Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG Premium Visa card [UK] (was PC Rewards Black Visa Card)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2011, 4:14 am
Original Poster

IHG Premium Visa card [UK] (was PC Rewards Black Visa Card)

1). 40K sign up bonus
2) Free night when you spend 10K.
3) 2 pts/£
4) Annual fee £99, first year free if apply by 29th Feb.

priorityclub.com/jan12

Last edited by ysb41; Dec 31, 2011 at 4:17 am Reason: add more info.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Thanks for posting. I will take a look! Total no-brainer if its fee-free for first year, though.

EDIT - where do you see 'fee free until 29 Feb'? No mention on the link you provided.

Last edited by Raffles; Dec 31, 2011 at 6:41 am
Old Dec 31, 2011, 6:42 am

Programs: PC Platinum Amb
Originally Posted by ysb41
1). 40K sign up bonus
2) Free night when you spend 10K.
3) 2 pts/£
4) Annual fee £99, first year free if apply by 29th Feb.

priorityclub.com/jan12
NOTE if your an existing Priority Club VISA hold you DO NOT get the 40000 points when upgrading....
Old Dec 31, 2011, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, IHG Plat, HH Gold.
A free night when you spend ten grand?

Wow

JAT
Old Dec 31, 2011, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Raffles
where do you see 'fee free until 29 Feb'? No mention on the link you provided.
It was mentioned in the flyer I received today, to qualify for the 40K pts and first year fee free, you must apply at priorityclub.com/jan12 , or return the form enclosed by 29th Feb 2012, as far as I can see, the offer is not targeted!

some additional info:

4 pts/£ at IHG
4 pts/£ when spend overseas.

I would say it is a decent offer.........
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:15 am

As it stands the card is poor value. 10K for a one night stay. If the fee is waved then it is good for one years use, esp with the potential to earn 50000 pc points as well.

However I also cant see the fee free year being spoken of anywhere?
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by JAT74L
A free night when you spend ten grand?

Wow

JAT
Don't be too cynical. Used at a major IC, especially midweek, you could get £250 of value, so 2.5% rebate on your £10k spend. Plus the 20k points you earned on your £10k. However, you'd need to be on the fee-free deal to make it work, £99 fee makes it less fun. And, of course, you can buy 40k points for $240 for the highest level redemption, so can't really say they are worth more.

Note that if you go via pc.com, the offer is only 20k for signing up. If you use the 40k link above, prepare for the risk of having to fight for 40k rather than 20k if not targetted.

Last edited by Raffles; Dec 31, 2011 at 3:09 pm
Old Jan 1, 2012, 6:35 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
I have the ordinary PCR Visa but discovered that whilst £1 spent (non IHG spend) earns one PC reward point. A £1 spend on my American Express card earns one Amex Reward Point which is then transferable to PCR points for 1.5 points, a 50% uplift. Bonkers.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Keefy-boy
I have the ordinary PCR Visa but discovered that whilst £1 spent (non IHG spend) earns one PC reward point. A £1 spend on my American Express card earns one Amex Reward Point which is then transferable to PCR points for 1.5 points, a 50% uplift. Bonkers.
Not really - Amex cards will always earn much higher rates of reward because the transactions are charged to merchants at a much higher rate. You'll find this to be true consistently across all reward-earning cards.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 12:57 am

Programs: OW E, *A RCC, BE P. IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat, BW Diamond. AMEX Plat
Thanks for the link will sign up. A shame we don't have anything like our US counterparts.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 3:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold, Virgin FC Red
Thanks for posting. I will take a look! Total no-brainer if its fee-free for first year, though.

EDIT - where do you see 'fee free until 29 Feb'? No mention on the link you provided.
The Summary Box states "we will charge you an annual account fee of £99 on account opening and on each anniversary of that date"

Maybe the fee is only waived for targetted applicants?
Old Jan 2, 2012, 4:18 am

Don't be too cynical. Used at a major IC, especially midweek, you could get £250 of value, so 2.5% rebate on your £10k spend. Plus the 20k points you earned on your £10k. However, you'd need to be on the fee-free deal to make it work, £99 fee makes it less fun. And, of course, you can buy 40k points for $240 for the highest level redemption, so can't really say they are worth more.

Note that if you go via pc.com, the offer is only 20k for signing up. If you use the 40k link above, prepare for the risk of having to fight for 40k rather than 20k if not targetted.
This is a good point, its just a shame that there are not that many ICs in the UK. When you add to that the fee and the 10k spend it doesnt seem that worthwhile. However on the plus side it is a visa card and therefore accepted in more places than an AMEX.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 5:29 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
This doesn't look targeted - the form even allows a non-PC member to apply and a new account be created (although this didn't seem to be an option on-line).

I really can't see how anyone in the UK can lose out with this. Because there's no minimum spend requirement, you could buy something for a few pounds, get the 40k points, wait for the £99 fee to be credited back, get the credit card company to refund your now credit balance, cancel the card and walk away. That's the risk PC and the credit card company take - that some people will play the game, but many others will keep paying the fee and spending. Only fair to keep the balance somewhere near the consumers' side, isn't it?
Old Jan 2, 2012, 6:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold, Virgin FC Red
Agree - as long as the fee doesn't apply, which I still cannot find stated anywhere!
Old Jan 2, 2012, 6:47 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by essexadventurer
Agree - as long as the fee doesn't apply, which I still cannot find stated anywhere!
Only on the letter, as far as I can see ... it says "£99 will be credited to your account within 30 days of 29th February 2012".

... but the letter also directs you to the website to apply, and says the special offer is only available either on-line or by filling in the form.

It also offers the opportunity to take the information in large print, Braille or audio format by calling - 0800 096 0126. Might be worth a call to get alternative paperwork sent to you that reflects the fee refund for peace of mind - it's very easy for all of us who hold letters to be confident, but I'd probably be as wary as essexadventurer otherwise!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.