Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG Premium Visa card [UK] (was PC Rewards Black Visa Card)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2012, 11:55 am

I also received the 'invite' 31/12/11- I was offered 40k points; the Mrs got an invite too and was offered 20k points. I am an existing credit card-holder whereas the Mrs is not, though she is a PC member.

As mentioned previously in the thread it is only in the accompanying letter where the £99 fee is stated will be refunded. I can see nothing in the paperwork about the 40k being for new credit card holders only, only that caveat being as stated via the online link.

Without the points then even with the 1st year refund then its not worth the hassle. But I am thinking of giving it a go - there is a 14 day cool off period as well; if I dont get the points then I'll just cancel them both at the best time as to not incur expense / cut my losses.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Ironically, on Dec 31st, both my wife and I, both Plats, got a letter from Barclaycard promoting their bog standard credit card, not the PC one!
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:18 am

the big problem with the pc card is that the emegerncy number on the back is not 24 hrs - it's UK "extended" business hours.

which is bizarre considering the market it is targetted at

their security bot has stopped my card due to overseas tranactions on more than one occation - ok with that, just when you then try to call them to tell them it is all good - they are closed.....

stopped unsing mine for that very reason - no idea if the Black will offer 24hr contact though?
Old Jan 14, 2012, 6:34 pm

Has anyone put in for the card & got any responses to confirm either 20k or 40k? I'm awaiting their decision as I chose the old fashioned route and sent in my application via paper & snail mail.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 6:10 am

Programs: Platinum Ambassador, HH Gold
When you apply online(which I have) the application says any targeted offer you have had will be honored or words to the effect. Theys stick the £99 on your account within a couple of days. No points have been lodged as yet.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 9:05 am

I assume from the lack of a post to the contrary, that it is being assuming that the waiver of the annual fee is only likely be honoured for receipients of the letter?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:26 pm

Just to confirm as was mentioned earlier on in the thread, that if you are an existing PC Credit Card holder then it will be £20k points you will receive. Even if you got a letter tell you that it is £40k points as I did. And you can only upgrade online - the paperwork and the self addressed envelope they sent me to apply, was again, in error.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 3:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
Originally Posted by mister.c.
Just to confirm as was mentioned earlier on in the thread, that if you are an existing PC Credit Card holder then it will be £20k points you will receive. Even if you got a letter tell you that it is £40k points as I did. And you can only upgrade online - the paperwork and the self addressed envelope they sent me to apply, was again, in error.
Bad timing from me. I applied to upgrade the card before Christmas, so no bonus 20K points and no first year fee free. I was just looking for better value than I getting from the standard PC Visa and that became more important when I retired the bmi MC as my non-Amex option.

I got better, if not actually good, value out of the move to PC Black, so I don't begrudge the rest of you...
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
The bonus offers vary. Mrs Roger has received a snailmail upgrade offer: 25,000 points for first purchase within 90 days and free for the first year (£99 charged in first month, refunded in second month).

'We noticed you haven't been using your card recently ...' She (I?) must have forgotten to cancel it. I got rid of mine a while ago and haven't had an offer for this card.

I'm thinking it would be rude of her to decline the offer in spite of my feelings about Barclays ...
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:15 am

Offered 25K points

I was offered 25K points for upgrading to the black card through the website. I've seen some people say they were offered 40K and some 20K, so maybe this is targetted at Platinum members and they used some strange calculation method to offer different customers different amounts of point.

Either way, I was chuffed and accepted the offer. The first year's £99 will be refunded and I don't have to worry about high interest charges because I pay off my account in full by Direct debit every month anyway.

Just for your info, there's a cool little bar at the bottom of the credit card statement page which records your progress on spending £10K to get the free night.

I agree, 1 free night for spending £10K isn't amazing, but add to that 25K points (5 free pointsbreak nights!!), double points for spending and a year 'free trial' I just couldn't refuse.... Oh, and I won't have to try as hard to keep my Platinum status for next year now!!!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: F
Can anyone actually login to their online servicing for this card? I just get a server error after entering my PIN digits. Phoned up customer services, who said this was a known problem that they were working on and should be resolved shortly - but I have faced this for a week now.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Originally Posted by redshift27
Can anyone actually login to their online servicing for this card? I just get a server error after entering my PIN digits. Phoned up customer services, who said this was a known problem that they were working on and should be resolved shortly - but I have faced this for a week now.
+1

Exactly the same for me. So I can't actually see my spend or due date yet. I am working away this week (staying in one of their hotels!) so will need to sort it out at the weekend when I get home.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

oh and i both received the upgrade offer, easy 50K pts.... gr8!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
We got a mailing for this today. 25000 points and fee added for first year.

Nowhere in the mailing does it say points for new customers only so I guess this is a targeted offer.

I did phone PC visa and they said 20000 points so I asked why the mailing said 25000 points. She didn't know but did say if that is what it says on the mailing then that is what we will get!

Worth it for the first year I think.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:33 pm

Programs: Priority CLub Platinum
So,
25000 points offered
and a target of £10,000 to reach
If the £10,000 is spent on normal UK shopping (i.e. not abroad or at IHG), then this is another 20000 points
So, in total, you'll have 45,000 points plus a free night cert

If my current usage habits for my CC usage remain the same, I can get to Platinum this year without having to stay in any hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.