Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC London Westminster Master Thread (leaving IHG August 31, 2014)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: IHG
Let them be as much like IC Sydney as they like. I'll be at Park Lane.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 3:27 pm
uk1
Suspended

If RAs get a one level upgrade I guess that must mean a one-level downgrade for plain Ambassadors.

I wonder why they decided not only to not go overboard but actually seem rather frugal in their welcome to RAs when newly opening? And the excuse re the lack of mini-bar content simply doesn't sound credible. Easy to get and would have been delivered whenever they wanted it and way in advance of opening due to the profit motive. Is the lack of upgrade goodness when empty and the minibar excuse for an RA room coincidental? Wonder if what they said was true or not .....?

Strange.

Omens?

Last edited by uk1; Nov 30, 2012 at 3:32 pm
Old Nov 30, 2012, 3:34 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by turner32
Let them be as much like IC Sydney as they like. I'll be at Park Lane.
I wouldn't come to any conclusion just yet.
The jury is just not out till we see the norm and they are up to speed
The Guest Relations manager came by to introduce herself and she is a sensational individual
Also the GM Of the hotel came by at dinner and personally introduced himself
The server Francesco is a really nice(and good sense of humor)
Also passionate about food and wine
He knew exactly how and what to order in the restaurant called The Blue Boar
There is a fun loving classy beautiful crowd of British folks dining in the restaurant.Menu has some nice choices on it.
The food is very nice though they are a bit understaffed and cooking execution isn't quite there just yet but showing reasonablly strong promise

I'm holding hope that the property will be Ambassador friendly
The lobby area isn't my taste but the bar and restaurant are really well done
This has the potential to be my go to property but if lounge access is out once opened I'll be back at the Hyatt Churchill my usual go to hotel
The room standard here at the IC is vastly superior here in every way!!
Never been to the Park Lane

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Nov 30, 2012 at 3:49 pm
Old Nov 30, 2012, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by uk1
If RAs get a one level upgrade I guess that must mean a one-level downgrade for plain Ambassadors.

I wonder why they decided not only to not go overboard but actually seem rather frugal in their welcome to RAs when newly opening? And the excuse re the lack of mini-bar content simply doesn't sound credible. Easy to get and would have been delivered whenever they wanted it and way in advance of opening due to the profit motive. Is the lack of upgrade goodness when empty and the minibar excuse for an RA room coincidental? Wonder if what they said was true or not .....?

Strange.

Omens?
Having met some of the team I'm going to give them the benefit of trusting them
Reason being they weren't set to open till end of First week in December
If the mini bar is empty at or before Christmas red flags are up
They can't make profit if they don't stock the bar so I think the response is fair enough
Ambassador recognition is another fascinating thing we will all be monitoring
If that goes well ill drop a serious amount on the table over the long haul
So far Hyatt has had me in the London market for the past 7 years
Old Nov 30, 2012, 9:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Having met some of the team I'm going to give them the benefit of trusting them
Reason being they weren't set to open till end of First week in December
If the mini bar is empty at or before Christmas red flags are up
They can't make profit if they don't stock the bar so I think the response is fair enough
Ambassador recognition is another fascinating thing we will all be monitoring
If that goes well ill drop a serious amount on the table over the long haul
So far Hyatt has had me in the London market for the past 7 years
Can you comment on why you think the room standard at this propoerty is so high and how does it compare (perhpas with an example) to the Churchill (where I give most of my business as well). Thanks!
Old Dec 1, 2012, 1:42 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
I have an award reservation for 3 nights in February at the 30K rate. Just checked today and it shows upgraded from Classic to King Executive. 5 sqm extra space for me then.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 1:50 am
uk1
Suspended

My Feb reservation (plain Amb) on points has been upgraded to SUPERIOR ROOM KING but my subsequent later reservations remain unchanged .....
Old Dec 1, 2012, 2:24 am

Spacious and comfortable by London standards

Originally Posted by SethLevy
Can you comment on why you think the room standard at this propoerty is so high and how does it compare (perhpas with an example) to the Churchill (where I give most of my business as well). Thanks!
Great question
First with the exception of Montagu the restaurant which has had outstanding service and food as well as its share of inconsistent experiencs
I remain a huge fan of the Hyatt Churchill and its team members despite aging well kept rooms
Michael Gray the GM is brilliant and there is no question I will be back even if they have college dorm rooms. It's what I call being in a really good relationship
Don't break what's working
The room standard at the Churchill can not compare
Complimentary club access is what makes the Hyatt IMHO for top tier elites
Having said that and back to your question the studio suite is vastly superior to
InterCon Times Square with no lounge and my US faves The newer InterCon San Francisco

The lobby area of the Westminster and some of the gawdy chandeliers turned me off originally.I thought the House of Parliment sculpture tacky with its monsters and or cartoon characters.really odd.Hope many appreciate it
I didn't get it at all.My apologies to the artist.Maybe you have to be a local to appreciate more?

