Attention! You consumed minibar 'ABOVE AVERAGE'!

Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:46 am

Programs: IC Spire Amb, Hilton, Marriott, BA, VA.
Originally Posted by onlysuites
I don't drink in the hotel room but the IC NYC sent me a email. I guess I over did it on the soft stuff.
This would immediately make me think that someone else has raided the minibar after I have checked out. I'm fairly certain you should never receive an email like that if you haven't touched the alcohol and only consumed soft drinks.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:07 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Originally Posted by AMDB7
This would immediately make me think that someone else has raided the minibar after I have checked out. I'm fairly certain you should never receive an email like that if you haven't touched the alcohol and only consumed soft drinks.
full stop!
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by mitpat474
full stop!
Every time this thread pops up I get an image (Think the Hilton spoof you tube but I'm a diamond guest vid) of someone standing holding on to the front desk whilst swaying and slurring as they "But I'm a a Royal Ambassador"

It does seem a bit much tbh. I'm not surprised they count what is being used as obviously it will need to be accounted for.

IC mini bars are quite well stocked generally but even then there is not enough in there to be used for "Entertainment" purposes.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:42 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by nicolas75
I never drink much more than Diet Coke and water. Still, I would really hate to receive such an email (and I really wonder what have done guests to get such an email).

By the way, is IHG going to monitor people getting out of the room and asking if they have drunk something from the minibar?
Originally Posted by onlysuites
I don't drink in the hotel room but the IC NYC sent me a email. I guess I over did it on the soft stuff.
Wait a minute, if it is a published benefits and they supply the goods, I'd see that as a green light to use as mush as needed!

If they don't want you to use, then they should foresee that a RA is arriving and fill the mini-bar accordingly, no?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Will those under-average RA's please open, empty the bottles down the sink and place empties in their bin.

This will drive the average RA consumption higher, and then the bigger drinkers will be much nearer the average and not get these petty letters.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Will those under-average RA's please open, empty the bottles down the sink and place empties in their bin.

This will drive the average RA consumption higher, and then the bigger drinkers will be much nearer the average and not get these petty letters.
I wonder if the hotels have to report to IHG the cost of the consumption and IHG keep a running total of this and an email is triggered if you go a certain percentage over your average.

Someone must be keeping tabs somewhere.

Scuba is right - the average needs to be raised, but please remember no entertaining
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by scubaccr

LOL, that was funny

This whole thing is so stupid I think. I have never received this type of letter and I am sure I have been above "average" several times. Especially when the minibar is good.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 5:49 am

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Wait a minute, if it is a published benefits and they supply the goods, I'd see that as a green light to use as mush as needed!
The flaw is in the way they define the benefit.

They want this to be a nice perk, and probably envision someone going back to the room and having an occasional beer/wine/snack.

But the rules don't define it that way. Or at a minimum, they leave it open for misinterpretation.

The precise wording leaves some to (perhaps justifiably) use it as they see fit, including using their room as the party room! There is nothing in the current rules that say you can't!

They could easily fix this with a slight modification. Rather than saying free (implied unlimited) use of the minibar.... they could instead say "You are welcome to choose any items from the minibar for in-room use and as our honored guest we will waive the first $x dollars of charges."

Of course, it doesn't have as nice of a ring as "free minibar", but it could eliminate the grey area.

Or, they could still call it "complimentary minibar use", with a footnote saying "up to $x value per day"
Old Nov 1, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: IHG
Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
The flaw is in the way they define the benefit.

They want this to be a nice perk, and probably envision someone going back to the room and having an occasional beer/wine/snack.

But the rules don't define it that way. Or at a minimum, they leave it open for misinterpretation.

The precise wording leaves some to (perhaps justifiably) use it as they see fit, including using their room as the party room! There is nothing in the current rules that say you can't!

They could easily fix this with a slight modification. Rather than saying free (implied unlimited) use of the minibar.... they could instead say "You are welcome to choose any items from the minibar for in-room use and as our honored guest we will waive the first $x dollars of charges."

Of course, it doesn't have as nice of a ring as "free minibar", but it could eliminate the grey area.

Or, they could still call it "complimentary minibar use", with a footnote saying "up to $x value per day"

Let's not give them any fancy ideas
Old Nov 1, 2014, 8:58 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
The last two HI in Beijing do it in a similar way: I can choose up to 6 soft drinks/juice/water from the minibar per day -- non-cumulative.

HTB.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.