Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott to buy IHG??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2012, 11:01 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz Gold / Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Plat / Marriott Gold / IC RA / SPG Plat
Marriott to buy IHG??

Found this over on the Marriott forum:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/m...=feeds-newsxml

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d32029da-a...#axzz1wWrNbqTi

RA benefits at Marriotts??
Old Jun 1, 2012, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
How nice to see a photo of the Mayfair InterContinental again.

Oh wait. It's the Daily Mail group using up their ancient stock photos without bothering about accuracy.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 4:13 pm
JBa

Programs: some
Marriott just acquired the Gaylord hotels here in the US. Doubt that they go after IHG.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 6:42 pm
Suspended

It is not going to happen with Marriott. There are too much market overlapping in the two. The rumour spreaders always indicated Starwood and IHG. But I doubt that too.

Personally I think for IHG the merger would be more viable with the following candidates:

1) Fairmont
2) Hyatt
3) Jumeirah

I think under the current trends of middle east companies buying out British firms, I will not be surprised to see Jumeirah bid for IHG. If it is IHG making a bid for other firms, I would think Fairmont would be the perfect target. If it is mutual merger between two companies, I think Hyatt would be more interesting marriage than Marriott or Starwood.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
It would be a complete mess with a Marriott considering the number of brands etc. I am sure we would all love Marriott's "promos" of 50K points after 30 nights.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 8:35 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by chongcao
It is not going to happen with Marriott. There are too much market overlapping in the two. The rumour spreaders always indicated Starwood and IHG. But I doubt that too.

Personally I think for IHG the merger would be more viable with the following candidates:

1) Fairmont
2) Hyatt
3) Jumeirah

I think under the current trends of middle east companies buying out British firms, I will not be surprised to see Jumeirah bid for IHG. If it is IHG making a bid for other firms, I would think Fairmont would be the perfect target. If it is mutual merger between two companies, I think Hyatt would be more interesting marriage than Marriott or Starwood.

Can't imagine Fairmont. They're already partnered with Swissotel and Raffles Resorts; I can see Swissotel aquiring Fairmont though.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 11:47 pm

Programs: hyatt
rumors, not going to happen...if do, they would have like 10k hotels world wide
Old Jun 2, 2012, 10:04 pm

I hope not

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.