Wiki Posts
Search

IC - Bora Bora - To use BOGO or Not?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2012, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
IC - Bora Bora - To use BOGO or Not?

One more related to the trip next year...
Staying at IC Bora Bora for 7 days...

Is it better to pay 350K and get free stay all 7 days.
AMB upgrade presumably from the 'coral suite' to a Sapphire level room for the entire stay.
vs

Pay 250K and get 5 nights free - AMB to sapphire.
Pay $1,200 and use a BOGO for the other 2 nights, and book at Diamond level - AMB then upgrades to Diamond OTE (highest level).
The only reason to do this of course is hoping they would upgrade even the free nights to Diamond or something to that effect.

Question: are the diamond vs sapphire rooms enough of a difference to make it worth while spending the extra $600. (assuming 100K pts = $600, so it's be incrementally $600 more).

Thanks!!
Old May 14, 2012, 2:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
"Is it better to pay 350K and get free stay all 7 days.
AMB upgrade presumably from the 'coral suite' to a Sapphire level room for the entire stay"

I don't think this will happen as an ambassador. The best case scenario would be all nights to Emerald. IC Thalasso considers from Coral Suite to Emerald OWB as one level upgrade, although both at the same price.

For your second option, you will be lucky enough to stay at a diamond OWB for all 7 nights as an ambassador. I cannot comment if you will be upgraded to diamond Otemanu but based on what I know, the chance will be very slim.
Old May 14, 2012, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lewende
For your second option, you will be lucky enough to stay at a diamond OWB for all 7 nights as an ambassador. I cannot comment if you will be upgraded to diamond Otemanu but based on what I know, the chance will be very slim.
Thanks! How is Emerald room quality vs Sapphire vs Diamond etc?

Also, if i used BOGO and booked at Diamond, doesn't the AMB upgrade guarantee at least those 2 nights in the Diamond Otemanu?

Finally, should i join AMB THEN book the award nights. or book award nights, and join later?
Old May 14, 2012, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by vmsea
Also, if i used BOGO and booked at Diamond, doesn't the AMB upgrade guarantee at least those 2 nights in the Diamond Otemanu?
Not necessarily. AMB upgrade is subject to availability and in addition, one level up to Diamond is Diamond Fin de Ponton, not Diamond Otemanu, which is considered two-level up.

All OWBs are the same size, and their only difference is the view.

It doesn't matter when you purchase AMB membership now or later. IC Thalasso won't look at your upgrade until 7-10 days before your arrival.
Old May 15, 2012, 12:04 am

Programs: hyatt
if you have $1200 to burn, why not...
Old May 15, 2012, 2:15 am

Not necessarily. AMB upgrade is subject to availability and in addition, one level up to Diamond is Diamond Fin de Ponton, not Diamond Otemanu, which is considered two-level up.
AMB upgrade should be guaranteed on paid stays.
Old May 15, 2012, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by Lack
AMB upgrade should be guaranteed on paid stays.
What if the hotel doesn't have upgrade availability?
Old May 15, 2012, 6:01 am

What if the hotel doesn't have upgrade availability?
Usually they'll try to accomodate you buy lowering the rate down one level.
Old May 15, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
1. ALL rooms are IDENTICAL here except for the view.

2. The amazing view is pretty much the same from the pontoon of every room, it is only the view from the bedroom of the Diamond Otemanus's that really differentiates them.

3. If paying cash, and having a qualifying night is not important to you , there are much lower prices available from travel agents which may even include half board etc, to use for your first night, which many people agree makes some sense in terms of securing an upgrade.

4. The consensus appears to be not to engage with the hotel in advance to secure a paid upgrade, as no-one to my knowledge has ever reported being asked to move during their stay. (albeit I DID actually arrange my own upgrade in advance so what do I know!)

5. only one person on FT who has visited seems to have been forced to stay in the Coral Villas http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15473828-post368.html. (thanks to MSC75 for the link)

6. the 'lesser concensus' seems to suggest that paying for the first few nights is a good idea as it smooths out the process.

Last edited by catharsis; May 16, 2012 at 3:26 pm Reason: edited to reflect MSC75's info below
Old May 15, 2012, 2:17 pm

Programs: GP plat, SPG plat
Originally Posted by catharsis

5. No one ever seems to have reported being forced to stay in the Coral Motu Villa's, at least on FT.
I've never stayed at IC's and will be using rewards for a 3 night stay (cc and purchased points). I really hope you're right and I'm not the one to tell the tale.
Old May 16, 2012, 6:27 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bouncingbug
I've never stayed at IC's and will be using rewards for a 3 night stay (cc and purchased points). I really hope you're right and I'm not the one to tell the tale.
I believe there are only 2 coral family suites as anytime I try to reserve more than 2 coral rooms, that category gets excluded, so unless the hotel is completely booked, I believe you'll get upgraded. Remember the hotel wants you to spend incidentals at their resort and keep you happy to maximize their profit.
Old May 16, 2012, 12:17 pm

I agree that you'd have to get very unlucky to be stuck in the coral room, especially since there are only 2 or 3 of them and a lot of people staying on points. However, there IS one report in Flyertalk from someone who had to stay there for one night:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15473828-post368.html
Old May 16, 2012, 3:27 pm

One more related to the trip next year...
Staying at IC Bora Bora for 7 days...

Is it better to pay 350K and get free stay all 7 days.
AMB upgrade presumably from the 'coral suite' to a Sapphire level room for the entire stay.
vs

Pay $1,200 and use a BOGO for the other 2 nights, and book at Diamond level - AMB then upgrades to Diamond OTE (highest level).
The only reason to do this of course is hoping they would upgrade even the free nights to Diamond or something to that effect.

Question: are the diamond vs sapphire rooms enough of a difference to make it worth while spending the extra $600. (assuming 100K pts = $600, so it's be incrementally $600 more).

Thanks!!
The Diamond will require more walking. We received the upgrade to the Sapphire across the beach and the boat board walk. Still, it was amazing to the eyes.

We were very happy with what we got. Privacy wise, people take kayaks so they can peek into all the villas and decks. While we didn't see the mountain from our room, we saw it from every other spot in the hotel. It was enough.

What an amazing hotel.
Old May 18, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: UA PP, 2 MM; IC;

Thanks!!
I did this exact thing last year... except I had 6 nights on points and two on BOGOS... when I was done, I wish I had not used the BOGO, as I felt like it was a waste.. Le Moana rather than Thalasso, but they are essentially the same in policy (same operator and policies re IHG)
Old May 18, 2012, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Buzzman
I did this exact thing last year... except I had 6 nights on points and two on BOGOS... when I was done, I wish I had not used the BOGO, as I felt like it was a waste.. Le Moana rather than Thalasso, but they are essentially the same in policy (same operator and policies re IHG)
what was the outcome?
did you get fully upgraded the entire stay?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.