Once taking the magnificent new elevators up to the 5th floor it all came together
There are approx 256 rooms and 44 suites making the hotel small, private and elegant
Once inside the new IC room the Churchill can not even compare
The showers are Hahnsgrohe a premium shower head/fixture
The shower doors are water tight
Power strips have us electric outlets no need for an adapter

The marble vanities from the toilet the faucets and all fixtures scream high end
Power curtains controlled from the bedside
Electric do not disturb or make up the room signals by the front door
The Flat screen tv disappears into the flush glass panel of the most beautiful light up
wood frame and treatment I have ever seen in a hotel room
New York Times Square interCon was not a high end project it can't compare
The London studio suite feels like a suite /spacious not a corner large room!
Did they go over the top high end no but did the right thing overall
Some of the bathroom wall materials are imitation stone where it really doesn't matter
And the thermostats are confusing and hard to control as beautiful as they look
The bathroom sliding door is wide and thick and somewhat unnecessary
I'd venture to say it gives London a taste of any world class modern city in the world.You don't know you are in a historic city it's screaming modern with a taste of luxury
Folks are going to stay here because the room product alone will make it a destination hotel

The deal killer for me may likely be the hotels upgrade policies for Royal Ambassadors
From early conversations it's not looking good
London historically likes to charge excessively for everything
If it weren't for most American programs we wouldn't see all the complimentary club access around the world for top tier members and suite upgrades
My gut instinct is that when the club opens they are going to want to charge their best customers(a big mistake) unless paying for a club floor room or booking a suite which
Or being upgraded from the category below a room that would upgrade you into one of those room types

As for the upgrade policy at present the one category upgrade is unacceptable
especially if they are going to deny club access
Or worse paying a supplemental entrance charge for two people when I am one person typically traveling for leisure or work
How they handle their policies will make or break my personal business going forward and like I stated I think they are going to milk the cow for all it's worth while they are new
I dont see this being a hostile hotel like IC Sydney but certainly text book otherwise and the room standard blows the tired overpriced and stingy IC out of the water.at least when you pay here you are getting a nice product!

Taking it off the RA platform this is hands down the nicest hotel I have been in
ever in London room standard wise and I have been in far larger room and suites and grander more elegant lobbies
They got the rooms right here and raised the bar in the city for most hoteliers to compete with
I see far more renovations elsewhere in the pipeline as a result of this launch

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Dec 1, 2012 at 2:35 am
Old Dec 1, 2012, 4:58 am

Great question
First with the exception of Montagu the restaurant which has had outstanding service and food as well as its share of inconsistent experiencs
I remain a huge fan of the Hyatt Churchill and its team members despite aging well kept rooms
Michael Gray the GM is brilliant and there is no question I will be back even if they have college dorm rooms. It's what I call being in a really good relationship
Don't break what's working
The room standard at the Churchill can not compare
Complimentary club access is what makes the Hyatt IMHO for top tier elites
Having said that and back to your question the studio suite is vastly superior to
InterCon Times Square with no lounge and my US faves The newer InterCon San Francisco

The lobby area of the Westminster and some of the gawdy chandeliers turned me off originally.I thought the House of Parliment sculpture tacky with its monsters and or cartoon characters.really odd.Hope many appreciate it
I didn't get it at all.My apologies to the artist.Maybe you have to be a local to appreciate more?

Once taking the magnificent new elevators up to the 5th floor it all came together
There are approx 256 rooms and 44 suites making the hotel small, private and elegant
Once inside the new IC room the Churchill can not even compare
The showers are Hahnsgrohe a premium shower head/fixture
The shower doors are water tight
Power strips have us electric outlets no need for an adapter

The marble vanities from the toilet the faucets and all fixtures scream high end
Power curtains controlled from the bedside
Electric do not disturb or make up the room signals by the front door
The Flat screen tv disappears into the flush glass panel of the most beautiful light up
wood frame and treatment I have ever seen in a hotel room
New York Times Square interCon was not a high end project it can't compare
The London studio suite feels like a suite /spacious not a corner large room!
Did they go over the top high end no but did the right thing overall
Some of the bathroom wall materials are imitation stone where it really doesn't matter
And the thermostats are confusing and hard to control as beautiful as they look
The bathroom sliding door is wide and thick and somewhat unnecessary
I'd venture to say it gives London a taste of any world class modern city in the world.You don't know you are in a historic city it's screaming modern with a taste of luxury
Folks are going to stay here because the room product alone will make it a destination hotel

