Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Intercontinental in Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: IHG (Spire), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott (Lifetime Gold); Hyatt (Globalist)
Thanks for the responses so far. I think it is clear to see why I am having a problem deciding - 3 responses and basically each person has said a different IC is their favorite! Haha... I know it is all subjective in many ways, but I guess I need to figure out what we'll be doing and just pick from there... I already have Tokyo Bay reserved so hopefully there will be availability if I decide to switch.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed at Tokyo Bay last week and was very pleasantly surprised. I am a Gold Ambassador, so nothing much to write home about, and I was staying 2 nights on points, had a basic room booked, but they very sweetly put me in a lovely corner king room with views of the bay / river. Very comfortable room, fantastic bathroom with great view from the tub, and good stand alone shower. Gift was some chocolates, nice fruit plate and the water showed up both nights. Late check out went without a glitch. Didn't really have any need for anything else.

Location wise worked well - a few steps from one rail line, which goes over to the mall / entertainment island part - lovely view of the city, but the malls themselves were nothing special, very Americanized. Two stops the other way and you can connect to other major rail / subway lines, or there is a shuttle bus that runs to another station for connections, including the monorail to Haneda. Not a huge amount right by the hotel, but that's fine for me - there was a handy convenience store for snacks / drinks, that's all I needed.

I would certainly stay there again. The ANA is a decent location (I drove past it several times on my way elsewhere) but have no sense of the rooms etc.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 11:40 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by emma69
I stayed at Tokyo Bay last week...Location wise worked well - a few steps from one rail line,...another station for connections, including the monorail to Haneda.
I've stayed there a few times as a IHG Plat, which means nada for benefits.
There is nothing special or unique about this property -- EXCEPT
that it is very convenient to the end of Haneda monorail line and the Tokyo circle line. That is enough for me; the connection convenience from Haneda Airport and nothing more.

I have stayed at other Japan IHG properties, and have been underwhelmed insofar as Plat benefits. It's worse than the United States. Plat alone means nothing to IHG properties in Japan.

Last edited by Bowgie; Nov 9, 2014 at 2:32 pm
Old Nov 6, 2014, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by skeeze666
Thanks for the responses so far. I think it is clear to see why I am having a problem deciding - 3 responses and basically each person has said a different IC is their favorite! Haha... I know it is all subjective in many ways, but I guess I need to figure out what we'll be doing and just pick from there... I already have Tokyo Bay reserved so hopefully there will be availability if I decide to switch.
It is not clear to me why you have a problem deciding. Each person is unique and has his/her own preferences. If you want a good location, stay at the ANA. If you want a room with a view, pick Tokyo Bay. If you want a nice room and bathroom, go to The Strings. To me, the only ones who have a problem deciding are those who want all three.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 2:33 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Not too much current info on these hotels.

I just booked a very cheap 3-day MR/Mini-vacation over the July 4th Holiday Weekend.

I care about being close to nightlife and would prefer simple connection to NRT. But, I also do not mind walking at all to subway stations if I need to.

I'm a PL AMB if that makes any difference on UGs.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Originally Posted by 355F1
I care about being close to nightlife and would prefer simple connection to NRT. But, I also do not mind walking at all to subway stations if I need to.
The Strings IC at Shinagawa is your best bet based on your preferences. The Starbucks inside Shinagawa Station is unbeatable if you get no B-Fast. Shibuya from Shinagawa 17 minutes away on the train. If just going to Tokyo Station, there is a 2 stop Tokkaido train from Shinagawa----brilliant. To NRT? Shinagawa to Nippori (15 minutes) to Keisei Skyliner (39 minutes). Yes, 39 minutes to NRT from Nippori Station, no joke.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not too much current info on these hotels.

I just booked a very cheap 3-day MR/Mini-vacation over the July 4th Holiday Weekend.

I'm a PL AMB if that makes any difference on UGs.
See this map.

http://www.anaintercontinental-tokyo.jp/e/access/

ANA IC is at Roppongi.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3031.html
Old Apr 9, 2015, 12:05 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Nightlife - IC ANA

Transport Access - IC Strings

Taste's differ, but there is much better breakfast and coffee around Shinagawa Station than Starbucks. Also if you want to go from / to NRT instead of taking Keisei Liner and having to switch you can take the NEX all the way. Takes a tad longer, but more convenient and now NEX has 50% off offer for roundtrip for foreigners. YMMV.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 6:21 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Nightlife? That should be Roppongi, so the IC ANA. Take the Limousine bus to/from the airport.

