Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Which are the most extraordinary Hotels in the Intercontinental chain? [merged]

Old Aug 26, 2015, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: quitecontrary
Please enter exceptional hotels here.
So far -
Hong Kong
Marseille
Bali
Saigon
Le Grand Paris
Singapore
Sydney (for the view)
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 17, 2000, 10:32 am
Original Poster

What is your favorite(s) inter-conti?
Old Aug 17, 2000, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
They're all the same. Really!
Old Aug 18, 2000, 9:05 am

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
No real favorite hotels, just favorite experiences:

1. An 8am checkin at the Mayfair in London after a transatlantic flight.
2. Upgrade to a corner suite when using a free night coupon and a cheap rate at the Willard in DC.

Who needs 'status' when you get the perks without being gold, plutonium, etc.?
Old Aug 18, 2000, 1:50 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The original one in NYC, (not the "new" one that on CPS), since it's the that permits one to enjoy "The City" as well as having served as the site of the Freddie Awards!

BTW- I've been there many times and seen the rooms, suites, food, service, etc but I've never actually checked in for a real stay there!
Old Aug 19, 2000, 3:49 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Doc,

It is an honor for me to finally be able to respond to your post. The Inter-continental NYC - on Lex Ave is remenisent of an era of travel that is no more. It reeks of the aura of Pan Am and the flying boats. It is too a place where service is still taken seriously. As a plus it is across from the W Hotel Kiddy corner and the bar there is outstanding any night of the week. All in all worth the trip if you are ever in the city. It could be my favorite though I have heard good things about the one in San Juan.
Old Aug 19, 2000, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Anyone stayed at Interconti in New Orleans?
Old Sep 19, 2000, 9:57 am
SST

I have a couple of favorites: the I-C in Montreal is very nice. Also, the Strand Inter-Continental in Helsinki is great. Their "partner property" in Koln, in Germany, is also a superb hotel. I'm *not* enamored of the Forum Hotel in London (is it possible to have a smaller bathroom?)

Let's hear some more from those of you who REALLY patronize I-C a lot!
Old Sep 19, 2000, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
New Orleans is just a bit off the main bustle of the city, which makes it a pleasant oasis. Yet it is only three or so blocks to walk into the French Quarter and Bourbon Street. In a positive sense, it is like most other ICs in its high standards and quality of treatment. (That's the problem in answering this question.)

However, if I were to select the best from my experiences over 20 years, they would include Singapore, Santiago,and the Mayfair and (no long an IC) the Britannia in London. Worst is a tie between Buenos Aires and Paris's Grand, both of which exuded a certain arrogance that was not acceptable in properties that both missed the mark in the usual high standards of other ICs. The Internconti Paris makes up for its sister property in all respects.

[This message has been edited by Shareholder (edited 09-20-2000).]
Old Sep 19, 2000, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(posted from the Intercontinental in Budapest and on my way to IC/Singapore)...

Singapore
Hong Kong (Kowloon, just updated)
Sydney
Helsinki
Budapest
Vienna
London (Forum) {new, updated rooms are actually pretty nice)
Old Sep 23, 2000, 6:55 am
mjm
Original Member

NYC on Lex. The CPS location is quaint and an easy stroll home from Jean-Georges, but the other one grabs my fancy.

I spend 20-30% of the year in the Singapore one and I wonder what you all think is terrific about it. Location is not central, Gym is tiny and poorly equipped (I am a workout freak), room service menu that is hardly more than average. Pluses are classy image, good business rooms, Service standard is high. I love the IC product across the board, but was struck by the apparent good image of the SIN property in this thread.
Old Sep 23, 2000, 7:29 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
[*]Strand Inter-Continental Helsinki, Finland (4 saunas with terrace)[*]May Fair Inter-Continental, London, England (a room with jacuzzi after having 'walked' London and nearby Bond Street)[*]Inter-Continental Medellin, Colombia (mountainside, overlooking the city)[*]Al Bustan Palace Inter-Continental Muscat, Sultanate of Oman (extensive lush gardens)[*]Inter-Continental New Delhi, India (the former Hilton, former Holiday-Inn, just because of it's location in walking distance from Connaught Place)[*]Le Grand Hotel Inter-Continental Paris, France (Opera Garnier location, atrium-style lobby, old-european grand-class,*-Restaurant)[*]Inter-Contionental Paris, France (rue Castiglione), (old-european grand-class)[*]Inter-Continental Rio, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (direct-beach-location; no road inbetween)[*]De La Ville Inter-Continental Roma, Italy (3 walking minutes from the Spanish stairs)[*]Mark Hopkins San Francisco (drinking a side-car at the 'Top of the Mark'-bar: sky lounge with Bay view)

at the very end: Inter-Continental Zurich (the worst location of any top hotel in my home-town)
Old Sep 23, 2000, 10:49 am
Original Member

I go with the May Fair Intercontinental too. Close second would have to be the Camino Real Intercontinental San Jose Costa Rica. Fabulous hotel. But still have lots of them to try. Worst one--Managua Nicaragua! I am sure its location is much worse than Zurich Rudi, and its beds are the worst I have ever slept on(as many from the Latin Pass journey will tell you)!

Djlawman

[This message has been edited by Djlawman (edited 09-23-2000).]
Old Dec 8, 2001, 6:32 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Which are the Most Extraordinary Hotels in the Intercontinental Chain? [merged]

What is your favorite Inter-Continental? Why?

Mine would have to be the Sydney IC, Australia. It was built out of the old treasury building, thus having a great interior. The property is also near the Quay/ferries, overlooks the harbor, executive lounge breakfast spread was great, next to botanical gardens, if pay for executive level room get comp limo service to and from airport.

others?
Old Dec 8, 2001, 9:48 pm
Original Member

Hallo Ladies,

Marvella Loves the Inter-Continental Sydney Too!

Afternoon tea in the Atrium or a quick lunch of Pasta at "Sketches", is always nice after a busy day of shopping up on Oxford Street.

The best Deal is using a UA 50% off coupon on the Jr Suites, beautiful views of the Harbor or Botanical Garden, for around 230.00USD per Nt.

Marvella
Old Dec 8, 2001, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, SPG GLD
Any tips for someone who'll be staying there in March. I'll just be staying there for a night but it'll be a B-Day (not mine) celebration. I don't have a UA coupon (since I only fly AA).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.