Wiki Posts
Search

Which Intercontinental in Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Originally Posted by demue
Keisei also goes from HND (Haneda)..
Actually, this train that goes from HND is the Keikyuu Line. Very complicated, but that's what it is. Thus at the Strings IC Tokyo Shinagawa, the signs will say the Keikyuu Line.

Keikyuu Line from HND to Sengaku (one stop after Shinagawa), from there it's part of the subway system (but not the Tokyo Metro) to Oshiage, to finally become the Keisei Line to Narita Airport. Weird, creepy, strange, but yes it is the same train.

Last edited by Spock Seat; Apr 10, 2015 at 10:02 pm
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by 355F1
One very basic question is: Are there any signs in English at the train stations?
Most of the signs have Japanese and English (some Korean and Mandarin) at most of the stations, but not all. Stations not frequented by foreigners and some of the train-line maps above the ticket dispensers don't. That is fun! Take the local train (the Chou Line) to Yamanachi Prefecture and you'll know what I am saying.

If you speak, read, and listen to Japanese you'll have no problem.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I saw the fees associated with it. I have no problem paying those.

If I can figure out how to take the RER to the Metro from CDG and get into Paris I am sure I can figure out how to get around Japan.

haha....hopefully....

Yikes....I get into NRT at 3:20pm on a Friday....and my flight leaves Monday at 5pm. Traffic.....????

I will definitely look at all that! Thank you! ^^^

One very basic question is: Are there any signs in English at the train stations?
Bad traffic.

Yes, there are English signs in most the train stations in Tokyo, except that they do not necessary pronounced as what you think... (the accent part is different). Get a metro / train map that has both English and Japanese names on the lines and stations should help. Keep in mind there are more than one company running the Metro system in Tokyo. Can be confusing especially when trying to figure out what pass to buy.

Also try to avoid change lines in major interchanges. Ginza comes to mind. I feel the long walk is at least 1/2 mile to change line and the passage can be really crowded.

About the ANA location - there are 2 metro stations nearby. The one that seems to be closer to the hotel would make you do a looooong walk underground to get to the platform. If I remember it correctly, there is a station that is at the street corner after you pass the adjacent office buildings at the opposite direction from the escalator entrance of the hotel. It has a much shorter walk underground to the platform. It is a different station, and may even be on a different line. This station is not obvious to find, kind of "hidden" at the street corner. May be Spock Seat would know what I talk about as he seems very familiar with Tokyo.

Last edited by Happy; Apr 10, 2015 at 11:43 pm
Old Apr 11, 2015, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
If I remember it correctly, there is a station that is at the street corner after you pass the adjacent office buildings at the opposite direction from the escalator entrance of the hotel. It has a much shorter walk underground to the platform. It is a different station, and may even be on a different line. This station is not obvious to find, kind of "hidden" at the street corner. May be Spock Seat would know what I talk about as he seems very familiar with Tokyo.
If you are referring to the IC Strings at Shinagawa, there are no Metro stations. The easiest way is just get out of the elevator one floor above the garage, walk along the upper platform facing west and walk right into the JR station. Shinagawa is mainly JR including the Shinkansen. The Keikyuu Line is on the opposite side of the huge JR platform. The Strings elevator stops at only three (3) floors, from which the lobby is labeled as the 26th floor.

You may be thinking about the ground level entrance to Shinagawa which has all of those specialty shops and supermarkets. I love it there, BTW.

But if you are referring to the IC Tokyo Bay, they have an elevated monorail that is also a short walk on their upper platform (same floor as the concierge---it's been a while since I stayed there), two stops to Shinbashi----one stop to The Conrad! LOL ^
Old Apr 11, 2015, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spock Seat
If you are referring to the IC Strings at Shinagawa, there are no Metro stations. The easiest way is just get out of the elevator one floor above the garage, walk along the upper platform facing west and walk right into the JR station. Shinagawa is mainly JR including the Shinkansen. The Keikyuu Line is on the opposite side of the huge JR platform. The Strings elevator stops at only three (3) floors, from which the lobby is labeled as the 26th floor.

You may be thinking about the ground level entrance to Shinagawa which has all of those specialty shops and supermarkets. I love it there, BTW.

