Wiki Posts
Search

Paris Questions - IC vs HI and more

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2012, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat
Paris Questions - IC vs HI and more

I am working on Plan B for a week in Paris next May. Have a reward week booked at Hilton ADT, but sounds like that may implode.

I have enough PC points to do a week at one of the Holiday Inns or half that at one of IC's - and then throw in about $1k to make up difference. My questions:
- Is it worth the $$ to spend a week at one of the IC's? Any recommendation on Le Grand versus Avenue Marceau?
- Several of the HI's look very nice - Trip Advisor reviews not so much. Especially regarding location - which, let's face it, is pretty impt in Paris. I am a city girl, so don't mind mingling with the locals - but still want that Paris feel when I walk out the door. Any experience with HI's?
- HI Notre Dame looks to be best option - any recent experience or comments? I do have PC Platinum status - worth anything there?
- Assume it would be worth ponying up the cash for Ambassador status if I go with IC? Upgrades, etc pretty reliable there?

Thanks much - I am really bumming about missing my Hilton diamond benefits (free internet, b'fast, lounge access) this stay. Wish PC offered a little more in that regard.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 6:57 am

Programs: IHG Plat; CC Gold
Originally Posted by umustbjokim
I am working on Plan B for a week in Paris next May. Have a reward week booked at Hilton ADT, but sounds like that may implode.

I have enough PC points to do a week at one of the Holiday Inns or half that at one of IC's - and then throw in about $1k to make up difference. My questions:
- Is it worth the $$ to spend a week at one of the IC's? Any recommendation on Le Grand versus Avenue Marceau?
- Several of the HI's look very nice - Trip Advisor reviews not so much. Especially regarding location - which, let's face it, is pretty impt in Paris. I am a city girl, so don't mind mingling with the locals - but still want that Paris feel when I walk out the door. Any experience with HI's?
- HI Notre Dame looks to be best option - any recent experience or comments? I do have PC Platinum status - worth anything there?
- Assume it would be worth ponying up the cash for Ambassador status if I go with IC? Upgrades, etc pretty reliable there?

Thanks much - I am really bumming about missing my Hilton diamond benefits (free internet, b'fast, lounge access) this stay. Wish PC offered a little more in that regard.

I am planning a trip to Paris with OH at some point. I have had a good look at the different options. I have decided on the Notre Dame HI, it looks to be in a good location for attractoins and the city feel, as well as resturants etc and it looks one of the better properties. However, this is personal opinion.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 7:29 am

While the IC Le Grand has a certain feeling of being posh, I actually prefer the locations of HI Notre-Dame and HI St-Germain. The Le Grand is in the center of a very busy commercial and arts section of town, but it's not a part of town where anyone actually lives. So, you won't find the local restaurants, bars, and shops that can make a neighborhood incredibly appealing (esp in Paris).

The HIs I mentioned are in neighborhoods that are much more mixed use -- combined commercial and residential. The HIs obviously don't have the same level of amenities and public areas as the IC. The IC does have an advantage in terms of transportation (more options to/from the airport, as well as better/faster transit via subway or bus).

TA reviews can be negative because of the room size. The room you'd get on points at Le Grand will likely be smaller than the room you'd get at either HI (though any will be small, unless you're RA and get upgraded).

For a week's stay, I might split between two HIs.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 7:33 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
Our very own nicolas75 created the Ultimate Paris Guide thread ^ that should be able to answer all your questions and more.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat
Thanks so much for all the help - and great Ultimate thread!!

I think I am going to book a week at HI Notre Dame as back-up for Hilton. I did stay at IC Le Grand a few years ago and loved it - but I am more of of an Upper West Side brownstone girl than a Park Avenue maven.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by TheBeerHunter
Our very own nicolas75 created the Ultimate Paris Guide thread ^ that should be able to answer all your questions and more.
Thank you

For even more information about Paris, visit : http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/franc...need-know.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.