FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Pilot Programme for Consistent Benefits? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1301323-pilot-programme-consistent-benefits.html)

username Jan 11, 2012 12:13 pm

Pilot Programme for Consistent Benefits?

I checked into a CP last Friday. The Front Desk guy said they are in a brand new pilot program to provide a more consistent level benefits to elites (I was Platinum).

He said the choices were:

- 1,000 points
- Snack/Water
- Something else I don't remember - but not breakfast

The guy said they had been offering free breakfast but had to stop it due to this program.

I guess in a way it is a good thing but not so good when it means a downgrade at the property.

ag51 Jan 11, 2012 1:03 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.314 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/125)

Interesting - don't Hyatt do something similar (although with a better choice?)

MXM135 Jan 11, 2012 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by username (Post 17793907)
I checked into a CP last Friday. The Front Desk guy said they are in a brand new pilot program to provide a more consistent level benefits to elites (I was Platinum).

- 1,000 points
- Snack/Water

The guy said they had been offering free breakfast but had to stop it due to this program.

I guess in a way it is a good thing but not so good when it means a downgrade at the property.

This isn't new. I have encountered this at many IHG properties where I could choose my own 'local amenity/benefit' for being a platinum member.

mxm135 :)

adobbing Jan 11, 2012 4:32 pm

- 1,000 points
- Snack/Water

Perhaps they need to look at Hilton HHonors!

Last year I got;
  • Upgraded on every stay apart from one.
  • Executive lounge access at every Hotel where it was available.
  • Free Breakfast for me and partner every stay.
  • Free water on every stay at a Hilton / Doubletree.
  • Free internet every stay.
  • 5 Free nights from various promotions.
  • Numerous small bottles of wine/ fruit bowls / chocolates / cookies etc
  • Airline Miles sufficient to get me four return international flights.

When I look at the list above I know now why I have just dropped a tier with IHG and why Hilton got so much of my business!!

FlyerTalker688786 Jan 12, 2012 2:59 am

Originally Posted by MXM135 (Post 17794324)
This isn't new. I have encountered this at many IHG properties where I could choose my own 'local amenity/benefit' for being a platinum member.

mxm135 :)

I think OP means system wide benefit rather than local benefits. It may be pushed to global Crowne Plaza brand in future.

tgsh2006 Jan 12, 2012 7:04 am

I encountered this at Liverpool CP on 26 December. Having noticed a marked decline in Platinum benefits (ie from excellent to non existent) I discussed it with the front of house manager. She explained these new "wonderful" options (the 3rd is a voucher for a drink btw) and I gave her my immediate (negative) feedback.

kit125 Jan 12, 2012 7:20 am

- 1,000 points
- Snack/Water

I've been staying at a CP every week (Reading, PA) for the last few months and have not heard of this. I would say inconsistency still reigns supreme...some weeks they recognize my RA status (which I know they don't have to) and give me free movie, free drink and appetizer in restaurant, upgrade, and free breakfast. Other weeks is just the upgrade and breakfast. They also have wheel (a la "Wheel of Fortune") at the Front Desk for all PC members (not just elite) offering an opportunity to win a variety of perks (1,000 and 5,000 points are posssible). I feel better off with what this property offers than what's proposed above.

adobbing Jan 12, 2012 7:27 am

Originally Posted by tgsh2006 (Post 17799113)
I encountered this at Liverpool CP on 26 December. Having noticed a marked decline in Platinum benefits (ie from excellent to non existent) I discussed it with the front of house manager. She explained these new "wonderful" options (the 3rd is a voucher for a drink btw) and I gave her my immediate (negative) feedback.

Used the CP Liverpool several times a few years ago, didn't get anything as a Platinum on either occasion.
Only lame excuses as to why they wouldn't upgrade me, despite the hotel being less than half full. Was even told they didn't have an exec lounge, even though you could see it from the front desk!

Contrast that with the Hilton Liverpool, where I have been upgraded on every stay even on rewards redemptions. They recently even put me in a full suite on a rewards stay!
I have always been given exec lounge access and a choice of free breakfast in either lounge or restaurant.
Since it opened just along the road I haven't even considered the CP Liverpool, to be honest I had forgotten it was there.

If you see my previous post, you will perhaps understand why IHG don't see me that often now!

Cybrandian Jan 12, 2012 11:30 am

Have stayed at CP Liverpool three times in last 18 months. First was as Gold, next two as Platinum.

On each occasion was given a voucher with a few options on it. Can't remember all the options because I always went for the free parking for one night choice.

Have never been offered lounge access, though have always received a water view room.

I get the impression that PC members are given similar benefits, irrespective of status, but others may have different experiences.

zerafa Jan 13, 2012 11:15 am

the rate booked as a lot to do with it, best flexible always results in an upgrade for me

mnredfox Jan 13, 2012 3:15 pm

Starting to look like HH.

Bicknell55 Jan 16, 2012 1:32 pm

I stayed at the CP in Valley Forge, PA on Jan 6 & 7 and was given the same offer of either:

1000 points
bottle of water & snack
drink at the bar/lounge

I was also given a certificate for free breakfast each day. Since I was staying for a conference which provided free drinks each day I went with the 1000 points.

Doug_1970 Jan 17, 2012 1:02 am

I just stayed at the HI Brighton and was given a similar offer on check in, but for a 500 point voucher, not 1000. The other choices were a bar discount voucher and a goodie bag (using the word 'goodie' in its loosest possible form).

stanontour Jan 17, 2012 5:43 am

Also had the same as doug_1970 at the HH Northampton the last 3 times i have stopped there. choice of:

500 points
free drink at bar
water + chocolates

Bicknell55 Jan 17, 2012 7:08 pm

Maybe the number of points depends on the length of stay? I got two 500 point vouchers and was staying for 2 nights. Maybe 500 points/night is the standard offer?