA using a BOGO. Booked Executive Room, upgraded to club room with club benefits. Received what must be a classic room on the "club" floor 6th floor. Club is actually located on the 1st floor.

Took heatrow express to paddington, then taxi. taxi fare was 13 GBP. As soon as taxi pulled up, doorman sprung into action, graded my bags, and whisked me inside.

Front desk agent,who struggled a bit with English, was very polite and tried to process the check-in quickly. You could tell she was new and likely using a new system.

Once in my room, I was amazed by the small size of the actual living area of the room. The use of space could have been more thoughtful. My room is basically a floor through, so there is a window in the bedroom and another in the bathroom. The windows do not open. The window by the bed overlooks the back of the hotel and the garbage bins and the back of other buildings. I am not sure if any of the rooms have a great view. The room is not designed very well. The entry foyer is too large and takes up too much space. The bathroom, which is larger than the actual bedroom, wastes a significant amount of space. The king size bed is comfortable, but there is little space on the sides and in front. Furnishing look somewhat high end and towels are plush.

I will post more later, including pictures. But, based on initial impression, while it is always nice to try a new hotel (and this one sure feels new), I am not sure I will return. My regular hotel is the CHurchill, and while not perfect, it does feel a bit more upscale and polished overall.

BTW, having stayed several times at the IC Park Lane, I would rate the newly refubed rooms there much higher than at the Westminster.

Last edited by SethLevy; Dec 14, 2012 at 4:13 am
Old Dec 14, 2012, 4:35 am

Programs: IHG
I'm there tomorrow. How's the lounge?
Old Dec 15, 2012, 5:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Originally Posted by turner32
I'm there tomorrow. How's the lounge?
Lounge is very nice, rather small however. As you enter, there is a small reception/concierge desk, then a small siting room with tables and lounge chairs, very low to floor. As you enter on the right, there is the main dining area, which only has about 11 tables for 2. Next on the right is a conference room and to the left is the small buffet area.

Did not go in the evening yet, but this morning for breakfast, lounge was empty, only myself and one other couple. No hot food items (but I overheard the agent tell the couple they could order from the menu, I was not offered this option and did not ask either).

Was surprised no one was in the lounge on a saturday at 9 am- 10 am.

All in all, nice lounge. Given its size, I assume they will not offer it to RA without a fee or booked Exec Rm.

Day 2, and no RA amenity, card, etc has been delivered to my room.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 5:15 am

Literally just been in to have a look! Really nice, quite intimate. Nicer than Park Lane. Might see you in there later, Seth!
Old Dec 15, 2012, 9:14 am

The minibar is abysmal. Its half full for starters, then 4 miniatures, 2 beers, lots of coke and water. Oh, and a small carton of milk?!! No champagne either...
Old Dec 15, 2012, 9:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by turner32
The minibar is abysmal. Its half full for starters, then 4 miniatures, 2 beers, lots of coke and water. Oh, and a small carton of milk?!! No champagne either...
At least you got 4 miniatures, I only had 3 miniatures, (gin, scotch and cognac). They did not replace the miniatures today, just the water and coke. I had no carton of milk, must be left by a prior guest.

Lights are very hard to figure out. The carpet is already beginning to fray in my room on the edges between the foyer section (which is not carpeted and the carpeted section where the bed is located).
Old Dec 15, 2012, 9:33 am

And I thought 4 miniatures was bad.. Its like a quarter of the Park Lane minibar. The milk was put there in between us arriving, going out, and returning.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 6:55 pm

Staying in 3 rooms, 2 nights each in May 2013.

Is there a difference between "Classic" room and "Superior King"? Logged into my account and looks like we got upgraded? Didn't realize a hotel this new would have a "Classic" category.

Any pictures of the Superior King? Tripadvisor not helpful so far. Thanks.

Last edited by lilpooh108; Dec 21, 2012 at 7:02 pm
Old Jan 4, 2013, 4:46 pm

Smile

just returned from IC Westminster.
Hotel is OK, nothing extraordinary. Probably what you would expect from 200L room in a brand new property in London.

AMB upgrade to superior (rather small) from classic on check-in and they arrived with fruits in the evening. breakfast is ok. they honored late checkout for me (I did check out at 3PM).

location is decent and that is probably the best of it all.

overall I am happy, but not sure I will be returning thou.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 2:11 pm

I agree. It's not living up to the initial hype, despite what you might read on Tripadvisor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.