The deal killer for me may likely be the hotels upgrade policies for Royal Ambassadors
From early conversations it's not looking good
London historically likes to charge excessively for everything
If it weren't for most American programs we wouldn't see all the complimentary club access around the world for top tier members and suite upgrades
My gut instinct is that when the club opens they are going to want to charge their best customers(a big mistake) unless paying for a club floor room or booking a suite which
Or being upgraded from the category below a room that would upgrade you into one of those room types

As for the upgrade policy at present the one category upgrade is unacceptable
especially if they are going to deny club access
Or worse paying a supplemental entrance charge for two people when I am one person typically traveling for leisure or work
How they handle their policies will make or break my personal business going forward and like I stated I think they are going to milk the cow for all it's worth while they are new
I dont see this being a hostile hotel like IC Sydney but certainly text book otherwise and the room standard blows the tired overpriced and stingy IC out of the water.at least when you pay here you are getting a nice product!

Taking it off the RA platform this is hands down the nicest hotel I have been in
ever in London room standard wise and I have been in far larger room and suites and grander more elegant lobbies
They got the rooms right here and raised the bar in the city for most hoteliers to compete with
I see far more renovations elsewhere in the pipeline as a result of this launch
Just checked my reward night booking for tonight and it shows I have been upgraded to a studio suite (being a RA).

I am en route to the hotel, and will try and upload a few pics when I get there (as I only have my iphone)
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Savage25
I have an award reservation for 3 nights in February at the 30K rate. Just checked today and it shows upgraded from Classic to King Executive. 5 sqm extra space for me then.
Wow, me too. Hopefully there will be further upgrades upon check in.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by heer84
Just checked my reward night booking for tonight and it shows I have been upgraded to a studio suite (being a RA).

I am en route to the hotel, and will try and upload a few pics when I get there (as I only have my iphone)
congrats
thanks for the good news
I had a long conversation with the team here about the importance of upgrading
Revenue as well as award
If the hotel keeps that consistency it's enough to move more if not all of my business here over time

I think the studio suite is excellent especially by London standards
In my case I have no view but dont care.quiet beats view every time for this guest
I want a comfortable spacious beautiful room and they delivered at least this time hooray!
Now about the noisy guests over my studio on the 6th floor are they rugby players practicing?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 5:03 pm

Can't post photos from my iphone however I made a video and uploaded it to YouTube. The link is below. Hopefully it works on desktops as its the mobile site page

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RGe0i2ThWGU
Old Dec 1, 2012, 5:31 pm

Can't post photos from my iphone however I made a video and uploaded it to YouTube. The link is below. Hopefully it works on desktops as its the mobile site page

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RGe0i2ThWGU
Hey Mate
Welcome to the hotel the good news is your here and your room is nice
The bad news is your not in the studio suite I am in which is far nicer and more spacious

I will try and question the hotel to understand the room types better to figure out what we are all in
Maybe I have a corner studio suite or there are different size studios
This one is way more high end with floor to ceiling glass wall for tv you can't even see the Tv
Not bragging just can't understand that they could be called the same thing
Old Dec 1, 2012, 5:45 pm

Hey Mate
Welcome to the hotel the good news is your here and your room is nice
The bad news is your not in the studio suite I am in which is far nicer and more spacious

I will try and question the hotel to understand the room types better to figure out what we are all in
Maybe I have a corner studio suite or there are different size studios
This one is way more high end with floor to ceiling glass wall for tv you can't even see the Tv
Not bragging just can't understand that they could be called the same thing
Nice, I like to see how yours compares. You might have received an even better one because you are staying on a paying rate. Either way, I really like the room and the finishing is top class. I briefly met one of the interior designers in the hotel bar and he was telling me how much the hotel spent on furnishing. A couple of examples are:

Leather boot lamps in the bar - £1500 each
Green leather sofa in the bar - £4000

I will enquire about the mini bar and if it will be more stocked up in the future, however this hotel is awesome...when I say next door to New Scotland Yard....I mean literally right next door!
Old Dec 1, 2012, 6:03 pm

Nice, I like to see how yours compares. You might have received an even better one because you are staying on a paying rate. Either way, I really like the room and the finishing is top class. I briefly met one of the interior designers in the hotel bar and he was telling me how much the hotel spent on furnishing. A couple of examples are:

Leather boot lamps in the bar - £1500 each
Green leather sofa in the bar - £4000

I will enquire about the mini bar and if it will be more stocked up in the future, however this hotel is awesome...when I say next door to New Scotland Yard....I mean literally right next door!
And there is a Starbucks across the street also pretty original
This is a great InterCon!its what New York should have been but they cut 1000 cost corners to make it just satisfactory
They spent enough here to do the rooms right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.