HTB.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 11:22 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Happy
Excellent info! I will save these links!

Thank you!

I will have to do some research to see if there are any EDM clubs nearby!

Originally Posted by demue
Nightlife - IC ANA

Transport Access - IC Strings

Taste's differ, but there is much better breakfast and coffee around Shinagawa Station than Starbucks. Also if you want to go from / to NRT instead of taking Keisei Liner and having to switch you can take the NEX all the way. Takes a tad longer, but more convenient and now NEX has 50% off offer for roundtrip for foreigners. YMMV.
Not sure what Keisei and NEX are....but I will learn with my research soon!

Originally Posted by htb
Nightlife? That should be Roppongi, so the IC ANA. Take the Limousine bus to/from the airport.

HTB.
Limousine/bus? ?? Can you describe please?

OOOOH just looked it up. THey seriously have an airport shuttle being THAT far away from NRT??????? WoW.....hell yeah....that makes it super easy!!!
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

Thank you!

OOOOH just looked it up. THey seriously have an airport shuttle being THAT far away from NRT??????? WoW.....hell yeah....that makes it super easy!!!
Just make sure you understand that this is not provided by the hotel and is not free. You pay for that (approx. 6K JPY for a round-trip unless there are some special offers).

Keisei and NEX are trains and offer options to get from NRT to Tokyo. Keisei also goes from HND (Haneda).

Better do some research as you don't seem to be very familiar with travel to Japan overall. One good source for train schedules is Hyperdia. Just Google it.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you!

Sounds like you have some reading to do...

The Japan Guide would give you sufficient info on the transportation options between NRT and Tokyo Proper, as well as all the important info a visitor would need in order to make the visit a smooth and pleasant one.

NEX is the Narita Express Train operated by JR (Japan Railway the national company).

Keisei is a private train company which also runs slower trains between Narita and Tokyo Proper.

The Airport Bus can get stuck in traffic, making a 1.5 hour journey to 3+ hours in heavy traffic depends on what time in the day.

Personally I would take the train.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:50 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by demue
Just make sure you understand that this is not provided by the hotel and is not free. You pay for that (approx. 6K JPY for a round-trip unless there are some special offers).

Keisei and NEX are trains and offer options to get from NRT to Tokyo. Keisei also goes from HND (Haneda).

Better do some research as you don't seem to be very familiar with travel to Japan overall. One good source for train schedules is Hyperdia. Just Google it.
I saw the fees associated with it. I have no problem paying those.

If I can figure out how to take the RER to the Metro from CDG and get into Paris I am sure I can figure out how to get around Japan.

haha....hopefully....

Originally Posted by Happy
Sounds like you have some reading to do...

The Japan Guide would give you sufficient info on the transportation options between NRT and Tokyo Proper, as well as all the important info a visitor would need in order to make the visit a smooth and pleasant one.

NEX is the Narita Express Train operated by JR (Japan Railway the national company).

Keisei is a private train company which also runs slower trains between Narita and Tokyo Proper.

The Airport Bus can get stuck in traffic, making a 1.5 hour journey to 3+ hours in heavy traffic depends on what time in the day.

Personally I would take the train.
Yikes....I get into NRT at 3:20pm on a Friday....and my flight leaves Monday at 5pm. Traffic.....????

I will definitely look at all that! Thank you! ^^^

One very basic question is: Are there any signs in English at the train stations?
Old Apr 10, 2015, 6:10 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Le Club Silver, GHA Platinum
I've stayed at The Strings. Was a great location for transport and the suite I stayed in was awesome.

Yes there are English signs at the train station.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 12:02 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Just booked a 3-night stay at the ANA Tokyo using my Ambassador Free Weekend Night certificate.

I booked their highest non-suite room category of King Premier and am looking forward to seeing what they upgrade me to!

I couldn't find any AMB reviews in the Sticky thread regarding Hotel Experiences for the ANA, just the other 2 ICs.

WoooHooO!!!

Pretty stoked for Tokyo!!!!

Last edited by 355F1; Apr 10, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.