Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Intercontinental in Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2015, 4:42 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I agree, for the price point of the Strings, the rooms are quite compact. Smallest of the 3 ICs in Tokyo I would say, at least from my experience. IC Osaka ones are nice size and well designed, but that is OT.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 6:57 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Which one of the ICs is most conveniently located for an overnight in Tokyo? Proximity to good local eats and fancy restaurants is a big plus.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:33 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Which one of the ICs is most conveniently located for an overnight in Tokyo? Proximity to good local eats and fancy restaurants is a big plus.
Depends on from where you'll get into Tokyo and from where you will leave Tokyo.

HTB.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:36 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Narita and Narita.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:23 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The Strings is very close (very walkable unless huge luggage) and quasi connected via a walkway to Shinagawa station where the NEX from NRT stops. Usually when going in / out of NRT we stay there, but preferences differ and some of the other ICs are also reachable via the airport limo bus option.

There is plenty of good local food inside and around the station though opinions will differ based on personal preferences.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 1:52 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Narita and Narita.
Strings is easy to reach with the NEX and Keisei lines. Rooms are small. Lots of food places around.

Tokyo Bay is easy to reach by Limousine bus but not so much going on near the hotel. There was an expensive restaurant right next to it, however.

IC ANA in Roppongi is easy to reach by Limousine bus and has a lot going on nearby, including lots of expensive restaurants. The waffles at the IC are made from stone, however

HTB.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:55 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Strings it is then thanks! I don't mind the small rooms when there's a big world outside to explore.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 7:04 pm

Book a 3 night stay in the String for my travel to Tokyo in March. I reserved the least price single room for one person and been upgraded one level to classic room(currently spire A). I will report what really is later.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 7:16 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Please do! Photos would be awesome too!
Old Feb 19, 2016, 5:37 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
So if points are no object, The Strings looks like the best choice? Can anyone comment on the ocean view from IC Tokyo Bay or that iconic IC Yokohama Grand?

And if you're a lowly Gold, it doesn't really matter which IC I stay at because I'm not getting anything for free anyways right?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Originally Posted by msp3
So if points are no object, The Strings looks like the best choice? Can anyone comment on the ocean view from IC Tokyo Bay or that iconic IC Yokohama Grand?
I stayed at IC Tokyo Bay several times. I either got a nice view of the office building next door, or a nice bay+bridge view. It lights up at night and is fairly pretty.

I stayed at IC Yokohama a little more than 5 years ago, and got a nice view of distant amusing park. The ferris wheel light up at night.

Both can be reached by public transportation and a little walking.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Thomas Huang
Book a 3 night stay in the String for my travel to Tokyo in March. I reserved the least price single room for one person and been upgraded one level to classic room(currently spire A). I will report what really is later.
How was it? Thinking of booking a night at The Strings for later this year.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by bradcc
I did choose 2 for number of people. However, the room type says "1 SGL BED 1 PERSON" while the rate details says 2 persons maximum, which is quite confusing. Did an online chat with IHG and they assured me that the rate indicates 2 persons max so I should be safe, although I am still a bit concerned given the strange room type.
Did you successfully check in with 2 ppl at the Strings? Also how was the room? I am a Plat, and am a bit concerned how small the room/bed might be.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by gtu2004
Did you successfully check in with 2 ppl at the Strings? Also how was the room? I am a Plat, and am a bit concerned how small the room/bed might be.
I stayed there a few days ago with wife as a Plat Ambassador, and was upgraded to what the clerk called a double room on the top floor. It was not a suite, but is plenty big for two people.

It is very easy to get to Shinagawa Station, expecilly on the N'EX from Narita. I used to stay at the Tokyo Bay Intercontinental when arriving at Haneda, but I've decided Strings is better. From Haneda, I would take the monorail to the end, and then walk into the adjacent JR station and go on the JR circle line local train a couple of stops to Shinagawa. (The Tokyo Bay Intercontinental is only about a three block walk coming out of the monorail station. Strings is actually about the same amount of walking because the Shinagawa JR station is so huge.)

The trick is to find The Strings when exiting the station. Take the east exit (Kanda). Stay on the elevated walkway. You'll see two very tall buildings connected to the walkway. Walk to the one on the right. Continue to the middle of the building. Walk past the mini 7-11 shop into the building. Turn left down a short corridor. Take the elevator up to the check-in. There is also a map online showing how to find it when coming out of the station

Last edited by Bowgie; Oct 16, 2016 at 2:04 pm Reason: slight correction to directions
Old Oct 15, 2016, 12:37 am

We usually stay at the IC Strings when in Tokyo as we fly in and out of NRT and the proximity to Shinagawa station in combination with direct link via NEX is very convenient. We also need Shinkansen access and local JR so location is perfect for our purposes. On top our company got a good corp rate for King Deluxe rooms in the low 20ies with breakfast included so it works out well.

We stayed at all the other ICs too, IC ANA, Tokyo Bay and even Yokohama and none are as convenient as the Strings for quick and direct access to most of public transport options. Rooms are more compact for sure amd views less inspiring than say Tokyo Bay, but it really depends on your plans for your time in Tokyo and where you need to be / want to go. Also the Strings tends to be the most expensive on cash rates and offers the smallest rooms for redemption.

If you are worried about the Sgl Bed, 1 Person comment, all I can say is that I got a Double Bed room assigned on my last stay 2 weeks ago on a points booking. However, upfront I highlighted to them that a Single Bed would be a violation of IHG Rewards redemption rules which specifies Double Bed or King Bed to be provided.

I was told that the single bed supposedly is 1.4m wide, but can't verify it. Ask if unsure, they do respond within reasonable time. YMMV.

For points redemptions, IC ANA offers larger rooms and the airport limousine bus stops at the hotel which is also convenient. Location is in the midst of a livelier area (Roppongi) and access to trains is a bit of a walk, but nothing bad or very far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.