But if you are referring to the IC Tokyo Bay, they have an elevated monorail that is also a short walk on their upper platform (same floor as the concierge---it's been a while since I stayed there), two stops to Shinbashi----one stop to The Conrad! LOL ^
No. I am referring to ANA which is the hotel the OP will stay for 3 nights, trying to help him on the local transportation options near ANA.

Just booked a 3-night stay at the ANA Tokyo using my Ambassador Free Weekend Night certificate.
The other 2 properties have no relevance to the OP and the transportation options around the other 2 properties are meaningless to him. Therefore I fail to understand what are the points on harping on Shinagawa location because that clearly is not what OP has chosen to book.

I knew there are 2 metro stations near ANA, may belong to 2 lines. I am too lazy to find out. OP can consult the metro map.

One station is fairly obvious and mentioned on hotel website in the past (last time we stayed there was 2009!) but we discovered another station which was much more convenient and much less walk - it actually would mean to get off the metro one station PASS the one closest to ANA, and then walk backward, above the ground, in much shorter distance then the "right" station underground.

Since you have demonstrated much of your knowledge to the details of Tokyo transportation (as the example of the peculiarity of the Keisei line) I thought you might know about those 2 metro stations near ANA.

We like IC Tokyo Bay. Will be there in late May for one night primarily we will fly HND-ITM and IC is very close to the terminal of the monorail? that goes to HND. IIRC can access the MOnorail from above ground walkways from IC Tokyo Bay. I am glad we have secured our 35K reward night several weeks ago as now not only there is no availability, the pay rate is over 40K Yen, more expensive than either ANA or Shinagawa which we never understand the appeal. The only advantage is the easy transportation especially when it comes to Shinkansen for folks are totally dependent on English signage. Otherwise, dont see what appeals that location has, as one must take transportation if one wants to go into any part of Tokyo that is more lively and more interesting.

Last edited by Happy; Apr 11, 2015 at 4:44 pm
Old Apr 11, 2015, 6:14 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

We like IC Tokyo Bay. Will be there in late May for one night primarily we will fly HND-ITM and IC is very close to the terminal of the monorail? that goes to HND. IIRC can access the MOnorail from above ground walkways from IC Tokyo Bay.
Maybe I'm misreading what you're saying, but be advised that IC Tokyo Bay is NOT connected to the Tokyo Monorail. It is right next to an elevated train, but that's the Yurikamome line. The hotel is reasonably close (10 minute walk) to Hamamatsucho station, which is the terminus of the monorail. With luggage or in bad weather, you would likely not want to walk this.

IMO, the best hotel for NRT-HND connections is indeed the IC Strings (as suggested above) because of its location on top of the Access Express train line. Outside the IGH chain, the Conrad has the same advantage.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jpdx
Maybe I'm misreading what you're saying, but be advised that IC Tokyo Bay is NOT connected to the Tokyo Monorail. It is right next to an elevated train, but that's the Yurikamome line. The hotel is reasonably close (10 minute walk) to Hamamatsucho station, which is the terminus of the monorail. With luggage or in bad weather, you would likely not want to walk this.

IMO, the best hotel for NRT-HND connections is indeed the IC Strings (as suggested above) because of its location on top of the Access Express train line. Outside the IGH chain, the Conrad has the same advantage.
You are right, I confuse the line to Odaiba with the line to HND.

We walked that walk before. With a roller, it is totally manageable. Of course if it rains hard, that would be tough.

We are not using NRT at all on this trip. Flying in HKG-HND for 4 days then leaving HND-ITM. Conrad has ridiculous point level.
I dont understand why Hilton Tokyo Bay has low cash price but high pt level.

Last edited by Happy; Apr 11, 2015 at 7:47 pm
Old Apr 11, 2015, 8:27 pm

No. I am referring to ANA which is the hotel the OP will stay for 3 nights, trying to help him on the local transportation options near ANA..
I got lost in the thread and did not know there was a 3rd choice here. So my bad, my bad on that. :-:

You meant Tameikesanno station that connects with the Ginza Line and Nanboku Line. I can see the entrance via my Tokyo 23-Ku book (I had to pull it out of the bookcase). That station also connects with two other lines (Chiyoda and Maranouchi) at Kokkaigijidomae station.

An underground labyrinth. I never stayed at that hotel, however. LOL I'm a Kyosumi Shirakawa kinda guy 'til they closed the Pizza La over there.

