Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Loyalty Programs > InterContinental Hotels | IHG Rewards Club and Intercontinental Ambassador
Sign in using an external account

Old Aug 13, 12, 10:28 am   #1

Programs: A few
Salt Lake City-Airport East HIX

Anyone recently stay there? Looking to take advantage of the 5000 extra points.

Thank you in advance!
eyezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 12, 8:01 pm   #2

Programs: UA 1K 1mm
Stayed there in mid May. It is a large hotel and appears to be new. It was difficult to locate not having a GPS. There are several hotels nearby. It is a good ways out of town toward the airport. It is in a business park. There was only one restaurant (sports bar/grill) within walking distance. Did not try the breakfast because of an early departure but suppose it was the standard fare. I left rental car at the airport and took the shuttle to the hotel and back to the airport the next am. The hotel has a van but they used a third party for the airport shuttles. There are reviews on TA.
mgmsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 12, 7:33 am   #3

Programs: AA EXP, IC Plat, CC Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt PLT...belong to most others but no status
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmsteven View Post
Stayed there in mid May. It is a large hotel and appears to be new. [...] There are several hotels nearby. It is a good ways out of town toward the airport. It is in a business park. There was only one restaurant (sports bar/grill) within walking distance. [...] took the shuttle to the hotel and back to the airport the next am. The hotel has a van but they used a third party for the airport shuttles.
Interesting, what you said that I quoted above could all be word for word about the Candlewood Suites at Salt Lake City airport, too! I stayed there last month for a couple nights. Chose the Candlewood due to the ridiculously low rate (something like $55/night), and I was able to get a $75 gift card for the stay too due to the 2 weekend night promo. The Candlewood is in the process of renovations, which I think explains the low rates. We got a newly done room, top floor.

The HIX is located near this place.

We went to the sports bar, which does a booming business (being the only thing nearby). Prices were reasonable. They had all sorts of game burgers, too. Decent fare for the type of establishment.

They too have a van but use a shuttle service (I think it was actually a taxi) for airport transportation.
TheBeerHunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 12, 3:09 pm   #4

How did you get that $55/nt rate?
unfrequentflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 12, 3:57 pm   #5

Programs: AA EXP, IC Plat, CC Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt PLT...belong to most others but no status
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer View Post
How did you get that $55/nt rate?
It was just the best available at the time I booked -- regular PC website, nothing special. Same rate (well, OK, $59) is available for the weekend I'm returning next month.
TheBeerHunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 12, 4:22 pm   #6

That must be a weekend rate. I found $84 prepaid weekday
unfrequentflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 12, 4:33 pm   #7

Programs: IHG Plat., SPG Plat. 75+, Marriott Silver, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz Gold Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmsteven View Post
Stayed there in mid May. It is a large hotel and appears to be new. It was difficult to locate not having a GPS. There are several hotels nearby. It is a good ways out of town toward the airport. It is in a business park. There was only one restaurant (sports bar/grill) within walking distance. Did not try the breakfast because of an early departure but suppose it was the standard fare. I left rental car at the airport and took the shuttle to the hotel and back to the airport the next am. The hotel has a van but they used a third party for the airport shuttles. There are reviews on TA.
I stayed here in the past. Dirt cheap using F&F rate.

Ice water is left out every evening. Cookies are made every evening as well. I liked the hotel, but I have basic needs compared to some on FT. Their well rounded experience is what helped me consider HIX hotels the "bare minimum I will accept". Standard HIX beds and breakfast. Yogurt, bacon, cereal, juices, etc.

So they set the standard for me in other words.

Location does suck, you are west of i-15 which is basicallllly "all ghetto" as far as I am concerned. You are RIGHT near the airport and some other ultra-close airport hotels.

If you go to SLC - try Settebello Pizza in downtown SLC or The Copper Onion - their beef wagyu stroganoff is mad decent.
factory81 is offline   Reply With Quote