Thanks for the clarification. ^
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier PLT, Hilton Honors, Diamond, Priority Club - Platinum, SPG Platinum
WHich Hotel Intercontinental Tokyo

I am travelling to Tokyo for the first time with my family en-route to Bali in November. We will be there for two days. Which IC is best for a family? I'm thinking of the Intercontinetal ANA. Also I'd like some advice on easiest connections to Narita. Is the hotel easily accessible by train? or is it better with taxi.. This is our first time to Tokyo.. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Timelord.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 12:34 pm

There are a bunch of existing threads about this, but briefly:

1) You don't want to take a cab from NRT airport to any downtown Tokyo hotel, because NRT is far away from the city and you're looking at a $200-ish fare. Trains or buses are cheaper (but still some $20pp each way).

2) Opinions are split about what's the best IC in Tokyo. IMO, ANA is not the best option for tourists (bad location, poor access to transit). I'd recommend IC Tokyo Bay (view) or IC Strings (most upscale); both are located closer to transportation options.

3) Depending on which hotel you pick, the train will take about 60-80 minutes. IC Strings is located right next to a major station, IC Tokyo Bay requires a $20 cab ride.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: IHG Royal Ambassador
There are a bunch of existing threads about this, but briefly:

1) You don't want to take a cab from NRT airport to any downtown Tokyo hotel, because NRT is far away from the city and you're looking at a $200-ish fare. Trains or buses are cheaper (but still some $20pp each way).

2) Opinions are split about what's the best IC in Tokyo. IMO, ANA is not the best option for tourists (bad location, poor access to transit). I'd recommend IC Tokyo Bay (view) or IC Strings (most upscale); both are located closer to transportation options.

3) Depending on which hotel you pick, the train will take about 60-80 minutes. IC Strings is located right next to a major station, IC Tokyo Bay requires a $20 cab ride.
I don't agree this comment. ANA is the BEST option for tourists. Reasons are below:

1.) Limousine Bus connects directly from each airports.
2.) Easy to access Roppongi, Omotesandoh, Ginza, Asakusa, Akihabara, Ueno, and Shibuya by metro.
3.) Best services in Tokyo's InterContinental. (But you should book executive deluxe room or higher. Don't book classic room, if you are not Ambassador.)
4.) Lot of excellent dining options inside or outside of the hotel.

Other IC's characteristics are below:
Strings: Easy to connect JR station if you want to go outside of Tokyo by Shinkansen Express. But no direct transportation from each airports. Dining options are poor.

Tokyo Bay: View is the best. But service standard is poor. This hotel is focusing Japanese domestic guests. Very small number of foreign languages speaker. Very poor location for public transportation. Dining options are hotel inside only.

If you don't hesitate to take a taxi (But so expensive in Japan!) every IC's are in nice location to go to major sightseeing place. But if you prefer public transportation, absolutely recommend ANA Tokyo.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Raynyan
Strings: But no direct transportation from each airports.
Right, Shinagawa station is really inconvenient to reach from NRT; it's not like both Narita Express and Access Express stop there.

Originally Posted by Raynyan
Tokyo Bay:Very poor location for public transportation.
I'd say it's far more convenient for a first-time visitor than the ANA IC. A lot of people don't want to mess with the subway on a two-day, first-time visit. It's a 10-minute walk to the Yamanote line, which isn't much worse than ANA IC to the metro.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Just an update to some of the previous posts in that the Tokyo Bay IC now gives upgrades on award stays including Club access for RA's.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 2:47 pm

Right, Shinagawa station is really inconvenient to reach from NRT; it's not like both Narita Express and Access Express stop there.
But if using the Narita Express from the Strings, you can pick it up at Shinagawa Station. @:-)

http://www.eki-net.com/pc/jreast-shi...x_d/index.html

And the Keisei Access Express stops there too:

http://www.keisei.co.jp/keisei/tetud...le/#narita1_ae

I figure you meant that...lol
Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:04 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Just checking if for RA, would ANA Intercontinental grant club access now? The last few times when I stayed there, I wasn't granted.

I am booking a trip in Dec and thinking if I would want to book with breakfast or club access? If this is part of the benefits, then I can save the money for shopping.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.